4WD Spotlights

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm using Lightforce HTX similar to OzzieAu, again they come at a price. Dual switch 1 for LED flood (20 globes) on the flat upto 500mt coverage 2nd switch for HID upto 1.7km coverage on flat. All up with wiring loom around $1700.00 not including installation. Yes there insured and would find it hard to use anything else, their the bee's knees :power:

I do a LOT of night driving & really good lighting reduces fatigue & tiredness. A high amount of light tricks the brain into believing its daytime & reduces the tendency to get sleepy. Note, 'reduces' not prevents. (when tired pullover & power nap)
I run good quality headlight globes in 65W +130 (130% output over std), plus a 15" lightbar as 'high beam infill'
Then I have twin (spot/flood) 130W Halogen lights mounted down low, mainly used in closer regional areas where I have to dip up/down a fair bit as they tolerate it better than HID.
Then I have the big old style IPF twins (spot/flood) with 55W HID. Due to the high polish reflectors in these older style they have an effective illumination over 1km & light up any reflective stuff out to 2km. I have measured this.
These HID globes are now over 5yrs old & getting slightly slower & duller so are due for replacement ... with 75W HID
The only downside with powerful HIDs is you have to be on the ball & quick to dip. Reflectors on the white posts on the side of the road can look like car headlights @750m, so when a car does come around a corner you can easily not realise for a couple of seconds.
And as for the big reflective road signs :awful: dip or burn your eyes out :cool:

I had great results with the IPF Super Off Roader 900's with 100w bulbs in them, They would light up the place even in bad rain and on clear nights I could just make out trees at over a mile away, There is no way would I spend all that dough on a set of ARB lights or any other fantasy priced lights,

Back In the 80's I tested the IPF 900 and the IPF 800's for a company in Australia pitching them against the Cibie Super Oscars and the Hella Rallye 2000's But the Hella was the whitest almost Blue light but the IPF Super Off Roaders had the best focussed long range Driving Beam, Not spread out too much but not too tight either, Even to this day I would still go with them after what I put them through not to mention the worst road I have ever driven on to this day and they survived easily.

J.

due to wild life running into me whilst driving down a designated vehicle corridors i use kings 9 inch with 32 inch light bar and the cost is nt so great with loom etc only couple hundred in at supra 4wd store,

I have a pair of 9" LED lights set into the bull bar and a 23" led lightbar on the roofbar .9" are amazing lightbar superb- daylight in front of me.
Just remember to have them wired in correctly 9" that is via hi-beam and relay otherwise boys in blue not happy.

RM Outback said:
I'm using Lightforce HTX similar to OzzieAu, again they come at a price. Dual switch 1 for LED flood (20 globes) on the flat upto 500mt coverage 2nd switch for HID upto 1.7km coverage on flat. All up with wiring loom around $1700.00 not including installation. Yes there insured and would find it hard to use anything else, their the bee's knees :power:

X2 for the HTX, brilliant all rounder, but at a price. Love the fact I can have just LED for track work and both LED/HID for the highways, all in the one light.

I have Lightforce Genesis HID. I upgraded them a few years back as they were originally Xenon globes and bought before LED were the thing.

Given the investment already, SWMBO won't go spending anymore, lol.

But, they work well and have for over 8 years, so "if it aint broke don't fix it". :)

Yes I have the Lightforce HTX they are pricey but if on the highway with lots of traffic just have the Leds on but when out back the combo of led and HID is like have the sun on your bull bar.

Jaros said:
I have a pair of 9" LED lights set into the bull bar and a 23" led lightbar on the roofbar .9" are amazing lightbar superb- daylight in front of me.
Just remember to have them wired in correctly 9" that is via hi-beam and relay otherwise boys in blue not happy.

