4WD Spotlights

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yesterday my new yellow LED lights arrived (colour temp 3000K). went outside in the dark last night & stuck one across the battery & was more than happy.
I bought 4 of these 5" LED lights. It says 'Flood Light' but it does actually have a reasonable horizontal band, so I reckon these are going to make very good fog lights.
I was very happy that the specifications listed the current draw (2.1A @12V) instead of a fake Wattage that when you measure the current draw you find isn't real power drawn. So these lights are approx 25W each, & I can run them in pairs thru twin 10A relays.
1554514507_yellow_5in_led_light_bar_lowres.jpg

Jaros said:
What does the "colour temp" mean ? :(
good fog lights should be somewhere between 2200 -3500K
white lights are typically in the 5000 to 6500K
The higher the number the more towards the blue/ultraviolet, lower number is towards yellow. you might have noticed some cars on the road have a faint blue/purple hue at certain angles ... these are usually 6500 or some are around 7000K
The 'K' as its an equivalent to temperature in degrees Kelvin (K is a measure above absolute zero).
This technique is/was traditionally used in blast furnaces to measure the internal temperature with the light viewed thru a quartz pothole.
this site gives a bit of a guide also http://www.westinghouselighting.com/color-temperature.aspx

Might have to do some mods/additions to the bulbar to mount all 4.
can possibly relocate the park/indicator (or use 2 separate ones somewhere)
the swept back section underneath is a good location for a fog light, but will need some work to strengthen it if I cut a hole in it.
1554517406_yellow_5in_led_light_bar_view_lowres.jpg

Ded Driver said:
Might have to do some mods/additions to the bulbar to mount all 4.
can possibly relocate the park/indicator (or use 2 separate ones somewhere)
the swept back section underneath is a good location for a fog light, but will need some work to strengthen it if I cut a hole in it.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...7406_yellow_5in_led_light_bar_view_lowres.jpg

Cool Well done so you got em then, WTG,

How are they when you are driving at night, Any good ?? :Y: :Y:

J.

hahaha bit premature there RR
I only just received them yesty. I will let you know later during winter/spring.
Once mounted I will upload a night pic to show the lighting.
I think Im going to have to take the bar off to modify/strengthen it a bit & add mount brackets inside it.
(Its Aluminium & Im only just learning to weld Ali :argh:
I have 3200K yellow globes for the headlights but they are too high up for best position & they annoy other drivers, so I probably wont use them anymore.

Ded Driver said:
hahaha bit premature there RR
I only just received them yesty. I will let you know later during winter/spring.
Once mounted I will upload a night pic to show the lighting.
I think Im going to have to take the bar off to modify/strengthen it a bit & add mount brackets inside it.
(Its Aluminium & Im only just learning to weld Ali :argh:
I have 3200K yellow globes for the headlights but they are too high up for best position & they annoy other drivers, so I probably wont use them anymore.

They look really good, My Truck has white light built in to the Bumper but I quite like the look of those ones you get there, might have to grab a couple of pairs me self,

Did you get them from that Site in China or were they local,

J.

RR, i got the ones in my post #31 above. They were local stock (,Melbourne, but im on West Coast).
Theses are IP68 waterproof (waterproof submersible)
Beware of others that are very similar but only IP67 ... Splash proof
These are apparently genuine Cree LED's too.
They are very solid & well made so i dont think these are fakes.

Jaros said:
OFF Topic: You know every time I send an Email or post especially cross country or across the world it always amazes me at the speed of communications these days considering the speed of snail mail....just amazes me.
funny thing is Jaros, it seems post on the East takes around same time for delivery as receiving it here in WA.
with Express post ive received stuff 3 days after ordering, & im in country WA! :eek:
regular parcel post is usually around 5-7 business days ex east. :Y:
seems strange they cant get stuff delivered in 3 days up n down the east coast. :N:

Jaros said:
Thanks Ded. It has a lot of tech behind it and all I new was that the yellow in fog lights was to aim under to the fog reduce the reflected light which white light does in fog.
Thanks, well done. :)
Jaros, to explain a bit more without getting too technical in the physics behind it,
Light wavelengths closer to the red/infrared end of the spectrum penetrates better due to less diffraction in the water droplets in the air.
Light wavelengths closer to the blue/near ultraviolet end diffract much more. this is the reason the ocean & sky look blue. they both diffract the light & reflect each other.
This phenomenon is also the reason emergency vehicles have both blue & red lights. The red penetrates further, & the blue diffracts & reflects off stuff. They are usually configured to flash one after the other. Also, some peoples eyesight is slightly more sensitive to one end of the spectrum than the other. For example, I have an issue where I find the contrast hard to read with red on black in small print.
This issue with red contrast is common, & one of the reasons why fog lights are generally yellow to amber, because most people have less problem with contrast in yellow & thus these fog lights appear better, even tho pure red will actually penetrate better.
That's why tail & brake lights are red, for best penetration in rain, fog, misty conditions.
(& you aren't permitted to have red lights facing forward)
Hope that helps without frying brain cells ;)

know some blokes that spend 1000s on spotlights,i dont get it,first thing thats gonna get smacked to bits in the bush or on the road,i went 7 ebay hids on my rig,$85 delivered with a loom,there no megatough arb dog nuclear burning landing lights and ya dont get a sticker with them but i reckon there good for the $$$.quite good actually....

Goldchaser1 said:
know some blokes that spend 1000s on spotlights,i dont get it,first thing thats gonna get smacked to bits in the bush or on the road,i went 7 ebay hids on my rig,$85 delivered with a loom,there no megatough arb dog nuclear burning landing lights and ya dont get a sticker with them but i reckon there good for the $$$.quite good actually....
Have to agree. I had 9" Lightforce spotties fitted on mine from when I got it & hit a roo - it barely marked the bar but both lights were smashed to bits + broke off the mounts hanging by the wires. Not repairable in any way.
Priced them to replace :eek:
Now got the Kings 7" Illuminators & find them :Y: for the price.

Goldchaser1 said:

Im equally amazed that some blokes spend upwards of $100,000 on their rig and skimp on spotlights. The point is, good quality lights will help to prevent that collision in the first place. And Murphys law is that the cheap lights will fail when you need them most. Like most things in life, quality usually wins out it the long run.

mbasko said:
Goldchaser1 said:
Have to agree. I had 9" Lightforce spotties fitted on mine from when I got it & hit a roo - it barely marked the bar but both lights were smashed to bits + broke off the mounts hanging by the wires. Not repairable in any way.
Priced them to replace :eek:
Now got the Kings 7" Illuminators & find them :Y: for the price.

heard there ok to,they say the 9 are real good.....

ChrisD said:
Goldchaser1 said:

Im equally amazed that some blokes spend upwards of $100,000 on their rig and skimp on spotlights. The point is, good quality lights will help to prevent that collision in the first place. And Murphys law is that the cheap lights will fail when you need them most. Like most things in life, quality usually wins out it the long run.

reality is its not usually the roos you see in the distance thats the problem,its the ones that shoot out from the side ive found,no lights help with them,best to be parked up at night in the outback anyway,or follow a road train,big bucks sitting on my bullbar,no thanks.....

Have a look at 4wdsupacentre, I have their lightbar and wiring harness, brilliant. I recently saw a bloke with their 9inch spotties and they are very impressive for the price. The wiring harness makes it very simple to wire up without splicing wires.

Latest posts