my favourite mineral piece

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys as you can guess iam really interested in Osmiridium, which Tasmania was a major producer so far this is my only example we i got off a good friend a 2mm nugget about 0.1 of a gram which i hope i get more in the future. I know its been found in other states has anyone else found it
1556595232_osmiridium_nugget.jpg

Wishfull said:
I tried looking it up for current price but it seems hard to find that as well.
The premium for nuggets is FAR more than with gold (it is an alloy of two metals, the osmium metal itself is around $US400/oz, iridium around $US1500) - but nuggets fetch far more than gold nuggets.

Thanks Goldie yes about 1500 us an OZ but most is found in fine grains so nuggets are fair bit rarer

indi said:
Thanks Goldie yes about 1500 us an OZ but most is found in fine grains so nuggets are fair bit rarer
Absolutely - I saw some offered at $90 per gram. Anything over an ounce would be a museum specimen.

i have offered 90 a gram for it in various advertisements with not much luck

Ded Driver said:
for interest, a good indicator of rare & valuable metal prices
Rare World Metals Mint doesn't sell Osmiridium as its not a pure metal, but they do the 2 pure metals
https://www.rwmmint.com/
Yes, that is what I quoted. However it is a bit meaningless, because of the cost of refining to get the pure metals, and because nuggets are so rare that they get a much better price.

Latest posts