Just went down the docs and tried out the lights against a shop window--di duhhhh!!! No Spotties working. Give me something to do???!!! but will have to wait till after my op next Friday where they will replace the control unit inside my back with a new one so that it will start scrambling the pain messages to my brain.
Then more bloody rest--don't do much!! :(

I have a pair of the 7 inch Comets and they are quite good. Im happy with them for the price. Good distance and good white light. Hope that is helpful. Rick

Ridge Runner said:
I had great results with the IPF Super Off Roader 900's with 100w bulbs in them, They would light up the place even in bad rain and on clear nights I could just make out trees at over a mile away, There is no way would I spend all that dough on a set of ARB lights or any other fantasy priced lights,

Back In the 80's I tested the IPF 900 and the IPF 800's for a company in Australia pitching them against the Cibie Super Oscars and the Hella Rallye 2000's But the Hella was the whitest almost Blue light but the IPF Super Off Roaders had the best focussed long range Driving Beam, Not spread out too much but not too tight either, Even to this day I would still go with them after what I put them through not to mention the worst road I have ever driven on to this day and they survived easily.
RR those old IPFs with the high polish reflectors are awesome. The newer 900XS isnt near as good. chuck a 55 or 75W HID conversion in them & they will be about to the best longest range light you can get

DED

I can remember years ago in outback NSW. I was driving an old Cruiser SWB with a couple of bull lights mounted on top of the bullbar and had 130/65w headlights. There was a semi coming towards me and we could both see each other for miles. We both crested a rise each and dropped to low beam and met at the bottom near a creek. In that dark 30 seconds or so all we could see was a mob of pigs getting thrown everywhere. We both survived but not many of the pigs did.

So just remember folks that it is all well and good to have big bright spotties but when you go back down to low beam it will take your eyes a while to adjust to the darker situation.

Cheers

Doug

Thanks for the input so far everyone.
I know they say you get what you pay for but I do want to keep this under the 1k mark.

The ones I posted a link to in my first post were looking good as I was quoted about $750.

I think I have another problem though. I've been looking into the Vic legalities of mounting these and as I only have a puny nudge bar and not a bull bar I may have to go for either something smaller or an oblong shape one.
Apparently the light should not come above your bonnet line otherwise they are not legal.
Funnily enough the two places I got a quote from did not mention anything about this.

I have a 2014 Triton BTW.

Think I'll keep researching a bit more. Would be a pain to get them then get pulled over cause they are not legal.

Hard Luck said:
Thanks for the input so far everyone.
I know they say you get what you pay for but I do want to keep this under the 1k mark.

The ones I posted a link to in my first post were looking good as I was quoted about $750.

I think I have another problem though. I've been looking into the Vic legalities of mounting these and as I only have a puny nudge bar and not a bull bar I may have to go for either something smaller or an oblong shape one.
Apparently the light should not come above your bonnet line otherwise they are not legal.
Funnily enough the two places I got a quote from did not mention anything about this.

I have a 2014 Triton BTW.

Think I'll keep researching a bit more. Would be a pain to get them then get pulled over cause they are not legal.

Yes HL, many people don't care about what is legal or not, they just want to have the best looking 4x4 around with all the added bling. :N:

Cheers

Doug

Ded Driver said:
Ridge Runner said:

RR those old IPFs with the high polish reflectors are awesome. The newer 900XS isnt near as good. chuck a 55 or 75W HID conversion in them & they will be about to the best longest range light you can get

DED

Cool, never tried HID's thanks for that,

I have seen the older type still for sale here and they now do the normal long rang model and the clear lens Spot version with 130w bulbs in, I might check em out and if they are like the old ones I might grab a couple of pairs Not as cheap as I remember though LOL,

back in 1984 they were $57.00 each :lol: :lol: Now they are sold in pairs/kit at about $380.00 to about $450.00 :( :awful: :brokenh:

There were 2 pros and 1 con with the HID upgrade I did.

The only con was the cost but the best price I got was from Autoelecau and well worth it.

Pro 1 - The brightness and distance improvements were very noticeable and no regrets.

Pro 2 - The amperage load was halved. So when night driving and towing the caravan drawing 13-14 amps for its fridge, plus the external van lighting plus the Auxilliary being charged from a BCDC, it was good to reduce the alternator load.:)