Ring ID Advice If Possible?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I posted this up in my Banz finds thread but will put it here as well as a request for general advice. First, some pictures...

1555913146_a5300ff3-6d8a-4376-b00e-cb65b3046c36.jpg

1555913146_c91b90f4-405f-405e-a716-900c0bae5693.jpg

Im not expert but a quick google suggests it is a halo design and the 925 suggests it is Sterling Silver. I have no idea what the pinky main stone or tiny sparkles in the surround are.

Any ideas anyone?

I guess the challenge is knowing what a ring like this is worth without risking the outlay for a professional appraisal in case it turns out to be more-or-less worthless. I don't want to spend $50 (or whatever) to find out the rings is worth $20.

There's no way for you guys on the forum to look at it and say "yes it's diamonds" or "it's all cubic zirconia", especially from the quality of photos provided!

Perhaps the real question is: What do people here do when they find a ring of unknown value?

Banz said:
There's no way for you guys on the forum to look at it and say "yes it's diamonds" or "it's all cubic zirconia", especially from the quality of photos provided!

That assumption is ill-founded. You won't find diamonds mounted in silver, so it's 100% certain in this case that we're looking at zircons (or other colourless natural gems), or cubic zirconia (artificial gems).

If you want a free appraisal of your jewellery finds, take them into Cash Converters or other pawnshop. They're experts in the field - they have to be to stay in business.

To give you a breakdown that may be helpful, the original retail price of this ring in a jeweller's shop window would have been around $100. Jewellery has high markups to compensate for slow turnover - typically 100% or more (hence the big discounts at sale time) - so the retail jeweller wouldn't have paid more than $50 to the wholesaler/distributor, who bought it from a manufacturing jeweller or importer for no more than $20-30. Actual scrap value of this ring might be as little as $5 and purely for the silver content - the stones have no significant resale value.

(In an earlier life I worked at a plastics factory, one of the owners of which had had made his money running jewellery stores and he invited me to bring in my detecting finds for appraisal. Unfortunately, it was usually a bit dispiriting) :/

Banz said:
I guess the challenge is knowing what a ring like this is worth without risking the outlay for a professional appraisal in case it turns out to be more-or-less worthless. I don't want to spend $50 (or whatever) to find out the rings is worth $20.

Perhaps the real question is: What do people here do when they find a ring of unknown value?
If it's silver I chuck em in a zip lock bag with the rest...
If it's gold with a diamond it goes to the highest bidder..
If it's just gold It gets melted. :Y:
I doubt that a 925 ring has real diamonds..But I'm always wrong. :) Still a nice find :Y:

grubstake said:
Banz said:

That assumption is ill-founded. You won't find diamonds mounted in silver, so it's 100% certain in this case that we're looking at zircons (or other colourless natural gems), or cubic zirconia (artificial gems).

If you want a free appraisal of your jewellery finds, take them into Cash Converters or other pawnshop. They're experts in the field - they have to be to stay in business.

To give you a breakdown that may be helpful, the original retail price of this ring in a jeweller's shop window would have been around $100. Jewellery has high markups to compensate for slow turnover - typically 100% or more (hence the big discounts at sale time) - so the retail jeweller wouldn't have paid more than $50 to the wholesaler/distributor, who bought it from a manufacturing jeweller or importer for no more than $20-30. Actual scrap value of this ring might be as little as $5 and purely for the silver content - the stones have no significant resale value.

(In an earlier life I worked at a plastics factory, one of the owners of which had had made his money running jewellery stores and he invited me to bring in my detecting finds for appraisal. Unfortunately, it was usually a bit dispiriting) :/

Wow, thanks for taking the time for such a detailed and well-informed response.

I know nothing of jewellery so never really considered that you wouldn't put a valuable stone in a not-so-valuable metal but it makes perfect sense now that you have pointed it out!

I'm happy for this thread to be considered closed, if only to spare us more ring puns!

Deepseeker said:
Well, there's something not right about this ring Silver. I just can't seem to put my finger on it................. :cool:
You missed the point :p :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts