Another call for help re. an unknown ring

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngerManagement

Repairs + X-pointers
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
A mate found this in an old part of a town in NZ.

It was deep and dirty and did not look like much at first. After a clean up the design looks like a possible thistle and sort of says to me - Some where from the UK.

Any thoughts/comments are welcome.

PS. I believe it has no hallmarks etc but is silver - I am assuming marked 925 but will check.

1554538783_silver_unknown_n.jpg

Was thinking the same...

If it had hallmarks it could have been older and maybe a clan design.

But either way it is a nice bit and the finder is stoked.

Thanks

I'd say definitely Scottish - but what's the story with the band? It looks kind of like wood.

Wax seals are normally flat and the patterns on the sides are too low to be used in the seal design when in use.
. Looks like a serviette or napkin ring to me.

FOZ

Maybe it came off one of these..? A sgian dubh. They come in all kinds of materials. The thistle is the symbol of Scotland, so I doubt it's a specific clan crest, but more like a Scottish ornamentation.

1554547676_sgian_dubh.jpg

And here's one with an antler handle...

1554548176_antler.jpg

Description of a sgian dubh... This fits it pretty well...

Traditionally the scabbard is made of leather reinforced with wood and fitted with mounts of silver or some other metal which may be cast or engraved with designs ranging from Scottish thistles, Celtic knotwork, or heraldic elements such as a crest. While this makes for more popular and expensive knives, the sheath is hidden from view in the stocking while the sgian-dubh is worn. The sheaths of many modern sgian-dubhs are made of plastic mounted with less expensive metal fittings.

Since the modern sgian-dubh is worn mainly as a ceremonial item of dress and is usually not employed for cutting food or self-defence, blades are often of a simple (but not unglamorous) construction. These are typically made from stainless steel. The hilts used on many modern sgian-dubhs are made of plastic that has been molded to resemble carved wood and fitted with cast metal mounts and synthetic decorative stones. Some are not even knives at all, but a plastic handle and sheath cast as one piece. Other examples are luxurious and expensive art pieces, with hand-carved ebony or bog wood hilts, sterling silver fittings and may have pommels set with genuine cairngorm stones and blades of Damascus steel or etched with Celtic designs or heraldic motifs.

I will try and get some more.

1. It is a man's ring

2. Put on the antler tip just to hold the ring.

It is just a ring and not some fancy...

Might be a Order of the Thistle ring but havent been able to find that particular design although aspects look very similar to their designs

Latest posts