Swing Arm For GPX4500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1556683578_swing_arm.jpg

Hi Guys, keen to get some feed back.
Getting older is not much fun and with a crook shoulder find it difficult to swing a detector for long periods of time.
What are your thoughts on the swing arm?
Does it work?
What are my options?
Where can I buy one?

Cheers

HH

yes I understand where you are coming from HH we had the same trouble ,we ended up using 2 bungee cords 1 mounted in the normal spot and the other mounted between the handle and the detector box joined together where they hook onto your harness ,I made a bar with a V in the middle for the hook to go into this way the bungee cords are pulling in the middle of your chest it make a triangle regards john

Hi there HH,

I have osteo in my right shoulder and had my main front right neck muscle removed a few years back, this means I really struggle to swing the gpx4500 with one arm for any longer than 1 hr, I also struggle with poking the coil between scrub, so I got a swing arm (pictured) and have never looked back.
I can comfortably swing for 3-4 hrs no problem as my arms are sharing 50/50 push/pull, it also means you get so much more strength to push the coil between those pesky grassy clumps and detecting inclines or sides of slopes etc is so much easier. My osteo in the shoulder joint doesn't play up at all and I wouldn't swing the gpx without it.
When using a bigger coil it also gives you so much more control over your swing, well worth the money.

I was talking to someone the other day about the swing arm and they had the straight handle like the one you pictured and they didn't like it as they said it was difficult to hang onto. I find mine real easy to hang onto and my only wish is that it was slightly longer so I could put the mount knuckle lower on the shaft for even more control, I'm working on modifying the length.

I know GSA in Dunnolly used to sell them, there's one for Minelab and one for Whites machines, mine was for my TDI SL when I had it and the only difference is a thin clear sleeve inside the mounting knuckle, I removed the sleeve so it would fit the gpx as the gpx shaft is about 2mm (thereabouts) bigger in diam. so if you decide to get one of these swing arms don't be fussed which one you get as they are exactly the same apart from that sleeve.
Hope this helps.

1556695057_20190501_165724.jpg

ProspectorPete said:
Hi there HH,

I have osteo in my right shoulder and had my main front right neck muscle removed a few years back, this means I really struggle to swing the gpx4500 with one arm for any longer than 1 hr, I also struggle with poking the coil between scrub, so I got a swing arm (pictured) and have never looked back.
I can comfortably swing for 3-4 hrs no problem as my arms are sharing 50/50 push/pull, it also means you get so much more strength to push the coil between those pesky grassy clumps and detecting inclines or sides of slopes etc is so much easier. My osteo in the shoulder joint doesn't play up at all and I wouldn't swing the gpx without it.
When using a bigger coil it also gives you so much more control over your swing, well worth the money.

I was talking to someone the other day about the swing arm and they had the straight handle like the one you pictured and they didn't like it as they said it was difficult to hang onto. I find mine real easy to hang onto and my only wish is that it was slightly longer so I could put the mount knuckle lower on the shaft for even more control, I'm working on modifying the length.

I know GSA in Dunnolly used to sell them, there's one for Minelab and one for Whites machines, mine was for my TDI SL when I had it and the only difference is a thin clear sleeve inside the mounting knuckle, I removed the sleeve so it would fit the gpx as the gpx shaft is about 2mm (thereabouts) bigger in diam. so if you decide to get one of these swing arms don't be fussed which one you get as they are exactly the same apart from that sleeve.
Hope this helps.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3820/1556695057_20190501_165724.jpg

thanks for your help i will give this a try if the bungy does not work

cheers

hh

HH
I have shoulder problems too.
After trying a standard bungee then a hip stick without satisfactory relief I moved to the double J pro-swing harness with bungee hooked to the cross chest piece and a control arm. Was expensive but was the best investment and can now swing without shoulder and neck problems. The combination is brilliant. Weight centred in the middle of the chest and the Y-shape of control arm and detector shaft creates very even balanced weight.

After talking with Dignit and Bigwave I bought a Pro-swing 45 Harness, I have only used the RH J strut and I can detect for around 4 hours before I get shoulder discomfort.
I did get the RH and LH J struts plus the cross bar, yet to try that set up.

Hi HH, I use this Control Arm bought on ebay in October last year from the same seller shown.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Accesso...m2ac6760ba4:g:6pwAAMXQQJBQ9INo&frcectupt=true

It is an absolute cracker! Makes a huge difference on the strain on my back, shoulders and neck, and also helps me control my swing a lot more.

I agree with ProspectorPete, regarding the straight arm variety. I don't think it's as ergonomically designed and I think you'd end up with a sore wrist and maybe elbow too.
The one shown in the link that I bought comes in a Left and a Right version, which basically is just a slight off-set in the handle that accommodates the natural angle of your hand/wrist depending on whether you are left handed or right handed.

I'm often pushing a 20" coil (and sometimes a 21x17) on a GPX 5000 with an extended lower shaft, all day through the bush when I go detecting and this arm has made it a hell of a lot easier. If I want to set up differently with a smaller coil I stick on the standard shaft, let this handle just hang down and swing without it. I would never take it off now. :Y:

I made a swing arm for my 4500 and it certainly helps. Gives you better coil control, distributes a little weight (I know its hard to see why but it does) plus if working hills or gullies, its heaps easier to move to coil up and down banks.

I made mine out of an old graphite fishing rod .very easy to do and you can custom it to your own needs. I find it not only takes some of the strain of your shoulder but also your hand and wrist. I broke two handgrips on the gpx previously but since using the pusharm have not had anymore probs as you only need to grip the handle very lightly to guide the machine and swing it with the pusharm.
Jim

Just checked it mbasko, looks the same as the one I bought but at a much cheaper price - $24.95 as opposed to $59.95! Great value :perfect: (either that or I got fleeced :lol: )

Latest posts