Travel Buddy Camp Oven

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ctxkid said:
trashmagnet said:
The larger marine one (pictured) needs to be hard wired or plug changed to a anderson plug as they draw more power than the ciggy plug can handle, the smaller one will run on the ciggy plug as there only 6 amps. I have the smaller one in the truck and it's great. Cheers

they start up at just over 10 amps and level at about 9.84 while hot

Yep... that's too much for a standed ciggy plug, small oven rated at 6 amps and i have had no probs over the last couple of years with the ciggy plug

I use mine on a regular basis as we almost live on the road between every state in Oz.
Mainly for lunches. We put in whatever it is (mainly lasagne, those curries and rice combos you can buy from Coles etc, pies even crumbed fish!!)
It takes about 2 hours on 160 degrees for a piping hot lunch. bloody awesome when you look at the price of tucker on the Nullarbor etc !!!.
Never cooked a roast in mine but know those that have. I think they are best for re heating.
I would always buy the bigger one also its worth the extra couple of bucks.

GT :sunny: :)

trashmagnet said:
ctxkid said:
trashmagnet said:
The larger marine one (pictured) needs to be hard wired or plug changed to a anderson plug as they draw more power than the ciggy plug can handle, the smaller one will run on the ciggy plug as there only 6 amps. I have the smaller one in the truck and it's great. Cheers

they start up at just over 10 amps and level at about 9.84 while hot

Yep... that's too much for a standed ciggy plug, small oven rated at 6 amps and i have had no probs over the last couple of years with the ciggy plug

still on the high side :( but ciggys work well for what they are :Y:

i am going to pull mine to bits and upgrade the wire, it already has an ando :power:

rewired my 12v kettle the other day (to 4mm,shortened lead lenght too ) made a huge difference , halved the boil times :perfect: :power: :clap: :cool:

Mackka said:
That looks the business RR.
Mackka

Yeah I might get one if I can, But the reason I like these is because I bought one of their Gas Heaters, It worked well and put out a lot of heat, but it could not be turned down to a more gentle flame so I took the sticker off the Control knob and removed the screw in the centre and repositioned the knob and screwed it back up and now it is 100% adjustable, BEFORE a can of Gas use to last 2 and a half hours, Now they run for 5 and a half to 6 hours,

These little heaters might look small but I have used it for nearly 4 Winters over here as a main heating source because I don't like this central heating system in this place and it costs a fortune to run, But this little gas fire costs me about $1.00 to $1.50 a day to run it on a bad day, and you can get some versions that come with a hose fitting so you can run them off a big Gas bottle and they will run for months on one of those 15kg bottles :inlove:

Mate this little bugga saved my bacon here one winter, and I reckon one of these will heat up a caravan in about 15 to 20 minutes at the most, but I would always do that reset of the control knob because it really more than doubles the burn time, Ay. :Y:

Here it is,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable...hash=item3af7e3813a:m:mdbVCAeHwiuZLXUG0BFoHUA

Mackka said:
Be very, very, careful with gas heaters mate as many people have passed due to gas poisoning
Mackka

Yeah over here we have to fit CO2 sensors that detect all the Air Bourne nasties, cost about 15-20 bucks but they are cheap insurance and keep you safe. :Y:

Ridge Runner said:
ctxkid said:
Ridge Runner said:
Cool thanks Mate, I have checked and there is nothing over here only Gas powered ones or ones that takes them 227 gas cartridges.

any links/photos , i'm a sucker for gadgets :(

yeah Sure, These take those 227g cans which sell for a couple of bucks each but I get them cheaper for a box of 28 cans, just got 2 boxes last week.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porta-Ov...497009&hash=item5b44fad2bd:g:LtIAAOSw5E9ap~jv
i have one similar that goes on a bigger bottle and it has two burners on top , cool thing but don't use it much

Did anyone use them for a long time? I'm wondering how long they'll last, I suspect that the structure isn't quite reliable and could break down. The very idea of using a stove like this on a hike is cool! We've always used pots and pans and fire or cooked them right in the fire. How long will the chicken take to cook? If the cooking time is longer than in my Frigidaire or on a regular fire, then it doesn't make much sense. Perhaps, in that case, it's convenient to take it to a country house where there's no oven.

I've had the smaller Travel Buddy for about 7 years. As mentioned it draws 6 amps and comes with a cig plug. As I noted in my bush power thread, I noticed the plug getting very hot, so it got cut off and replaced with an Anderson plug, problem solved.

Re operation - I use it mainly for lunch for myself. It will fit 4 pies or 4 pasties or 6 reasonable sized sausage rolls. It will also cook the round mini pizzas for the evening beer n pizza. :) :beer: I found a shopping centre cookware specialty shop and bought these (they were the last 2 they had :) ).
1581079753_img_20190202_113457_7.jpg

On that note, put alfoil on any tray to catch the melting cheese lol, saves cleaning.

Timings - I keep frozen pies etc and pizza in the van freezer, take it out in the morning and place into the Engel set as a fridge. So by the time lunchtime comes, what I want to cook is almost thawed, but still less than 2 C. I've noted that all of the above food takes roughly 60 minutes to cook. Based on 2 pizzas or 1 pie etc. Less time if nearer ambient and longer if deep frozen, so it will be trial and error depending what you put in the oven and how you store it before hand.

I'm also told that it will cook damper, but will reheat just about any leftovers you might have from spag bol to Sunday roast, lol.

You can also take the upper wire shelf out to fit a larger container or piece of meat. The disposable alfoil takeaway containers are great for cooking in the TB as well as storing leftovers.

Lunch requires preplanning, if you want to eat at 12.30 pm, you need to load lunch an hour before.

Latest posts