Brisbane, Warwick, SE Qld Clubs

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad-Habits

Matthew Conroy
Reaction score
Hey all. Im about 40mins north of brisbane at caboolture, got a couple of spots i would love to try oneday soon if someone would like to tag along.Dont know how many times if at all these spots have been done but would stil be fun. Old military site and an old school i believe.

Bad-Habits said:
Hey all. Im about 40mins north of brisbane at caboolture, got a couple of spots i would love to try oneday soon if someone would like to tag along.Dont know how many times if at all these spots have been done but would stil be fun. Old military site and an old school i believe.

Funny that, I'm in Caboolture and I just joined today as well.
Oh, and guess what, I just bought a X Terra 705 gold pack, same as yours.
Scored it off ebay with an extra 15" coiltek coil.
Might catch up with you one day.
Cheers, Ron.

hi guys,i am fairly new to all this,as i live north of brisbane would like to meet and greet people with an interest in gold nuggets,i have been to caloundra beaches but want to try for gold,hope to meet anyone ,bulldogqld(evan)

hey guys i'm a little south of you fellas -in petrie and would love to join you on an expedition as i am looking at buying an x terra 705 and would love to see it in action before i shell out some cash on something i know nothing about -think of me as a sponge- willing to soak up any knowledge that is willingly given :cool:

Hi all, impatiently waiting for my first REAL detector garrett ace250, should be turning up tomorrow and can't wait to get hunting. I must have watched nearly all detecting vids and many forums, i'm glad i eventually stumbled across this one, it looks awesome and full of tips and info. Hope to start posting finds soon. :D

madmax3022 said:
Hi all, impatiently waiting for my first REAL detector garrett ace250, should be turning up tomorrow and can't wait to get hunting. I must have watched nearly all detecting vids and many forums, i'm glad i eventually stumbled across this one, it looks awesome and full of tips and info. Hope to start posting finds soon. :D

Welcome madmax, happy to have you on board.

The Ace 250 is a great machine to start with, if you have any questions please feel free to ask them, there's plenty of helpful guys here who are more than happy to lend a hand.

I look forward to seeing you around the forum.

Cheers,
Nugget

Is it a waste of time if i take my ace250 to the gympie fossicking area? Or would i need a better detector and a place that hasn't been picked over so much

There's probably no real answer to that question. Pretty much all detectors will pick up on gold, its the size and depth that varies and as to whether or not the detector can handle the ground conditions at that particular site. Gold configured detectors are generally designed to handle the different levels of ground mineralisation and conditions that most "standard" detectors might have trouble with.

So I'd say if that's the best detector you have, it's worth a shot, who knows you might even find a Holey Dollar :D

Would it be a good idea to get one of those smaller coils designed more for nugget hunting?

Yes and no, you have a few different options. The smaller searchcoils tend to pick up on smaller targets and have much better target separation but at less of a depth than the larger searchcoils. It's not always the case though as there are a number of different factors involved.

A few things to consider when choosing your searchcoil
  • What type of target you are chassing, i.e. gold, coins, relics, caches etc[/*]
  • The size of the targets you are chassing[/*]
  • At what depth you are expecting to find these targets[/*]
  • The ground conditions, is it highly mineralised ground, is it trashy etc[/*]

Concentric searchcoil
  • Good for coin, jewellery and relic hunting[/*]
  • Doesn't handle highly minderalised ground so well, i.e. hot rocks as well as salt water[/*]
  • Average ground coverage so you will need to overlap quite a bit[/*]

Double D (DD) searchcoil
  • Good for coin, jewellery, relic and prospecting[/*]
  • Good for highly mineralised ground and trashy areas due to there narrow detection field[/*]
  • Good target separation[/*]
  • Good ground coverage, minimal overlapping required[/*]
  • Cant really think of any cons for DD searchcoils[/*]

Monoloop searchcoil
  • Good for coin, jewellery, relic and prospecting[/*]
  • Greater depth penetration over a DD coil of the same size[/*]
  • Good ground coverage, medium overlapping required.[/*]
  • Difficult to ground balance in highly mineralised ground so can be noisy in certain conditions[/*]

The above information is a combination of my own personal experience and ongoing research.

Take a look at this diagram that shows the difference in detection fields between, concentric, double-d and mono searchcoils.
29qdt00.jpg
9g8om0.jpg
2n6r7zn.jpg

hi all members,i was wundering if anyone has any information(like maps)on the area around gin gin,i have had a scout around there and saw quartz reefs beside the track i was on,but i think the best area is just north -west of gin gin,any help? bulldog(not good with the IRTM thing)

hi Everyone,

im located in noosa and am keen in joining any clubs or getting together with others to have some fun and search around, i am very new to this and iv got a x-terra 505... also iv only been searching on beaches around the area where else on the sunshine coast can you go to pick up any old coins etc... :cool:

thanks for any help jamie

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but -----.

Are some members on this forum also members of the above? How long have they been operating? Is it a legitimate site? Would like to know more about it? Do they hire out detectors to members?

Yes legitimate site.
Yes few members here are members there including myself.
No detector hire but you can contact Bruce who does prospecting lessons and will rent you detector for a day.
Pm'd you his mobile number

Hi newbie my name is John from Beerwah I also very new at this and also looking for someone to tag alone with to learn, interested just let me know .Thanks mate hear from you soon

Greetings

A little further to the South than most of you people being in Logan City. New to the forums, been detecting for 3 years but not what you could call seriously. I'd be open to anyone in my area looking for a detecting companion. If you're looking for an expert teacher you'll be dassapointed though :p

Latest posts