Trailer & Caravan Hitch

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Jayco Outback camper currently uses the standard/fixed ball coupling hitch, but I'd like something better suited to rougher trails (with more coupling articulation), and was thinking of the DO35 Hitch.
They appear to be self-aligning, and far easier to couple than the Tregg.
Has anyone tried them?
Any others worth considering, like the AL-KOs Off-Road Ball coupling?

I use the DO35 on the Tvan..

Seems OK but like most things it comes back to the variables.

Like most hitches, you need to maintain and also good with lining up.

I need something with at least a 12"mouth and guide LOL.

Thanks guys.
What I have heard of the DO35 is that they are incredibly easy to align (especially with a reversing camera - which the Jeep has).
What I like about the AL-KO is that you can use your standard 50mm tow ball, but harder to align - just like my fixed ball coupler.

OzzieAu, how do you find the Mchitch conversion, I've got one but not had the opportunity to use it yet. Looks like it's an easier hitch up.

I use a mcHitch and love it full articulation off road and solid as a rock
Jim

Manpa said:
OzzieAu, how do you find the Mchitch conversion, I've got one but not had the opportunity to use it yet. Looks like it's an easier hitch up.
Manpa, the McHitch setup is much easier to align than the pin in the hole arrangement on the Treg coupling. You just have to back up above the tapered reciever and lower your tow hitch down onto the taper and it just self aligns.... only have to lock the coupling down and away you go.

Hi Bigwave,

I run the treg hitch on my camper. The reversing camera on the ute makes it so easy to line up. I must admit that having a second person to adjust the height of the hitch as the tow vehicle reverses in is an advantage. When you do it on your own, you will have to stop and get out of the ute to get the height just right.

xcvator said:
I hate to burst your bubble BW, but every coupling has to be lined up the same way, if you can't line up the ball you won't line up the do35 either but these ( https://www.couplemate.com.au/caravan-parts/couplemate-marriage-saver/ ) certainly help.

For the height I just check the tow ball against my knee and check it against the hitch on the van, simple, like me :eek:

Hi Keith, I've a reversing camera, so i can get it very close (solo) without ever having touching a bumper. I just need the extra articulation.

My daughter and son inlaw have a McHitch on their Mars camper and love it , and with the reversing camera makes for easy hook ups and disconnects and offers plenty of articulation. They are currently touring Tasmania free camping and having a ball .
Have you had the suspension lift upgrade done yet BW and if so how'd it turn out ?
Cheers Booney.

Hi Booney. Yep, the 2.5" lift is in and looks/feels good. Now the rock sliders, and replacement hitch, then ready to roll.
Also to get a chip in car to help fix turbo lag.
Geez - shelling out much moola, as have agreed to pay most of daughter's wedding, and am already putting down big deposits. :argh:

I have ordered the AL-KO coupler, although the McHitch had great reviews - as did the KO35.
I currently have two hitches - one with Rock Tamers fitted, and one plain, so wanted to keep the 50mm balls on each.
I also like my van able to be towed (if ever required) by a truck not carrying an unusual coupler.
I may regret not getting a McHitch, but these AL-KOs look pretty good.
Thanks for your feedback guys :Y:

BigWave said:
Hi Booney. Yep, the 2.5" lift is in and looks/feels good. Now the rock sliders, and replacement hitch, then ready to roll.
Also to get a chip in car to help fix turbo lag.
Geez - shelling out much moola, as have agreed to pay most of daughter's wedding, and am already putting down big deposits. :argh:
Gday BW. I just put an after market chip from chip my diesel. Ive got a Mazda bt50 which had awful turbo lag. It has made a big difference in the lag and the power seems to be increased. I also think the gear changes (auto) are a lot smoother. This may be worth having a look at. Cheers Rick. Ps fuel economy has not increased as advised. I still have more settings to try. :Y:

It all comes down to what suits you and your needs BW . Im not sure how the rock tamers would fit on the McHitch so probably the AL-KOs a good choice.
Looking forward to seeing the Jeep with all the new bling. Trying to change a few dates around to find some time to get to the PA camp for Easter all gos well might see you there.
Cheers Booney.

Latest posts