What are YOU doing right NOW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting some wood up the back paddock.Nice sunny day for it.
1596325389_screenshot_20200802_091024.jpg
my cheap pre covid 92cc chainsaw plus a stihl sharpener. I sharpen it every tank of fuel. The bar is an after market one. Original one was :poop:
1596325508_screenshot_20200802_091058.jpg
I would have used the ute but on this clay hillside you end up skiing down into the dam when your treads fill up. The neighbours buggy sort of floats over the clay :Y: owe them a load of wood now.

I you haven't tried one, these tools are really good. Works better than a electric one and faster than the old way. I do two forward strokes on each cutting link ( don't go forward and backwards lol) The flat file in there takes care of the depth gauges. The idea is to get a almost tacky to the touch sharp point then she will cut like a hot knife through butter :Y:
1596327432_screenshot_20200802_094130.jpg

Yes the sharpener is a genuine stihl one from a local tool shop in Adelaide. The cheap ones on ebay for $20 are not the real thing.

Goldfreak said:
I you haven't tried one, these tools are really good. Works better than a electric one and faster than the old way. I do two forward strokes on each cutting link ( don't go forward and backwards lol) The flat file in there takes care of the depth gauges. The idea is to get a almost tacky to the touch sharp point then she will cut like a hot knife through butter :Y: https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...082/1596327432_screenshot_20200802_094130.jpg

The best hand sharpener on the market :perfect: got 3 of them I only use the electric sharpener to make the cutting teeth equal length once a few get out of shape. You've got the sequence right Goldfreak :Y: every tank give the chain a tickle and on an as needs basis in-between if necessary.

Goldfreak said:
I you haven't tried one, these tools are really good. Works better than a electric one and faster than the old way. I do two forward strokes on each cutting link ( don't go forward and backwards lol) The flat file in there takes care of the depth gauges. The idea is to get a almost tacky to the touch sharp point then she will cut like a hot knife through butter :Y: https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...082/1596327432_screenshot_20200802_094130.jpg

Agree with this and yes they are Stihl. They aren't cheap (approx. $60 each) but I have two with different sized files in them for different chainsaw sizes. One sits in the van with the Stihl MSA40 for camping and "just in case" it's needed while traveling, the other one with the larger saws kit for the main wood collecting.

Rob P.

I have used most sharpeners, but settled on the Timberline, best I have ever used.

1596349650_annotation_2020-08-02_162316.jpg

Thats an interesting looking tool Redfin. Just watched a video on how it works with its winding handle. Do you just follow up with a flat file for the depth ?

I have the 12 volt battery sharpener, the 240 volt bench sharpener and also the one where the guide clamps onto the bar,but i have reverted back to basics and only use the simple brass guide hand file now. Not knocking the others ,but i find the KISS method easier.

Nothing wrong with the old way. That's all you really need and how I was first taught. Love the gadget though. It pretty much does the same thing but in one action. Like RM said though the teeth can get out of shape.

Yeah the new stihl sharpeners are easy and the best part is the flat file to tickle the rackers while you sharpen the cutting tooth :Y: its what sets them apart from all the others no need for two files :power: The rackers are as important as the cutting tooth for optimum performance :beer:

A neighbour uses big saws with the 404 chain and grinds the rackers clean off before even using a chain :argh: he likes to get the job done quickly. He cut split and delivered 600 metres in one season about 10 years ago, worked 7 days a week for 3 weeks then 5 days for 1 week and then do the same cycle again for the whole season. Had a shoulder reconstruction since can't do half of what he used to, still operates the big saws just nowhere near as good as he once was.

Latest posts