CTX3030 Versus Equinox

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion on the 3030 versus the Equinox with regard to relic detecting. Both seem to have positive feed back however there is a large price difference.

Ask Heatho.
He would give you an honest answer.
But from what I've heard from people that own both machines the Nox is their first choice in trashy areas.. :Y: :bomb: :bomb:

As Smoky said, if you're hunting in heavy trash for unknown targets/relics then I'd probably take the Nox, if you want great discrimination say on beaches for cherry picking good targets such as coins with known TID's then the CTX would be the go. Both great detectors.

Tailormarc and his wife Lisa here on the forum do extremely well with their Nox's relic hunting.

Yeah once you learn the tones of the Nox its as accurate as the CTX. I dont even use the CTX anymore and really enjoy the nox not just for how light it is but its ability. Dont get me wrong I love the CTX but the Nox keeps surprising me.

Thanks for the replies. It seems both have supporters, however the price difference could be telling for someone considering buying either.

Good luck with the Nox Wishful once you get your hands on it. Its performance and price seems the way to go!

Hope so. I have looked at several options including the Anfibio but, I keep coming back to the Nox 800. Being a very light machine I am hoping my wife will like it as well. I have a couple of blokes I can call on if it starts to do my head in :D

The Nox is pretty easy to use, same as any detector it takes a little while to get used to but once you get the hang of it there shouldn't be any problems. Main mistake I see is people trying to run the gain too high and getting a lot of false signals.

The Equinox is deeper on all targets. The CTX3030 can handle mineralisation to a greater extend, but this is the case in extreme black sand and Iron stone places, which is of not much practical use any way. I would go for the Equinox. It's much lighter and user friendly.

Wishfull said:
So the Nox has a built in battery. Obvious question is what is the life span of the battery and when it does eventually die then what happens ?
It should last you many years if charged properly.
You can get the same batteries off EBay or from jaycar...im sure by then you warenty will have expired..
Its a simple process to change one if you are a bit handy with tools :Y:

Some interesting comments here. https://www.detectorprospector.com/...ers-minelab-email/?tab=comments#comment-64794
Such as, the battery is only warrantied for 1 year. And if you change that yourself and don't re-seal the unit properly and then the unit becomes water damaged it won't be covered under warranty.

Useful info here too. https://www.detectorprospector.com/...oved-from-equinox/?tab=comments#comment-57529

In fact, it is hard to imagine a question that hasn't been asked and answered here and rather than being all in one big long thread they are generally sorted into convenient headings. https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/forum/53-minelab-equinox-fan-club/ The Essential Information thread is a good place to start.

And before anyone jumps down my throat, yes there is also some great info on PA and some very knowledgable Equinox users. I just find that Equinox forum very thorough and in an 'easy to find stuff' format ;)

Latest posts