Fosterville - incredible coarse gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have you seen photos of the incredible gold coming out of Fosterville in Victoria (making it about the highest grade producer in the country)?
1552713417_klgold-fosterville-vg.jpg

1552713592_fosterville1-1680x600.jpg

That certainly is nice Gold. Is the Picture of a drill core or sliced specimen? What is the average grade they are on and tonnage per month? :pickshovel:

I reckon it'd be close NE met a young lady who worked there prior to Christmas and the numbers she quoted were large as far as gold recovery on a monthly basis. Not worth me trying to quote numbers I don't recall but it was many thousands of ounces.

jethro said:
That certainly is nice Gold. Is the Picture of a drill core or sliced specimen? What is the average grade they are on and tonnage per month? :pickshovel:
Drill core (cut in half). It is a large-tonnage producer that averaged 25g/t gold in 2018 but should be higher this year (more to the point, it will produce a billion dollars worth of gold in 2019 alone). The richest ore shoot, the Swan, averages 59 g/t gold (it contains around 532,000 ounces on its own).

Northeast said:
I had been told that it was the richest producing gold mine in the world at the present time (about 8 months ago). Would that be accurate?
Possibly. Fosterville and Costerfield in Victoria were the two highest grade producers in Australia for the first quarter last year (I have not checked since - Fosterville grade has increased considerably since then).

This was taken from the web site ; OVERVIEW
The Fosterville Mine is a high-grade, low cost underground gold mine, located 20km from the city of Bendigo in the State of Victoria, Australia. The Fosterville Mine features growing gold production at increasingly high grades, as well as extensive in-mine and district scale exploration potential.

Fosterville commenced operation in 2005 and, during its initial years, produced gold from near-surface, low-grade mineralization. A major inflection point was achieved in 2015 with the discovery of the Eagle zone, containing high-grade visible-gold bearing mineralization, which resulted in a significant improvement in the mine's overall Mineral Reserve grade, production profile and unit cost performance. In 2016, exploration work documented similar visible-gold bearing zones at depth in the Harrier zone. Additional exploration progress early in 2017 resulted in new Mineral Reserve and Mineral Resource estimate for the operation being released as at June 30, 2017, which more than doubled underground reserves to 1.03 million ounces (1,790,000 tonnes) and increased the average underground reserve grade estimate by 83% to 17.9 g/t Au. The significant increase in Fosterville Mineral Reserves was supported by down-plunge extensions of the high-grade, visible gold-bearing Lower Phoenix Gold System. In particular, the Swan Zone (previously known as Lower Phoenix Footwall) contributed 532,000 ounces at an average grade of 58.8 g/t Au (281,000 tonnes) to the updated Mineral Reserve estimate.

With continued exploration success over the remainder of 2017, an additional Mineral Reserve and Mineral Resource estimate was released as at December 31, 2017, with Mineral Reserves increasing another 65% from the June 30, 2017 estimate to 1.70 million ounces (2,290,000 tonnes) at an average grade of 23.1 g/t Au, including 1.16 million ounces (588,000 tonnes) of Mineral Reserves in the Swan Zone at an average grade of 61.2 g/t Au. The operation also hosts a large base of Mineral Reserves, including 2.15 million ounces (13,900,000 tonnes) of Measured and Indicated Resources at an average grade of 4.8 g/t Au, and Inferred Mineral Resources of 1.90 million ounces (8,280,000 tonnes) at an average grade of 7.1 g/t Au.

The mine is located in an area with well-developed infrastructure and is accessible by paved roads. Fostervilles ore is processed at the mines +830,000 tonnes per year mill. :)

Ramelius Resources, had the highest drill core last year from Mt Magnet operations, over a 1000g to the ton. They are my bet this year now a 210,000 to 230,000 oz pa producer. Got on at 48c now 71c in 3 months. Not financial advice either just my opinion. Cheers Noel. :perfect:

pinfire opals said:
Ramelius Resources, had the highest drill core last year from Mt Magnet operations, over a 1000g to the ton. They are my bet this year now a 210,000 to 230,000 oz pa producer. Got on at 48c now 71c in 3 months. Not financial advice either just my opinion. Cheers Noel. :perfect:
Yes - but of course it is average grade not core intersections that matter - Fosterville have many intersections above that (but that is not meant as a negative comment about Ramelius). Fosterville is already a 600,000 oz pa producer at the high average grade mentioned. Here's to even more high-grade mines!

Well said GR, Gold Rd and Goldfields 6 million oz mine comes on line this quarter, Cheers to more big high grade mines :beer: . Noel. :)

Oh yeah the old bellevue mine in WA, run by Bellevue Gold is shaping up to be a big deposit as well, been on them for a few weeks too :Y:

goldierocks said:
pinfire opals said:
Yes - but of course it is average grade not core intersections that matter - Fosterville have many intersections above that (but that is not meant as a negative comment about Ramelius). Fosterville is already a 600,000 oz pa producer at the high average grade mentioned. Here's to even more high-grade mines!

Yeah fosterville is impressive , I hold RMS too and have traded it since around 2002 :p

I recall one of their early scrapes with a digger , they took around a 4 foot cut and picked up 11 kg in 2 hours.....

This does raise the question then since it's close to the Campaspe river. Would gold be in that river? Can us mere mortals have a chance close by?

Also Axe creek is just to the south of the mine

Icarusvonlubey said:
This does raise the question then since it's close to the Campaspe river. Would gold be in that river? Can us mere mortals have a chance close by?

I know a couple of staff at Fossy who detect and highbank most weekends . They dig like demons so I Reckon you would be about 4 years too late if there was any gold there .

CreviceSucker said:
Icarusvonlubey said:

I know a couple of staff at Fossy who detect and highbank most weekends . They dig like demons so I Reckon you would be about 4 years too late if there was any gold there .
I don't know if it is permitted there, but I suspect that it would not be a great place to prospect. Gold at shallow depths is mostly very fine grained (a few micron). I have not looked in the river bed, but it is mostly running through basalt flows, which tend to give a thick muddy sediment in the river. I do know that the old-timers never had much luck with alluvial gold there.

My family has a property down the road, right near where they are doing the electromagnetic flight scans. I dream of the day good gold is found in the area...