Fixed Or Auto Tracking

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I run my 4500 in auto tracking but when reading various articles have noticed most operators are running in fixed . Question is why do you prefer to run in fixed ? Cheers Crushed

auto tracking sacrifices a little depth...according to experts.
I prefer fixed and constantly ground balancing.....it gets me into a nice 'rythym' and when I am driving the detector and ground balancing I can hear any changes as the machine tunes itself in to the dirt...it keeps me more aware of what the ground is doing. I have seldom come across dirt where I needed auto tune.

I use both but mainly fixed.
In fixed you should get better sensitivity & depth. Being in fixed can also help you to get an indication of where/when the ground changes. With the quick track button it's a simple process to re-ground balance regularly & most get into the habit of doing it easily. If your going over an area where you've previously found gold then you should be going slow & carefully so fixed is the best option IMO.
I use tracking in ground that I'm finding is requiring a lot of re-balancing or where I want to go a bit quicker - at a loss of a bit of sensitivity + depth you can gain a bit of speed over new areas. Good for patch hunting etc.
Just remember while in tracking to hold in the quick track button or flick into fixed if you think you have a faint signal to check it. Auto Tracking can balance some small/faint signals out but by using the correct process it won't happen :Y:

I run in Tracking but I also riun my settings Hot and in very liberalized, quick changing ground.

Always fixed and wind the gain up to max if you get a faint target.
If it's metal the target jumps out at you, then wind the gain back down to your preferred level, switch your booster into bypass (so you don't alert the neighbors) and then swing that pick.
Don't give a s**t about loss of sensitivity and the never ending garble about DEPTH. :mad:
A target depth can vary greatly depending on the position it is laying in it's halo.
Air tests are for those with to much time on their hands or they are not finding gold. :p

Gday

One of the draw backs with using tracking is that if you constantly wave the coil over an iffy target signal then you can possibly track the target out, and just think that you have only heard ground noise, then you may end up walking away from a deep nugget, I prefer to use fixed and ground balance very often, the other upside of running in fixed is that when the ground changes it will alert you, a sudden change in the ground balance will indicate that an area that has had more past activity and higher mineralisation which can mean a higher chance of gold being present, a bit like when you walk in to an area that has a lot of hot rocks as that usually indicates the presence of nuggets as well.

cheers

StayyerAU

Latest posts