Highbanker build

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I apologise in advance for asking a question I'm sure has already been covered. I've searched the site and read multiple posts but think I'm more confused than than before!

I want to build a highbanker to keep at my house and bring pay dirt in to process later.

I have plenty of alloy sheeting and an alloy welder and will get a mate to fold the sheeting for me.

My uneducated question is: what sluice matting should I use? I presume this is a very open ended question depending on the material to be processed?

This is just going to be used for the occasional weekend fun and for me building something is half the fun. I live in SA and we have lots of clay based soils so I presume that will help to dictate the type of matting required?

I've looked at fine rib matting, vortex dream mat, gold hog, grass carpet, miners moss and every ebay version on the market...

They all claim to be the best but I have no idea what one to use.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Ash.

Be careful of the eBay ones. Sometimes they are much much smaller than they look in the pictures and you would be better panning. I am not the best person to ask about aluminium builds but there are some talented people on this forum that make some awesome gear in that material. If its clay you will have to puddle it up before chucking it into any sluice. Good luck

Sorry cant private message you yet. I am in SA too, not far from Adelaide. If you are stuck for a bit of gear you can borrow this if you want. It was set up as a high banker but now does not have a pump anymore and never had a classifier.
1553562650_44410498-9c4c-4c8e-a72f-20d7d9cbd03d.jpg
ignore the flower. Long story....

Forgetting the polotics of where you live etc.
Personally I would run a simple baffled fluid bed arrangement at the top firstly. Cat walk mesh, 16mm for smaller units, or the 22mm high mesh for larger.
Dream vortex mat after.
Firstly decide the width of the dream mat, 6, 8, 10 or 12" etc
Then once you have it, give it your folder friend, 300mm is not exactly 12"s hey. So he can make a snug fit. Folded 1 to 2mm undersized is better than 2mm over folded.
I have made several units over a few years, and a lot of things need to be taken into consideration with a good friendly unit.
Large and cumbersome can be annoying after a while.
My next will be an 8" for sure.
But with a longer hopper, 90% the length of the base.
I find 1.6mm alloy to be adequate.
I also run a twin classifier up top in the hopper, and find it has major benfits.
Tips from some earlier builds.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=357219#p357219
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=23349

Goldfreak said:
Sorry cant private message you yet. I am in SA too, not far from Adelaide. If you are stuck for a bit of gear you can borrow this if you want. It was set up as a high banker but now does not have a pump anymore and never had a classifier.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/10082/1553562650_44410498-9c4c-4c8e-a72f-20d7d9cbd03d.jpg ignore the flower. Long story....

Wow, very generous offer, thank you. I think I'll persevere and build one though as I'm looking forward to the challenge.

I had no idea they were banned in NSW. I better check the legalities of my state before going any further.

Cheers for all the advice, I greatly appreciate it.

Ash.

Latest posts