Help With Research?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day folks. getting back into this great hobby finally and just been remembering a spot out in the scrub near Stawell where we used to hoon around in our cars/bikes as young guys.
see the pic below. it's a long stretch that's a bit wider than a road and looks like it has had the top scraped off. there is also a square patch that has all the topsoil piled up in one spot.
although it is near the Cumberland Lead I can find any reference to it as being old workings and wondered if there is anyone on here with some local knowledge that can help explain what went on here.
1555302574_cumberland_lead_2.jpg

I had a quick look with my KMZ file (old mines file) on and it looks like there wasnt any work done in that area ,there is a fault line that runs N/S to the east but thats all I can find out sorry ,PP

thanks PP. it may just be where they have dug for road base when maintaining the forest tracks.

You might be on to something there, about 400 metres to the north west, there is an old time digging.
You can see it on Geovic, I tried to display a copy but it will not upload unfortunately.

Cheers Ben.

Looks like a lot of trees have been cleared all around that area. Logging operation? Where do the locals go to get their firewood?

How about a more informative map to see its location - I can't recall the Cumberland Lead of the many there but a map would position it. Not a drill pad?

Hey neat trick RichterScale. How do you get google earth to show all of the mining and lead related details?

On some jobs that are remote, they bring crushers in to crush rock to a suitable road base size, rather than import road base. So this material can be local to the area. If they quarry suiatable local material for crushing, they will leave a dam as a bonus. These are worth a look around when dry and new.

Latest posts