New Tyres On The Way

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just had to order a new set of Tyres for the yearly Roadworthy due to the fact when I bought the Truck the roadworthy was worth the paper it was written on and due to a few faults I took the truck off the road until it was all fixed, Anyways I just ordered a set of 5 of TOTO Open Country M/T's.

J.

1553507859_toyo-opencountrymt.jpg

1553507899_toyo_open-country-mt.jpg

There are a few issues with sidewall cracking in those tyres.... just watch your off-road pressures.... They may work out ok for you over there with cooler temps tho......

LW.....

LoneWolf said:
There are a few issues with sidewall cracking in those tyres.... just watch your off-road pressures.... They may work out ok for you over there with cooler temps tho......

LW.....

Thanks LW, Yeah had heard a few things good and bad, but some one on YT said they had tough side walsl which as you say in hot climes could be an issue, The Roads over here a nothing like the Roads in Aus, and there is more chance in the rubber freezing than anything else,

I thought of Cooper M/T's but they were like about 1 and a half times the price and few folks here said they had troubles with them, So then I looked for BFG's and they were like Twice the price, and I got these for about $841.19c for a set of 5 which is not too bad and if I get a year or Two out of them then fair enough Ay,

J

That you will, like all tyres, look after them, rotate them often and they will look after you.... That's a really good price.... Close to $250ea here... For the extra $15 I went BFG Ko2's....

LW....

LoneWolf said:
That you will, like all tyres, look after them, rotate them often and they will look after you.... That's a really good price.... Close to $250ea here... For the extra $15 I went BFG Ko2's....

LW....

Well the cheapest 245/75/16 BFG Km3's I could find was $315.04 X 5 = $1575.15c, That's a bit steep for my wallet Ay, I was going to go with 33"x 12.50 x 16 but then I was thinking about selling the Truck later in the year and maybe getting a motor home if funds work out or maybe a caravan but if I go with the caravan Idea I won't want to lift the truck too high because of hitching up the caravan, so until I know which way I'm going I thought slightly bigger Tyres than normal would do for now,

J.

For a fair few years Ive been running mainly BFG A/T's as 'all-rounders' but I'm currently 'trialling' a set of Toyo Open Country A/T's.
I have seen plenty of cases over the years of differing tyre brands cracking/splitting in the side walls mainly due to running too high speed on low pressures. I know more than a couple of guys who do this, by lowering pressures to around 20psi for a beach area, then going out onto a gravel road to another area & driving at speeds around 80kph on 20psi. Over not too much time this damages the sidewall, even if driven on soft sand/beach at those speeds.
Ive only done about 25,000km on these tyres so far since last September, & that's been a combination of long bitumen highway treks, rough goldfields gravel roads & beach/dune driving. no sign of any cracking in these as yet, but I don't do 80kph on 20psi.
verdict on the A/T so far, great on rough gravel/dirt roads, fair on highway, not so great in deep sand. No chunks missing after long runs on very rough/stony gravel roads.
They have very high straight sidewalls with little shoulder protection, which wouldn't be good in offroad areas where sharp stakes are likely.
Other than that they are overall fairly good, wearing well, & Im happy with the quality, & I might try the M/Ts this winter on my 'offroad wheels'. These currently have Mickey Thompson M/T's which are a very tough tyre & surprising capable in soft sand, but need replacing very soon.

Ded Driver said:
For a fair few years Ive been running mainly BFG A/T's as 'all-rounders' but I'm currently 'trialling' a set of Toyo Open Country A/T's.
I have seen plenty of cases over the years of differing tyre brands cracking/splitting in the side walls mainly due to running too high speed on low pressures. I know more than a couple of guys who do this, by lowering pressures to around 20psi for a beach area, then going out onto a gravel road to another area & driving at speeds around 80kph on 20psi. Over not too much time this damages the sidewall, even if driven on soft sand/beach at those speeds.
Ive only done about 25,000km on these tyres so far since last September, & that's been a combination of long bitumen highway treks, rough goldfields gravel roads & beach/dune driving. no sign of any cracking in these as yet, but I don't do 80kph on 20psi.
verdict on the A/T so far, great on rough gravel/dirt roads, fair on highway, not so great in deep sand. No chunks missing after long runs on very rough/stony gravel roads.
They have very high straight sidewalls with little shoulder protection, which wouldn't be good in offroad areas where sharp stakes are likely.
Other than that they are overall fairly good, wearing well, & Im happy with the quality, & I might try the M/Ts this winter on my 'offroad wheels'. These currently have Mickey Thompson M/T's which are a very tough tyre & surprising capable in soft sand, but need replacing very soon.

