Gold Sovereigns And The Equinox

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, so what I understand is gold sovs will be either 15 or 18 on the equinox. How accurate is that though, I get alot of 17-18s. I've found a spot where I'm popping up quite a few pre dec coins and I want to go check for sovs.

I'm here in Australia for another 9 months and am trying really hard to get a sov while I'm here and I'm just wondering how others go about it. I'm also nearing the end of my stay in Victoria which I understand is probably my best chance.

I typically have my equinox set up so I have everything above 19 or 20 set to loud high tones to stand out to scout for coins to see if it's been hit hard or not. Now I've found a spot that seems pretty consistent and am wondering if I should include 15 onwards to stand out and just start digging all the 15s and 18s.

I know there's no exact science to finding the goods but I'm wondering if anyone has any pointers. I'm trying to get better acquainted with park hunting instead of my normal beach stuff. It's been alot of fun so far and I've enjoyed using the awesome resources like trove you guys have here.

I have a chart I saved from this forum with a bunch of Aussie coins and it lists the full sov at 18 and half at 15. Anyone have any idea?

Hookka said:
I have a chart I saved from this forum with a bunch of Aussie coins and it lists the full sov at 18 and half at 15. Anyone have any idea?
That's what numbers came up on my 800 with air tests :Y:

Hey mate, the half sov my wife found rung up as a 14-15 and my full sov i found rang up and a 18-19

Smoky bandit said:
ctxkid said:
try then putting it in the ground and you will see tid changes depending on soils
Nope makes no difference with the nox mate.A coin at the beach id.s the same as one from the park its also the same when air tested imo.
I do agree that air tests are not accurate for depth though :Y:

Yep same on the ground, in the air or in the ground but depth will come into factor

That would be great to see a video. I think the air tests are pretty handy at least for a tid. I've yet to see real changes besides some very slight ones like having a tendency to stick to the higher number when the target is bouncing between two when using the big coil vs the stock coil.

I just want to build some confidence knowing the plugs I'm digging in parks have the best chances of digging a sov as possible. If I could dig everything and not worry about the grass that's what I'd be doing like I usually would on the beach. I still haven't gotten 100% comfortable with digging plugs in the park and half the time expect to be asked not to haha :lol:

Two things that may change the ID is orientation in the ground and proximity to iron if in an older area, it may possibly push the ID/tone lower. Hence why some target ID list will include on edge and full face ID figures for coins.

Also have to question what other modern junk targets ring up around the same ID if working park areas.

Latest posts