Help Needed To Identify A Possible Ring?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys
As a lot of you are very good at identifying old things I thought I would put this up and see if anyone may point us in the right direction.
A relative of mine found this in northern NSW.
It was an old pub site (1800s ) and they had found A lot of old English coins as well as a full sovereign.
We have been searching for weeks and even had a local museum look at it with no success. It does look like it says 1997 so maybe it was home made.Or it could be Lcc1 0...Please
Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers Guys.
1554368677_img_20190404_22382.jpg
1554368691_img_20190404_0118.jpg
1554368707_img_20190404_2752.jpg
1554369051_img_20190404_52307.jpg

Cheers guys :)

I reckon it's ancient. You can see how the insert has been tucked and hammered to hold it in place.
The Romans were still in the UK around the 3rd and 4th Century AD - and then there were the Vikings... That pattern looks kind of Viking-ish to me...
Perhaps a Scot found it and wore it?

If you look at the outside edges, every segment where there is a dimple/dent there is like a join. Also the outer golden coloured bit has been put on after the main ring part and peened over to make it stay there like a rivited join from the main ring, very odd. I am thinking it's quite old just because there seems to be a lot of work involved in making it.
Might be 3 wrong.

Yes, I looked at that too Wishfull. LCCI is 701. But what's the O after it?

How cool would it be if it was made in the year 701?!! :eek:

Cheers Guys.
The ring will be tested in the next week to see what it made of.
It's also sparking a lot of interest on an antique identification site with over 1000 views and comments in just two days.
Hopefully it can be identified.
I will keep you all informed of its progress.
Cheers , and thanks Megsy and wishful. :beer:

Where do jewellery hallmarks come from? The origins of jewellery hallmarking can be traced as far back as 1238 A.D when the first standards of gold and silver quality were officially laid down.

This is what I found on the origins of hallmarks

Okay mate I found out the name of that pattern, it is a Quatrefoil Gothic used in Christianity...

Quatrefoil in Gothic Architecture
In Christianity, the quatrefoil was adopted to represent the four gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. It became a prominent design element in Gothic architecture, where it was used in tracery and stained glass windows.

1554450427_10999386-element-windows-in-gothic-style-stock-vector-gothic-window-church.jpg

Interesting, Luke 2.27 talks about Jesus being presented to Simeon to do what was necessary by Law and Luke 12.27 which is about consider the lilies, how they grow, they neither toil or spin etc.
It's still a very nice fing.
Mackka

Hi Guys just letting you know that the ring has been identified as 1960 to 1970 costume jewellery :lol: :lol:
Oh well maybe next time.
Thank you to those that tried to help in its identification . :clap: :Y: :beer:

Latest posts