VR Badge, any ideas?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussiemd

Mike
Reaction score
Picked this up in an old area, pre-1910. Had no luck trying to find it on google, assuming it's Victorian era.

1555561054_img_20190418_130639.jpg

Nice Badge so be VR for Victorian REX with Irish Shamrock English Rose and Scottish Thistle nice nationalistic badge and one i havent seen before really nice find i recon dating to around 1897 victorias jubilee and sorry i cant be any more help

indi said:
Nice Badge so be VR for Victorian REX with Irish Shamrock English Rose and Scottish Thistle nice nationalistic badge and one i havent seen before really nice find i recon dating to around 1897 victorias jubilee and sorry i cant be any more help

That's Victoria Regina. Regina = queen; Rex = king

Really interesting piece. Could be any number of things, Victorian Railways, Volunteer Rifles etc. is it a brooch? Whats on the back, Any makers marks etc?

ChrisD said:
Really interesting piece. Could be any number of things, Victorian Railways, Volunteer Rifles etc. is it a brooch? Whats on the back, Any makers marks etc?

I don't think so, not with the three symbols of British unity (as noted by indi above), behind the royal cypher and topped off with the royal crown. Such things were taken VERY seriously back in those days, Rule Britannia and all that! ;)

ChrisD said:

No makers marks. I'm assuming it's a British military badge but there was a lot of them, I have found a couple of different military buttons from Victorian era in the same place.

I think itll be a volunteer regiment pin maybe try a military museum if theres one close by they might be able to help to narrow down where and when it was issued

Latest posts