Depth Of GPX Dependant On Soil Conditions?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok guys.
I just got a bit surprised today testing my 18" Detech Boomerang mono coil. The soil on my test bed got a bit dry and I get at least 4" loss of depth on small target that is 12" deep. I get most of the time signal at about 9" above the target location, but today I couldn't get any more than 5" in my usual FP settings.
Then I tested another 11" coil and this was not the case. The 11" coil was working as usual.

Any thoughts on this one?

Are these detectors working better on damp soil or on wet or on dry? I don't seem to figure this one out.

Yes, I had wondered about that at Kingower a while back with the 5000. I only found lead .22 bullet heads and a 1cm lead ball but it had had a bit of rain up there and the ground was damp. I noticed I had found my junk much deeper than all my other previous junk, but I was using a larger mono for the first time and had a better understanding of the required settings compared to my earlier outings so didn't think there was enough evidence to put it down to any one thing. But I have read elsewhere where people swear that damp soil gives more depth.

Great testing Candigger, I guess that's the only way we really get to know our machines and their capabilities. It's also a little scary that there are so many variables, to think that you could potentially flog an area to nugget signal silence, only to go back when the soil is wet to get another 4" depth with the same coil and set-up. Oh, but then of course there is EMI, weather, temperature...... I guess in the end that's what gives us all hope, is the knowing that there are still deeper lurkers out there :goldnugget:

Damp Soil can double the depth on most detectors, best time to get the most depth is around 24hrs after it has rained, This effect is really noticeable on VLF Detectors, I have seen VLF's hit Coins at over a measured 14",

With PI Machines they are good in the Dry but damp soil gives them a good boost in depth but Wet Soil will can cause a few problems So it is a good idea to reground balance going from dry to wet soil, where as Wet Soil does not effect a VLF but it does get messy working soaked ground.

J.

Nice to get your comments folks. Thank you.

It still puzzle me that only my 18" mono is showing less depth on dry soil. My other 11" coil is not. But that's only on one small coin at 12" as a test target. I'll check today more targets to see how the 18" mono will react.

Candigger said:

It still puzzle me that only my 18" mono is showing less depth on dry soil. My other 11" coil is not. But that's only on one small coin at 12" as a test target. I'll check today more targets to see how the 18" mono will react.

Try tipping a bucket of water over where the coin is and then recheck it with the detector 2 or 3 hours later and see if you can pick up the coin.

hope that helps.

J.

Ridge Runner said:
Candigger said:

Try tipping a bucket of water over where the coin is and then recheck it with the detector 2 or 3 hours later and see if you can pick up the coin.

hope that helps.

J.
Ridge runner I like simple logical thinking great advice .

Ridge Runner said:
With PI Machines they are good in the Dry but damp soil gives them a good boost in depth but Wet Soil will can cause a few problems

Being fairly new at this I have wondered about that, in that so many of our Victorian Goldfields are in areas which suffer from Dryland Salinity. So, I have wondered about the difference between damp soil vs wet soil with regard to increased depth or potential problems. Could saturated soils in such areas mean it's time to run the 5000 in Salt Gold? Or am I on the wrong track?

Deepseeker said:
Ridge Runner said:
With PI Machines they are good in the Dry but damp soil gives them a good boost in depth but Wet Soil will can cause a few problems

Being fairly new at this I have wondered about that, in that so many of our Victorian Goldfields are in areas which suffer from Dryland Salinity. So, I have wondered about the difference between damp soil vs wet soil with regard to increased depth or potential problems. Could saturated soils in such areas mean it's time to run the 5000 in Salt Gold? Or am I on the wrong track?

I think the Salt Gold setting is more directed for working Salt Pans and it might be useful at the beach but maybe not, Salt pans are extremely salty because the salt layers have built up over the years but because the beach is being washed every day the salt levels are a lot lower than out on the salt pans, I would not engage the Salt mode unless you have to because although it makes life easier out on the salt pans, In other soils you will get a depth loss compare to using one of the other modes in most ground conditions,

I would have a chat to Nenad " PhaseTech" about it or some of the guys who work those area's.

hope that helps,

J.

Deepseeker said:
Ridge Runner said:

No you're not on the wrong track.

Nenad said:
Goldfield soils with a high salt content are actually more widespread than people realise, and it isnt until heavy rains saturate the soil that the salt is leached out and affects your detector. Some symptoms may be broad ground noise type signals, and ghost signals, i.e. faint target like signals that disappear when you dig them up. In these conditions Salt-Gold may often be the solution, so it pays to try it out.
https://www.minelab.com/treasure-talk/the-power-of-salt-gold

Thanks Ridge Runner & Mbasko, and thanks too for the link to Nenads Treasure Talk on the Minelab site.

I had wondered, as many years ago I was travelling up past Kerang in the direction of Swan Hill when off in the distance I could see these little white mounds and miniature mountains of what looked like pure white in the midday sun. I asked my ex-wife who was born and bred up that way what they were, and she told me that it was salt that had been bulldozed into piles by the farmers.

Of course, That area really isn't that far from places like Wychitella, Wedderburn and other places in the GT, and as we all know even a large part of Dunolly goes under in times of flood.

Yesterday there was a massive rain fall. So today I got some new testing done and got some rather disturbing conclusions. The GPX4500 with 18" mono appears to lose about 25% depth in dry soil vs wet soil. This seems a harsh reality to me, but I wonder if the soil is super dry, like no rain for couple of months what will be the depth loss then.

The other thing that I noticed was more EMI or possibly soil interference in dry soil and much less in wet soil. The detector was far more quiet and stable in the mud today than its ever been in dry soil.

Any thoughts?

Candigger, is your glass half empty or half full.?
look at it this way, dry dirt is the norm (it is in WA anyway :sunny: :playful: ), & just after a bit of rain when the ground is damp your depth goes up by a bonus 25% :goldnugget: :pickshovel: :money: :D
that is, unless you get washed out :cloudy: :cloudy: :cloudy: :awful: