SDC2300 And Coiltek 14 x 9 Finds Thread (First Day First Gold)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working tonight and next few nights. If ok will call you to arrange next week . Want to get more testing done before heading to Vic in late May with the swag for some serious detecting.

Cheers

I'm not surprised to see the variation in results because both machines were in different ground with different temperatures and moisture content. The SDC will set its own sensitivity to combat interference from mineralised ground or whatever is troubling in at the time. Sometimes you'll get a 1g nugget at 200mm and the next time you can almost push it about on the surface before the SDC recognises it. Having both machines at the same location at the same time is a great way to get a good read on things.

I think with the SDC they detectors may differ ,a friends had trouble with their older scd when another friend gave them his new scd to use she said the newer detector was a far better detector.A few month after I was talking to a few fellows in the bush they had several sdc I asked if they had noticed any difference between the detectors and the answer was yes the new sdc was better than the older detector .regards john :Y:

When in Talbot John you set up my new 4500 and 17 x 13 NF for me and if you recall there seemed to be a difference compared to an older machine and I have had the same situation but in reverse with the SDC , and that was the exact reason we went to the trouble of changing back to standard 8 inch before we conducted the tests so Dave and I could compare the machines against each other to create a control base . Previously I had been detecting with a bloke about a year ago and we both had SDC's , mine was an older machine and on the same undisturbed target which turned out to be gold there was a definite difference with my machine just pinging the target and his not at all . He returned his machine for checking and was told it was operating within "acceptable tolerances". During Dave and my tests machines were identical in standard form so I guess not all are created equally but some are.

Cheers

Noticed the same thing many times over the years also Bacchus. All detectors will have their own little unique nuances and anomalies, particularly when dealing with tiny electrical components that may be soldiered differently or parts that have super subtle changes in conductivity/resistance etc.

The differences can be fairly dramatic at times too! It can almost feel strange or foreign in a way to run someone else's detector that you're not used to. A good learning experience at times.

:Y:

A test bed is not really to see how deep you can pick up a target in a measured sense..Because 10 inches deep has so many variations..between different test beds and a natural target..A 2 gram target well you wont get Two the same unless its a round shot ..In my opinion a test bed only compares how different machines, settings and coils will perform against each other on the same test bed..This is a true guide..And we really shouldnt compare different depth,s ect if its not the same test bed..

I tried mine out today and I am sold. Tried a spot that I have hammered and picked up 5 good sized noisy
rocks that were down a fair way and also a couple of 50cm2 areas with a bit of noise that I dug up and put
through my dry blower.
Will feed it all through my crusher tomorrow and report back with the weight.
It was very interesting on the salt settings With some good signals that arent there on a stock sdc
but I ran out of time to dig them up.

I have been using the SDC2300 for two-and-a-half years with good success - just over 360 bits ranging from 0.02 to 0.85 (still waiting for something other than zero before the decimal point).

I picked up a new Coiltek 11" coil on the Wednesday before Easter thinking that it would turn my great machine into an awesome machine. However, rather than extending the capabilities, I found that it has pretty much changed the dynamics. Over a couple of hours per day for seven days, I picked up one 0.08gm piece an inch below the surface. I am still finding shotgun pellets, though, and some I believe were deeper than I would normally find, but no gold.

Things that I like:
-I am 6'1 in the old scale and I always thought the machine was about an inch short. The extra length provided by the conversion kit is great.
-I also like the extra ground coverage of the bigger coil, and it also seems to enforce more discipline - I am less inclined to sweep past the previous sweep out of impatience.
-It is heavier than the previous coil, but I generally never used the bungy on the harness previously, so that balances the extra weight nicely.
-I also used to have problems previously where the head would become floppy out in the field and it was difficult to tighten without a screw driver, which I didn't carry. The wing nut assembly has taken care of that.

Things that are much the same:
-I read earlier about EMI, and I glad to hear mention of the breeze - I thought that I was crazy when it seemed that I could hear the wind coming through the bush. -Interference from road traffic and aircraft is marginally higher, and I still get the ghost pings and warbling.

Things that I don't like as much:

-Everything seems to be a target. I am running on a sensitivity of 3 and turning down the machine's volume and turning up the booster volume seems to have helped a little, but whenever the coil lifts off the ground a centimetre or so, like when running over a stone, I get a rising tone and then a descending tone as it goes over, sounding like a target.
-I also got to the point with the old coil where it seemed to be more of a sensation than a sound that there was something a little deeper. Once the surface was scraped I could hear the target. I was getting the same sensation last week, but after scraping the surface there was nothing. I lost count of the times that happened.

