Gold Detecting This Year

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't know about you but I feel it hard to get motivated to detect this year if next time I go I feel it will only take a very small gold bit to find that's the only thing that will get me motivated to go that's all currently I'm on a long drought its now 5 years I feel between drinks plus I live in Melb. so its a 2 and a half hour drive too any one got any tips hints please let me know thanks

Welcome to the club yellowmellow. Keep on trying and practising as well as research. How about taking one of those GT tours and get into it that way. There is always a way, you just have to find it. Good luck. :(

yellowmellow said:
I don't know about you but I feel it hard to get motivated to detect this year if next time I go I feel it will only take a very small gold bit to find that's the only thing that will get me motivated to go that's all currently im on a long drought its now 5 years I feel between drinks plus I live in melb so its a 2 and a half hour drive too any one got any tips hints please let me know thanks

?? WHAT ??

G'day YM welcome to PA as Jaros said hook up with a tour operator in the GT they'll help you get your machine to run quiet and explain changes in the ground to look out for.

What machine are you using and where have you been, this info will tell us a lot. Check out Minelab Golds thread just use the search icon top left it's up there with the best information you could want for.

original model gpx4500 made in 2008 serviced in 2016 or 2017 and a 12 inch round nuggetfinder evolution coil only used once hardly a scratch on it but looks like it needs to get worn in

Hey mate a piece of advice I was given early doors was get that coil on the ground. I have worn out many skid plates since. I dont think its any coincidence I started finding gold when I kept the coil on the ground at all times.
Some will obviously have other ideas but it has worked super well for me.
Best of luck with it mate.

If your finding you have low or now motivation and dreading the 2.5 hour drive, you may have High Blood Pressure.
I suffer from that and apart from been called the, "The Silent Killer" if you have this condition you are more likely to have a heart attack or stroke.

One of the symptoms is Low or no motivation, i had no idea of this but knew the last three years i have lost about 90% of my motivation to go prospecting,
mainly due to me using all of my motivation up just going to work to pay the bills etc. I am sure this is a result of my high blood pressure.

The good news is you can take pills to lower your blood pressure, which reduces possible heart attack and stroke risk.
But better off trying to do lifestyle changes like eating healthy getting good nights sleep, exercise and reduce stress.

For me been single and working a very demanding job i find i struggle with the healthy diet bit.

yellowmellow said:
I don't know about you but I feel it hard to get motivated to detect this year if next time I go I feel it will only take a very small gold bit to find that's the only thing that will get me motivated to go that's all currently im on a long drought its now 5 years I feel between drinks plus I live in melb so its a 2 and a half hour drive too any one got any tips hints please let me know thanks

I would love a 2and a half hour drive to a gold field....
Perth to Southern Cross is 5 or 6 hrs Coolgardie another 2 Kal a bit more.....
Dont even mention Bloody Work that gets in the Bloody way all the time.......

yellowmellow said:

Gday

If your only motivation to go bush is only for the gold then maybe its time to take a break from it, maybe find something else to do like maybe some coin and relic detecting, I have found that doing this when I am home in the warmer months breaks the monotony of everyday life as I find it too hard to go bush in the summer months these days like I used to, and helps to keep me a bit more motivated to get ready for the upcoming prospecting season in the cooler months.

There are many more benefits to going bush besides the gold, but you have to be open to it and enjoy just being out there rather than focusing on the gold as your only purpose, like I have said to many people in the past you have to just go with the flow and get yourself into the right mindset of not really focusing on the gold but rather more on the experience of just being in the bush, enjoy the experience and relax and go with the flow, and if you do the gold will come in its own time.

Maybe you can even join a prospecting club as you might find this will help motivate you more as you can discuss detecting with others and it might also be of benefit as you can join in club activities like field trips or camps, one other thing is try detecting other spots rather than the places you have been in the past, new ground always fascinates me more than old ground that I have worked before, in conclusion just don't try too hard and treat the gold as a bonus if you get it, if not theres always the next trip.

cheers

stayyerAU

Like the other posts, finding gold is just the cream on the cake. you should be enjoying the cake not just wanting to lick the cream off the top. Just being out there with nature and looking at the work the old timers put in with all the diggings , get some maps and literature and read up on the history of some of the areas you can visit throughout the GT. When out there detecting I enjoy having a break from swinging and sitting down in the bush with a cold beer and contemplating life whilst listening to the birds. Don't get me wrong I still love that feeling of excitement whenever I remove an inch of topsoil and can still hear that sweet sound with each swing. If only I lived within a few hours drive of the goldfields. Cheers all Randy

Swinging & digging said:
If your finding you have low or now motivation and dreading the 2.5 hour drive, you may have High Blood Pressure.
I suffer from that and apart from been called the, "The Silent Killer" if you have this condition you are more likely to have a heart attack or stroke.

