Is The GPZ Here For A While Yet?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just curious if anyone knows how long the 7000 will remain current before the next evolution of minelab is released.
I have been considering and looking at Z's now for a few months and find myself torn about a decision.
Should I stick with my 5000 and my new 17 x 13 Evo which I am very happy with or bite the bullet and lash out.
I was tempted by Gravity's awesome Z that he showed me but the fact that he used a 5000 made me back away at the time.
I know some great finds come from the Z7000 but if I buy I bet Murphy will bring out a Z8000 or similar.
Still how long is a bit of string.
Any comments or thoughts out there?

GT :/

Was a long time between the 5000 till the z came out, i would think it will be a few years yet, just my thoughts. They may bring out more updates but then again, its all we got with update coils at this time. Prehaps the russian guy who is supplying the xcoil may give minelab a shake up with a new detector, even with discrimination!! We can only dream

Im hust waiting for the helium balloon attachment for the zd. PM Me with an offer of one years hire if your so undiceded, or just buy one . I will be offended by any offer anyway :lol: if you have coils galore and a sweetly tune 5000 the difference will be minimal , but if your happy to get 100 bucks extra gold off your patch for a 9k investment do it , my z gave me 100 bucks ontop of the sdc and i feel contemp that it was worth it,

What are your goals? Do you just enjoy detecting for the fun of it regardless of the finds that come or is there pressure to make bank? The GPZ didn't open up the goldfields in the way many had hoped and those who make good finds with the Z were making good finds with the GPX before it. In other words if you are going over flogged ground and struggling to find much with the GPX you may be sorely disappointed if you expect the Z to turn around your fortunes.

nuggetino said:
What are your goals? Do you just enjoy detecting for the fun of it regardless of the finds that come or is there pressure to make bank? The GPZ didn't open up the goldfields in the way many had hoped and those who make good finds with the Z were making good finds with the GPX before it. In other words if you are going over flogged ground and struggling to find much with the GPX you may be sorely disappointed if you expect the Z to turn around your fortunes.

Don't have any goals, I just like to have the best I can afford and the Z is border line on just that.
I'm never disappointed gold or not if I'm out in the Goldfields having a swing.
Besides I thought the Z was a bit heavy compared and I am so used to the shape of the GPX.
Ok I've talked myself out of it again. he he

GT :) :lol:

I too have considered the Z for the last few years. The money is not what stopped me because we've paid for all our detectors with their finds so I guess the Z would work out the same. The main thing that stopped me was the weight, I'm a light weight and it's a heavy weight. I do this for pleasure and if the extra weight is going to cause me pain than it goes against my reason to be out their with a detector :|

Now apart from that the 4500 competes well with the guys swinging Z's so there's no guarantee things will improve :)

yes the weight concerns me. I have shoulder issues and swinging the 4500 with a light weight coil is ok for short period of time . I tried the z and found i was not enjoying the experience. if it was lighter i would be very interested. but for now i do it for fun.

cheers hh

Those who say weight is an issue have not set up there harness/ bungy/ hip stick correctly.
The setup i have been using takes all weight of the arm, the machine almost detects by itself with your arm in arm holder for minor support, not to hold weight, and taking slow steps it swings from side to side easilyby itself. I have shown numerous people my setup and they have all duplicated it. I origonally set it up on a 4500 when they were first released , making my own hipstick before i even new you could purchase them and have never looked back. I will get some pictures when next get out to detect. It really is so simple. TG

IMO we won't see a "GPZ8000" anytime soon.
One place to keep an eye on for clues is the Codan quarterly & annual reports + ASX news. This is where they announced 3 new detectors about 12-24 months before we seen the SDC then GPZ (the other was the Go-Find series as a low cost entry level machine).
The last report has no news on the recreational detecting front but news that they have been working on a countermine detector for the last 2 years.
Codan said:
After two years of development, Minelabs new countermine dual-sensing detector is in final testing and will be released in this half. This detector was partially funded by the Australian government and combines ground-penetrating radar with simultaneous multi-frequency metal detection in a compact, lightweight, high-performance dual-technology detector. It will be the best dual-sensing detector on the market.
The GPZ being software upgradable lends itself to being a long running model.

maybe wait and see if WHITES release their VLF/PI hybrid that gets good depth and discriminates.
If Whites can make an affordable, light weight machine, that does what they claim it can, then we might see something new from minelab.
In the mean time, the QED keeps evolving, and getting better and better.

goldtruck59 said:
Hi all,

Just curious if anyone knows how long the 7000 will remain current before the next evolution of minelab is released.
I have been considering and looking at Z's now for a few months and find myself torn about a decision.
Should I stick with my 5000 and my new 17 x 13 Evo which I am very happy with or bite the bullet and lash out.
I was tempted by Gravity's awesome Z that he showed me but the fact that he used a 5000 made me back away at the time.
I know some great finds come from the Z7000 but if I buy I bet Murphy will bring out a Z8000 or similar.

All I can add is that a forum member got the Z that I setup for him on the Easter Long Weekend. The next day he came back with gold :Y:
The Z is a great machine if you get to use it , unfortunately I only get time for a few long weekend meetups every year and I have frozen shoulder (arthritis) which doesn't help me. I can only see the Z getting better with software updates and as mentioned having the correct harness setup is a must.

Cheers
Gravity

Gravity said:
goldtruck59 said:
Hi all,

All I can add is that a forum member got the Z that I setup for him on the Easter Long Weekend. The next day he came back with gold :Y:
The Z is a great machine if you get to use it , unfortunately I only get time for a few long weekend meetups every year and I have frozen shoulder (arthritis) which doesn't help me. I can only see the Z getting better with software updates and as mentioned having the correct harness setup is a must.

Cheers
Gravity

Yep it was a great machine mate that was as new. It was a credit to you. I was a mm away from agreeing, but I'm happy for the moment, just curious as I said if there was something new on the horizon.
Sorry I couldn't catch up with you guys last weekend, had to work but I have a week in Dunolly next week Yay !!!

GT :) :perfect: :Y:

Latest posts