Equinox And False Signals?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2lateagain

Too old to care anyway.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went out yesterday with the Equinox 600, first good signal was around the 21-22 in dry sand, ended up digging a good sized hole 300mm deep, signal gone and nothing to be found in what came out, bit miffed, filled in the hole and went further along the beach, tourists had stopped nearby and were using cameras and bits, thought that may have something to do with the problem.
Ended up in the tidal area still on beach 1 and on two occasions had a good solid 28 signal (two different areas of beach) dug a small hole on each occasion with scoop, once the signal was still there, so another scoop full and it was gone, checked the sand out of the scoop very carefully, pushed it out flat, but nothing was found and on checking the hole again it was a 4, the other occasion nothing was found at all. Tried switching to beach 2 and ground balance each time. Wife also had similar on different area of beach. The area we were in has layer of sand over rocks and a good layer of shell grit, I am sure from other finds that there has been a boat wreck in the past as we dug down to about 350mm, the pin pointer was going berserk over a very large area, but too many rocks and our hands were covered in what looked like black ink, so covered it all up again. The Equinox is steady, no other noises until we hit as described above, just wondering if we are doing anything wrong. Using the factory preset at present.

Graham

Oxidised iron can give a good signal (high 20s) at depth, particularly when passing under the edge of the coil, and dissapears once dug if the discriminator takes out the iron signals. If I am careful, I find they are usually jumpy signals and then I switch to all metal mode to confirm it is an iron target with a high tone halo effect and walk away ............ but it could be a small silver coin next to or under iron.

Other false signal is small bits of aluminium can, I find they give a false target centre and dissapear when I dig the hole. They are usually found a couple of inches into the side of the hole, often where I have placed the extracted sand. Good technique with the pinpoint function from multiple directions usually indicates the true centre, but it also confirms the junk ID.

Yeah, all metal mode will usually sort out the big rusty iron then pinpoint on the ferrous signal to see how big it is.

Went out yesterday, I am using the 15 x 12 coil and got a good signal and after the first scoop it was gone again, but this time I had the wife nearby with the 11 coil on her equinox and she got a signal and dug up a 10c piece. I am thinking the larger coil may find objects deeper and over a bigger area, but a bit like the gold detectors it looses smaller things closer to the surface. Had another good solid 22 from all directions, but one scoop full and it was gone again, tried the all metal mode, nothing found, wife got a much smaller signal, not strong. Might go back to the 11 inch for a while.

Graham

Ive found this to happen on the beach with my nox.
Usually only with modern coins .
Once dug I sometimes lose the signal and have to give the pile a kick or give the hole another dig to move the coin.I think the coin must go on edge. :Y:

I agree SB it has to be something like that as a good strong signal that goes missing in the first or second dig is odd. I thought that the bigger coil might have something to with it being too close. I normally flatten it all out and then push back in hole and try again, but once disturbed do not seem to be able to get the signal again. Might try lifting the coil higher above the sand and see if that makes any difference.

Definitely try lifting the coil. Pretty sure the Nox just nulls a target on overload.

Latest posts