Can Gold Be Found Anywhere?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im not in the golden triangle but where I live theres plenty of old mines and deep deep shafts around. A lot of gold was pulled out in the day. Is the gold on the surface or only deep in the ground? As Im aware areas around Bendigo you can detect for surface nuggets would this be the same around where I'am to? Is there anything I should be looking for as telltale signs of gold?

VicGoldHunter said:
Im not in the golden triangle but where I live theres plenty of old mines and deep deep shafts around. A lot of gold was pulled out in the day. Is the gold on the surface or only deep in the ground? As Im aware areas around Bendigo you can detect for surface nuggets would this be the same around where iam to? Is there anything I should be looking for as telltale signs of gold?

Gday

As stated you will have to put in some time in research to see what information you can come up with in regards to what the old timers were getting the gold from, by this I mean that were they working alluvials or were they hard rock mining?, very often you can tell this by the workings themselves and having a walk around the area to see what they have been up to and to look for signs of how they were working the place, if there were just mines and little stone to be seen on the surface then its safe to say that they were probably taking the stone removed from the mine for crushing so it may have been more or less hard rock mining.

If for instance there are vast amounts of what looks like overburden gravel and sand then they were likely to be working deep leads, ancient riverbeds which means once digging down through the overburden and reaching the old riverbed they would have been processing the gravels for the gold nuggets, they could also be working the clay and you may see signs of puddlers and maybe old constructed water races were they could have been sluicing the material for the gold, some areas were heavily surfaced where they would take away all the surface soils and wash it out for the gold, the chinese were particularly good at this as it was very labour intensive.

If in these areas you find areas that have been scraped by a dozer or whatever you could probably assume that this was done for alluvial gold and for the the purpose of detecting the ground or removing the soil for dryblowing or washing, this is probably more common over here in the west mainly due to the lack of water supplies here in the early days.

The best method is to get on the ground with your detector and work the down slopes and flats beneath where the mines are located, also around the overburden with a small coil as you might ping some specimen nuggets as well as the old timers could only visually inspect the rock brought to the surface and often gold contained inside the rock was not seen and the rock discarded, you may or may not do any good in the area but at least you will get the answers you were looking for, just for the record some of the best areas I have worked were never known for alluvial gold by the old timers and were only discovered to have detectable gold in later years, and some of the best gold I have found was in areas that you would walk through to get to somewhere else, so its always worth the effort to spend the time in a place as you will find out one way or another.

cheers

stayyerAU

StayyerAU said:
VicGoldHunter said:
Im not in the golden triangle but where I live theres plenty of old mines and deep deep shafts around. A lot of gold was pulled out in the day. Is the gold on the surface or only deep in the ground? As Im aware areas around Bendigo you can detect for surface nuggets would this be the same around where iam to? Is there anything I should be looking for as telltale signs of gold?

Gday

As stated you will have to put in some time in research to see what information you can come up with in regards to what the old timers were getting the gold from, by this I mean that were they working alluvials or were they hard rock mining?, very often you can tell this by the workings themselves and having a walk around the area to see what they have been up to and to look for signs of how they were working the place, if there were just mines and little stone to be seen on the surface then its safe to say that they were probably taking the stone removed from the mine for crushing so it may have been more or less hard rock mining.

If for instance there are vast amounts of what looks like overburden gravel and sand then they were likely to be working deep leads, ancient riverbeds which means once digging down through the overburden and reaching the old riverbed they would have been processing the gravels for the gold nuggets, they could also be working the clay and you may see signs of puddlers and maybe old constructed water races were they could have been sluicing the material for the gold, some areas were heavily surfaced where they would take away all the surface soils and wash it out for the gold, the chinese were particularly good at this as it was very labour intensive.

If in these areas you find areas that have been scraped by a dozer or whatever you could probably assume that this was done for alluvial gold and for the the purpose of detecting the ground or removing the soil for dryblowing or washing, this is probably more common over here in the west mainly due to the lack of water supplies here in the early days.

The best method is to get on the ground with your detector and work the down slopes and flats beneath where the mines are located, also around the overburden with a small coil as you might ping some specimen nuggets as well as the old timers could only visually inspect the rock brought to the surface and often gold contained inside the rock was not seen and the rock discarded, you may or may not do any good in the area but at least you will get the answers you were looking for, just for the record some of the best areas I have worked were never known for alluvial gold by the old timers and were only discovered to have detectable gold in later years, and some of the best gold I have found was in areas that you would walk through to get to somewhere else, so its always worth the effort to spend the time in a place as you will find out one way or another.

cheers

stayyerAU

Thanks so much for the detailed reply, Ive done thorough research looking at old books etc and the mines in my town it was hard rock mining looking for quartz veins, deep shafts and mines bringing ore back to the surface and crushing at a battery. But theres also old stories of a 1.8kg nugget found and gold bearing quartz veins which started them mining in the area to begin with Which Id assume was near the surface?

Another town close by had alluvial gold I know for a fact and was known to have nuggets which apparently was unusual for east Victoria? But Im wondering if these are detectable or very deep in the ground. The informations all there Ive been looking for but vague as to the general depth and terrain they were found.

Another thing I found was that near the opening of the mine there is heaps of holes and mounds in the ground, what are these?

People can't help much if you don't even indicate where you live. The locations of goldfields is no secret (only places in goldfields where you personally find good gold).

Jaros said:
Holes and mounds.....where people have looked for gold. Shouldn't be any holes at all coz you must fill them in!! :)
Depends when they were dug - rehab wasn't much practiced 150 years ago. :argh:

VicGoldHunter said:
StayyerAU said:
VicGoldHunter said:

Gday

cheers

stayyerAU

Thanks so much for the detailed reply, Ive done thorough research looking at old books etc and the mines in my town it was hard rock mining looking for quartz veins, deep shafts and mines bringing ore back to the surface and crushing at a battery. But theres also old stories of a 1.8kg nugget found and gold bearing quartz veins which started them mining in the area to begin with Which Id assume was near the surface?

Another town close by had alluvial gold I know for a fact and was known to have nuggets which apparently was unusual for east Victoria? But Im wondering if these are detectable or very deep in the ground. The informations all there Ive been looking for but vague as to the general depth and terrain they were found.

Another thing I found was that near the opening of the mine there is heaps of holes and mounds in the ground, what are these?

Gday

If that is the case you can still detect around the mines for any stone dropped or discarded that might contain gold, or if you are into relics and coins you might even pick up something worthwhile anyway, the many holes and that you will see around close to the mines would either be sample holes or other detectorists digging rubbish, plenty of that to be found around a mine site thats for sure, also don't be tempted to get too close to the shafts as many are unstable and can collapse.

If the other area is better known for alluvial gold then further research and groundwork is the only way you will find out, like previously mentioned you need to have a look and see what tell tale signs are still there, most areas you can see what the old timers or later prospectors were up to, if you see areas of surfacing or scraping then its a fair guess that the gold was shallow in places, if there are significant mounds of overburden heaped about the place they would have been probably working the deep gravels of old riverbeds.

It is also possible that the host rock whether it be quartz or ironstone or whatever can be close to the surface in other spots around the mines, so searching in between the mines following the line from one to the other might prove to be worthwhile, look for areas of low vegetation or fewer trees as this might indicate the presence of a reef being just under and closer to the surface, as the soil covering is not deep enough to support bigger plants.

cheers

stayyerAU

Latest posts