My first detector Garrett AT Gold or Minelab Goldmonster

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday guys and girls, well its time to move away from panning (crook back) and so im looking at my first detector, ive looked around and read a stack of info and now it seems im more lost now than when i started..Bloody hell theres alot of info out there..Anyway for the money i have and the info ive gotten, ive narrowed it down to either the Garrett AT gold or the Minelab Gold Monster 1000..(you also might have another in mind) ...Ill be using it on river and creek beds (just the coil to get wet) mainly for gold plus i want to do a bit of coin and relic hunting as well..What do people think of these 2 or even which 1 would be the better of the 2..I just cant make up my mind and need a hand to push me in one direction..Thanks very much..Dave.. :D :D

Ill have a look around at that one then, does anyone think the GM 1000 is any good, i cant see much info on here about it..

The GM1000 is good but predominantly aimed at gold detecting with a fixed high frequency 45khz.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=23987
The Equinox 800 will give you more versatility as it has selectable frequencies 5, 10, 15, 20 & 40khz (including the higher frequencies for gold) plus the ability to operate using multiple frequencies. It will cover coins & relics a lot better.

uttu kaos said:
Ill have a look around at that one then, does anyone think the GM 1000 is any good, i cant see much info on here about it..

I was quite happy with mine. It did detect gold when the coil was put over gold. Very good at the small bits.

But, the Equinox will do just as well, is waterproof, has great audio variability, notching ability, is just as light, better audio options with regard to headphones/wireless/Bluetooth, etc.
It is just far more versatile.

And if you are targeting trashy parks for coins then definitely the Equinox over the Monster.

Hope that helps :Y:

uttu kaos said:

The GM1000 is fine for its intended purpose - detecting small gold nuggets, so it would certainly suit your primary purpose, "Ill be using it on river and creek beds (just the coil to get wet) mainly for gold". Steve Hershbach's US review gives a very good description of its various features:
https://www.detectorprospector.com/...elab-gold-monster-1000-nugget-metal-detector/

However your secondary use of "plus i want to do a bit of coin and relic hunting as well", is not well covered by the GM1000's specs. Unless you enjoy digging endless trash, coin and relic hunting requires a better discrimination system than the GM1000 offers. The Equinox detectors recommended above have proven versatile enough to be adequate for occasional gold hunting use and excellent for coins and relics, even on wet beach sand, which usually is a difficult detecting challenge.

Sweet, i got it now, it looks as though the Equinox is what i need..thanks very much for the info, greatly appreciated....now to have a look around and see if i can find a good deal....

Latest posts