Sounds good DD, In this video below the guy got 63,000 miles out of his last set of Toyo M/T's which is just over 101000 K's which is good I reckon for such an aggressive Tyre Ay, I like the side wall protection too, and the Tread pattern looks like the Older Cooper Pattern which worked quite well, both on road and off it,

J.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=japmEUn6aNI

Well these Tyres turned up after a mess up with the shipping company, I kept the same width but went a fraction taller, One major thing I am really pleased about is How tough they are,

Upon further Inspection on the sidewall it says they are 10 Ply Tyres and have a 120/P rating, @1380kgs each So they should more than do the Job. Happy Days :Y: :power:

Only 3 ply sidewalls though, but probably fine over there in the rolling green meadows :D

madtuna said:
Only 3 ply sidewalls though, but probably fine over there in the rolling green meadows :D

Don't know about that but the sidewalls are stiff as a board and they weigh 24.8kgs / 54.6Lbs each baring in mind that they are only just bigger/Taller than the standard tyres because I did not want to knock the speedo too far out or have to Re-Gear both Diff's.

Like any Country the Old Country has some mega serious granite and shale roads that are just as tough as anywhere else in the world, Getting them to fix the potholes is a major problem here so a sturdy Tyre would be put to good use over here, There are roads over here where going 5Kph is a major problem,

These Tyres are way tougher than the set of Coopers I had,

Jaros said:
Just get an on screen display gps unit-it gives your speed as well.

Yeah Jaros Good Idea thanks for that, I was going to get 235/85/16 that would of lifted it a bit and they work out to be about 32"+ high and the Standard Tyres are 29.5" So to avoid any Diff mods I went with 245/75/16 which puts them between 30.5 to 31".

The Tyres that are on there are a right ole mix and match with BFG Mk 1 All-Terrain Copies on the back and the Drivers front is a new-ish road pattern and the Left front is similar but with a worn edge due to the wheel baring needing adjustment, The 2 Rears and the Spare have slow leaks from surface cracks but the person who sold it to me was an ebay car dealer and it was supplied with a bent Road Worthy so I have had to fix other stuff to get it ready for the road, I have started it a couple of times a week since I got it but It was not til I got it home that I found all the Issues,

It runs good and if I take it easy it does about 40mpg and it has only done 81600 miles which is 131,294k's.

Jaros said:
I have found that the on screen display gets looked at more than the cars speedo. Takes a bit of getting used to. :)

yeah It might take some getting use to but I agree with you because they are much more accurate that most vehicle speedos, NASA invests billions of Dollars in to the GPS network so I don't see how they can be far wrong unless the US is invading somewhere and Only then does the US offset the satellite settings, and even then they just tell you to turn too soon or too late.

J.

Don't know what you call them there but here it is called a Mitsubishi Shogun Sport.

Rockhunter62 said:
Hi RR,

I must have missed a bit somewhere. What vehicle is it you have?

Cheers

Doug

1553813144_ss2c.jpg

1553813357_ss1.jpg

Jaros said:
Probably a Pajero here due to the meaning of the word Pajero(self lovin sort of guy).

Hopefully those Tyres will fill out those wheel arches a bit better, I could of gone with 32+ but then you are bordering on lift kits and the like which I don't mind But I am not sure if I am going to hang on to it for more than a couple of years Due to the fact that the Government over here told everyone to buy Diesels vehicle to become GREEN with the planet then someone told them that Diesels are bad and in 2021 in this area they are going to bring in a congestion charge where it will cost me $20.00 a day to drive in some areas and that's not including the $550.00 per year Rego plus compulsory Insurance which has just cost me $1057.35c plus the road worthy every year which is another $100 per year for any vehicle older than 3 years old, So that's costing $1707.35 per year just to be able to leave it out side on the road other wise if you don't pay they will take your truck and Crush It.

I had to stop working in the city because of them because it was costing me $438.92 per week X 4 which $1755.70c per month before I even earnt 01c profit, Times that by 50 weeks of the year and it was costing me $21946.25 just for the right to go to work, In total with the Rego and insurance etc is a total of 23653.60 not including the cost of Diesel for the year either. And Diesel here at the moment cost $2.48c per litre.

J.

Latest posts