Anyway, in summary, I will persevere. I didn't find anything for weeks when I first bought the SDC and it all turned around, so I am hoping for the same result.

CJR said:
-I also got to the point with the old coil where it seemed to be more of a sensation than a sound that there was something a little deeper. Once the surface was scraped I could hear the target. I was getting the same sensation last week, but after scraping the surface there was nothing. I lost count of the times that happened.

Anyway, in summary, I will persevere. I didn't find anything for weeks when I first bought the SDC and it all turned around, so I am hoping for the same result.

Probably the most common experience encountered by long time SDC users. I put it down to subconsciously understanding the unique language of the machine . You seem to hear things others dont if you listen through the warble, start to scrape and a deep target is there. Like you I am hoping that develops over time with the new coil :Y:

Cheers and nice post

So I picked up 14.2 grams yesterday, this is in a small area that has been flogged by 3 people with sdcs. I also went over it with a 7000 for only 4g.
I think it is a good thing for gold that a stock sdc overlooks so not really better but different. Like the difference between wet and dry ground.

Regarding the 11" Coiltek coil for the SDC, I decided to persevere, but yesterday was day 10 out with the new coil.

I have tried all sorts of settings, even down into the salt settings, but have had very mixed results. The salt settings actually reduced some of the ground noise, but didn't improve the yield. I have flipped the tone from rising to dropping and it improved a little, but I swung across a 0.1gm test target lying on the ground and lost it at about 3 inches using my normal settings.

Over the ten days, I have had a 0.08, a 0.06, and a 0.20gm on separate days - that's it for the gold and it is very unusual. I usually take home all of my shotgun pellets in the spirit of cleaning up the bush, but even there I have only had a handful. Some days I used to go home with 20 or 30. Long-term SDC users will probably agree that this is not usual SDC behaviour.

I was hoping to turn my great SDC into an awesome SDC, but it is no longer an SDC at all and I am disappointed.

Anyway, I rang Coiltek in Maryborough today and asked if they wouldn't mind re-installing the original coil next time I'm in town. They are happy to do that for me.

I will miss the wider reach and extra length provided by the conversion kit, but I just want my old SDC back. I guess that I will have a second-hand 11" coil and conversion kit for sale (if I haven't turned prospective buyers off).

Regards.

I took the new 11" SDC coil back today and had the old coil re-installed on the SDC. When discussing the next step I said that I no longer needed the coil and I was happy to sell it second-hand, seeing that I had used it for roughly 30 hours over 10 days and hadn't taken it back the next day.

In a pleasing turn of events, I was offered a refund.

In a not so pleasing turn of events, apparently the policy is that they only refund the wholesale price, i.e. the price that the outlet shop pays for the product. This turned out to be 67% of the total cost of the coil and the conversion kit.

On the basis that I had been determined to persevere with the coil until I was convinced that it wasn't what I wanted, I accepted, although I doubt that this approach to refunds would be legal under consumer law. I am sure that if someone had the time and energy to take them to task, then Consumer Affairs or VCAT would probably have something to say.

Anyway, good luck to anyone in a similar situation!

CJR said:
I took the new 11" SDC coil back today and had the old coil re-installed on the SDC. When discussing the next step I said that I no longer needed the coil and I was happy to sell it second-hand, seeing that I had used it for roughly 30 hours over 10 days and hadn't taken it back the next day.

In a not so pleasing turn of events, apparently the policy is that they only refund the wholesale price, i.e. the price that the outlet shop pays for the product. This turned out to be 67% of the total cost of the coil and the conversion kit.

On the basis that I had been determined to persevere with the coil until I was convinced that it wasn't what I wanted, I accepted, although I doubt that this approach to refunds would be legal under consumer law. I am sure that if someone had the time and energy to take them to task, then Consumer Affairs or VCAT would probably have something to say.

I am not aware of too many situations where someone purchases a product, tries it out and then gets a full refund unless it's one of those "100% money back guarantee if not fully satisfied" and even then there can be admin or freight costs the consumer has to cover.

It's not clear what CJR is really saying here...not happy to get back 67% of the purchase costs after a change of heart...when he was happy to sell the coil second hand where anything above 50% of purchase cost would be a a good deal.

Was he really expecting to get a 100% refund after scraping the coil over ground for 30 hours. The would truely make the coil 'used'.