One of the symptoms is Low or no motivation, i had no idea of this but knew the last three years i have lost about 90% of my motivation to go prospecting,
mainly due to me using all of my motivation up just going to work to pay the bills etc. I am sure this is a result of my high blood pressure.

The good news is you can take pills to lower your blood pressure, which reduces possible heart attack and stroke risk.
But better off trying to do lifestyle changes like eating healthy getting good nights sleep, exercise and reduce stress.

For me been single and working a very demanding job i find i struggle with the healthy diet bit.

When I was younger and single I always had 2 jobs and found that a hamburger with the lot with egg of course was a pretty healthy meal.
I also had a lot of beef with black beans with special fried rice from the chinese shop.

yellowmellow said:
I don't know about you but I feel it hard to get motivated to detect this year if next time I go I feel it will only take a very small gold bit to find that's the only thing that will get me motivated to go that's all currently I'm on a long drought its now 5 years I feel between drinks plus I live in Melb. so its a 2 and a half hour drive too any one got any tips hints please let me know thanks

Keep trying mate, Im driving about 4-4.5 hrs from Mildura and Id do it every weekend if the missus would allow :lol: .The last two trips we havent found anything other than junk and lead, but thats making me more determined. I figure if were finding lead in a gold bearing area, its only a matter of time until we get some nuggets. 5 years is a long time, maybe try heading out with someone if youre not already, it may just give you the boost you need to keep going.

All the best :Y:

Prospectyrianism is a religion that requires much faith, sacrifices, discomforts, and occasions of wandering in the wilderness without reward from our diety, the "Great Alluvial Goldness"

Yea verily, he/she favors each of us as they see fit (and often not at all) and often its seems they taketh great delight in our barren adventures, or rewarding those with toy-like implements while scorning those who invest heavily. However, I believe that the time will come when through hard work, research, questions asked of our great sages (holymen such as Saint Nenad and JP of Clermont), and in-depth study of the holy manual supplied with the instruments of our worship, we will all be rewarded in such ways that he/she maketh us to lie down in green pastures with naked virgins, ale and much merriment.....

-There endeth the lesson, Ahmen :beer:

Nanjim said:
yellowmellow said:

I would love a 2and a half hour drive to a gold field....
Perth to Southern Cross is 5 or 6 hrs Coolgardie another 2 Kal a bit more.....
Dont even mention Bloody Work that gets in the Bloody way all the time.......
I hear you. 6 1/2 to 7 for me. Off again next week.

yellowmellow said:
original model gpx4500 made in 2008 serviced in 2016 or 2017 and a 12 inch round nuggetfinder evolution coil only used once hardly a scratch on it but looks like it needs to get worn in

There's the clue.... :)

Yes 5 years is a very long time so you must make some changes. We didn't find gold until we went on a gold muster with DWAG the WA forum members gave us some pointers and put us on good ground. We only got a 0.8g piece that week but after they all went home we sat with the internet and using information given earlier researched a likely spot. The second nugget a 35g piece came a couple of days later along with a few more bits. I was swinging the Garrett ATX and Mrs M had a White's GMT that found 2.9g.

You should be on ground where alluvial gold has been found before. You've got all the right gear so a bit of careful work will turn up gold. As Nothing Great says, coil-to-the-soil. Don't worry about scratching the thing. You can still treat it with care but you must be right on the ground. If the rough ground won't let you get close than swinging the thing might not be possible. I spend a lot of time just poking the coil in amongst the grass, around the base of trees, in between rocks and anywhere else I think some lazy person may have missed. If you come home with that skid plate looking like new then you've been working on the lawn or you're not close enough to the ground.

I know what you mean about tiresome travel, we've lived 1000km from good ground and it takes a bit of serious dedication to get up and go. As others have said, we don't just go for the gold. We spend time looking for bottles and relics, photographing everything that moves and most things that don't and we just enjoy being out there wherever it is.

Change what's not working and good luck... :Y:

learn to love the bush, get amongst it, camp out there, cook up a treat out there, do a spot of fishing, get shoit faced on ya favourite drop out there, roam naked chasing butterflies or something, take ya dog or get one. Do anything your heart contends - just don't do it where I go :playful: and make sure you take ya rubbish home!!!!!!!!

Learn to love the bush! Your question reminds me of when I was young and moved from the city to the country. Initially I was bored, I sort of hated it, its a matter of making your own fun, get your mindset fixed on what the country has to offer that the city doesn't. Soon you'll hate the idea of having to go home... that will have to be left for seperate post but I can tell you now it will be very easy to convince you not to return to the city, particularly in this day and age!

Stop ya winging, get off that bloody computer n' pack ya bags then hit the road and stop being a bloody sook :eek:

Latest posts