Gold exploration in the Hunter Valley

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One for the Hunter guys ;)

I recently come across an interesting article posted on Mining Australia (July 2011). It's about a gold exploration company that had applied for 14 licenses to explore areas throughout the Hunter Valley for possible gold mining. The company has applications in the Hunter around Singleton as well as near Tamworth. I wonder if they got the green light?

Now the article has got me thinking. I have lived in the Hunter for over 20 years and haven't heard of a single gold nugget being found in the area, maybe they're chasing deep veins but surely someone would have stumbled across at least one given all the commercial development and coal mining carried out over the last couple of decades?

Anyway they must know something as I'm sure they wouldn't be doing it otherwise. I really hope they find gold in the Hunter :D

Here's the full article http://www.miningaustralia.com.au/news/gold-mining-fears-in-the-hunter-valley

Start panning your local creeks or you already tried?

I carry a pan in the ute so anytime I come accross a creek of interest I'm armed & ready to go

Ag Man, I think I will have to start carrying a pan but so far I've attempted to pan one spot of one creek as I don't live in a gold bearing area (well maybe I do :D), and Pete no I didn't know that maybe we'll have to organise a road trip one day.

My father in law has part of whats called the "old" hunter river running through his property, its bone dry of course and hes been asking me to come and check it out with him for a while now, I didn't see much point but I might have to go check it out now ;)

You won't know 'till you try hey.

I've dug around the inlaws farm with a creek running thru it with no results. Thought I try coz not far away(5kms?) gold is found.

Shouldn't take to much to turn your sluice into a recirculating sluice google E Z sluice seen something on it last night.
That way you won't need to carry much water couple of 20L buckets.
12v Boat bilge pump easy to do.

Pete, the Hunter doesn't flow anywhere near Sandy Hollow but the goulbourn does. I've been itching to get out there for a while now so it would be good if you could clarify weather it was in the hunter or the goulbourn

Baahahah sorry just realised what I did :8 I was on the phone talking to someone about the Bylong Valley and I said you have to turn of just before Sandy Hollow and typed it as I was thinking about it, opps :rolleyes: I ment to say Jerrys Plains ;)

righto, got a rough idea where they may have been, might check it out

JerrysPlains001_zpsc7501ae1.jpg

where did you find this map at, theres some info on the left of the map that i could use :)

Gold has been found around Dungog and there was plenty of gold at Stewarts Brook and Moonan Brook. Even claims that it's been panned up in minute quantities from under Luskintyre bridge. However if you look at the metallogenic maps shoing the underlying material it's obvious we are not going to get very much here in the Hunter. Ancient icesheet melts have carved the Hunter Valley out of the sediments and anything as heavy as gold it down way deeper than the coal seams.

I am afraid the nearest accessible gold for us is Nundle, Mudgee, Bathurst, Coffs, and Barrington Tops.

I have been chasing the mythical Alluvial Gold in the Hunter.

Panned Kerripit River near Rawdon Vale. 0 Gold only black sand.

Panned Lawlers Creek near Monkerai. 0 Gold only black sand.

Yet to find a single speck. Will try high up in the hills another day!

Maybe check the El documents in Digs. When applications are made, the specific ore that they are chasing maybe one of fifty listed on the EL application. The easiest method is locate the holder, then research them as to what ore or ores are there primary business. I'm not sure about the legality of the the issue these days or if it still exists, but a while back if your application was granted and say, you listed copper only, if you found uranium and Gold in the same deposit there were ownership right issues on the ores not supported in the Exploration License, so in general when an application was made, ores with a proability of discovery under the licenses area, no matter how remote were listed.

Hope that makes sense.

John

Retirement Stone said:
I have been chasing the mythical Alluvial Gold in the Hunter.

Panned Kerripit River near Rawdon Vale. 0 Gold only black sand.

Panned Lawlers Creek near Monkerai. 0 Gold only black sand.

Yet to find a single speck. Will try high up in the hills another day!

I can back up the info on Kerripit River....I was excited to try that river out....but not a single speck.
That was my first trip out in over 10 years.
Copeland creek gave a few specks on the way home...however water was limited to a couple of muddy puddles.

Latest posts