What Are Your Best Finds?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably my most interesting find. World War 1 or pre WW1 British Cavalry Breast Plate. Its off the saddlery on the chest of a horse. Not the sort of thing you would expect to find in a paddock in country Victoria ;)

1552654093_a2bb31b0-53fa-43b1-b4f6-848bbaae8b51.jpg

About 10 years ago I was swinging a GP3500 at Red Flag out from Laverton, WA when I found this.

1552771815_img_2720.jpg

1552771838_img_2721.jpg

It had been there for a while, a lot of crusty muck on it and first thoughts were that I had found something rare and valuable, but not to be. It is a 1885 Mexican 8 reale coin, .903 silver and as common as the proverbial b/hole. The hole in the coin meant that somebody must have had it dangling off a chain or cord - who knows? It was an interesting find on a day when the nuggets were not so forthcoming.

Jeff

ctxkid said:
roy cobb said:
It is not the most valuable find but its up there as my best it is a James the first farthing dating is 1614 to 1625 not in great condition but nether would I at that age
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7284/1552767975_380487-medium.jpg
did you find that in Australia :eek: :eek:

Yes ctxkid
I found it in oz in an area that is from very early Australian occupation in the Hunter Valley was over the moon when I worked out what it was and its age I don't believe I will ever find and older coin in oz
Roy

Hi Snafu nice coin came from the old spanish piece of eight was a bit of a trade coin of the 19th century, can tell your coin was traded around asia with the small chinese chopmarks that was testing the coins purity a few of these were found on the german Emden wreck off WA
1552783866_emden.jpg

roy cobb said:
ctxkid said:
roy cobb said:
It is not the most valuable find but its up there as my best it is a James the first farthing dating is 1614 to 1625 not in great condition but nether would I at that age
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7284/1552767975_380487-medium.jpg
did you find that in Australia :eek: :eek:

Yes ctxkid
I found it in oz in an area that is from very early Australian occupation in the Hunter Valley was over the moon when I worked out what it was and its age I don't believe I will ever find and older coin in oz
Roy
pretty cool :cool:

1700's is rare :Y:

1600's i would have thought to be near impossible :(

you are a lucky duck ;)

indi said:
Hi Snafu nice coin came from the old spanish piece of eight was a bit of a trade coin of the 19th century, can tell your coin was traded around asia with the small chinese chopmarks that was testing the coins purity a few of these were found on the german Emden wreck off WAhttps://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/14416/1552783866_emden.jpg

Thanks for that info, Indi. I've never really been into old coins much, but after seeing some of the finds that are posted here on the forum I am having serious thoughts about buying a coin detector and getting into it. Thinking a nox, but still undecided.

Jeff

Latest posts