Seems that here and in other forums several people have stated that they returned these new SDC coils and that sounds like a manufacturer and the retailers trying to do the right thing rather than rip people off.

CJR said he "no longer needed the coil" and no mention that the unit was defective or not fit for purpose. Not sure how consumer law is meant to protect against changing your mind after using a product...very different to seeking a refund for an unused still packaged product and different again when applied to a product that is genuinely defective.

My son sent me a report on the new 14/9 coil not sure what site but the user is from a tour operater and he gave a good review I spok to the guys from Coiltek gold centre Maryboura vic about the new sdc coils and they said ther was a bad batch of coils but the problem has been sorted heres the review cheers Muk.
1557640241_96a298fb-9c55-4014-8043-bbb1410d1c09.jpg

1557640241_cca731ad-2668-48dd-b55d-08f6d5d488ed.jpg

thats what i want not to pick up those lead pellets spending hours for nothing

MikeB05 said:
CJR said:

I am not aware of too many situations where someone purchases a product, tries it out and then gets a full refund unless it's one of those "100% money back guarantee if not fully satisfied" and even then there can be admin or freight costs the consumer has to cover.

It's not clear what CJR is really saying here...not happy to get back 67% of the purchase costs after a change of heart...when he was happy to sell the coil second hand where anything above 50% of purchase cost would be a a good deal.

Was he really expecting to get a 100% refund after scraping the coil over ground for 30 hours. The would truely make the coil 'used'.

Seems that here and in other forums several people have stated that they returned these new SDC coils and that sounds like a manufacturer and the retailers trying to do the right thing rather than rip people off.

CJR said he "no longer needed the coil" and no mention that the unit was defective or not fit for purpose. Not sure how consumer law is meant to protect against changing your mind after using a product...very different to seeking a refund for an unused still packaged product and different again when applied to a product that is genuinely defective.

The coil was not fit for purpose. It was marketed as Gold Extreme and was anything but - unless I have the wrong definition of Extreme. There are numerous reports of a bad batch of coils and I am more than willing to propose that I received one of those. But if that is the case, and no doubt the retailer was aware of a bunch of bad coils, I was not offered a swap on the basis that I may have received one of those. Additionally, during the period of use I returned to the retailer three times to provide feedback on my poorer than expected experience with the coil - the first time was the day after purchase.

While I was willing to sell the coil as second-hand, due to the amount of use, even under a consignment arrangement, a refund was offered by the retailer (not requested), although the policy on refunds was explained at the time, which I took to mean as a refund policy under any circumstances. While I was personally happy that the refund amount matched the amount that I was willing to accept, that is not a refund for a defective product under Australian consumer law and I was just notifying anybody else that they might not get a full refund as expected. When a consumer purchases most other warranted products that do not perform as expected, or advertised, they would generally not expect the retailer to keep a third of the retail price.

I really wanted the new coil to be an improvement, so I gave it as much opportunity to delight as possible, but it failed on all counts. It was not an unused, still packaged product returned due to a change of heart, it was a product that failed to deliver.

CJR said:
MikeB05 said:
CJR said:

The coil was not fit for purpose. It was marketed as Gold Extreme and was anything but - unless I have the wrong definition of Extreme. There are numerous reports of a bad batch of coils and I am more than willing to propose that I received one of those. But if that is the case, and no doubt the retailer was aware of a bunch of bad coils, I was not offered a swap on the basis that I may have received one of those. Additionally, during the period of use I returned to the retailer three times to provide feedback on my poorer than expected experience with the coil - the first time was the day after purchase.

While I was willing to sell the coil as second-hand, due to the amount of use, even under a consignment arrangement, a refund was offered by the retailer (not requested), although the policy on refunds was explained at the time, which I took to mean as a refund policy under any circumstances. While I was personally happy that the refund amount matched the amount that I was willing to accept, that is not a refund for a defective product under Australian consumer law and I was just notifying anybody else that they might not get a full refund as expected. When a consumer purchases most other warranted products that do not perform as expected, or advertised, they would generally not expect the retailer to keep a third of the retail price.

I really wanted the new coil to be an improvement, so I gave it as much opportunity to delight as possible, but it failed on all counts. It was not an unused, still packaged product returned due to a change of heart, it was a product that failed to deliver.

Looks like CJR actually answered my question...the coild was unfit for purpose and in that case he should have been given a full refund

Latest posts