First Time Detecting In Years With Minelab Advantage

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are hitting targets you are going the right way indi and 5 cent is still better than 1 cent coin just keep swinging as that's the only way you will find any thing and what did you use ten years ago.
Roy

todays finds lots of scrap aluminium do i turn up the discrimination up or would i miss coins

1552472722_st_helens_metal_detector_finds.jpg

Indi... dig everything at first (unless your in a park or a really trashy area.)
Try to guess what it might be before you dig though, that will help you think more about everything. :perfect:

silver said:
Indi... dig everything at first (unless your in a park or a really trashy area.)
Try to guess what it might be before you dig though, that will help you think more about everything. :perfect:
thats what i do and it works soooooo well
bottle top
bottle top
bottle top
never missed one yet :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you get sick of digging junk, try passing a few coins under the coil to see how high the discrimination can be run before rejecting those coins. Usually I would discriminate out 5c and 10c coins if in a real junky area, and let the detector accept coins from 20c and upwards. Everyone has a different preference on how they run their detectors, just thought this might help out if getting frustrated.

Later on you can run lower discrimination if wanting to accept more lower conductivity targets to include things like gold jewellery.

more interested in the pre decimal coins so would a half penny cancel out before a 5cent would

No, the 5c will cancel out well before a half penny does. Also depends on how a coin sits in the ground, a half penny may come in a bit lower if sitting on edge vs flat in the ground.

If you can cancel out up to a 10c piece you should be fine for all predecimals and 20c upwards. Typical junk targets that you still may get include screw caps, alloy bottle caps, some ring pulls and general canslaw/whole drink cans.

Since your detector runs 5kHz, it should do well on the deeper high conductors (ie. silver/copper coins).

Latest posts