Introduce Yourself CTX 3030

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day from Toowoomba,

At 66 and retired I've just bought my first detector, a CTX. Up until this point my interests have been always outdoors, hunting and shooting and fishing both salt and fresh. For the past 10 years we've been volunteering with an Aboriginal Mission during the dry season throughout the N.T. working with kids and families. During this time our priorities were obviously with the Mission.
Then in November I just bought my first detector, a CTX3030. In one way I wish I had it when in the N.T. and far north Qld passing through the gold fields.

For now I'm on a steep learning curve but slowly it's coming together after reading the manual and Andy Sabisch's book continuously. My main interest is coins in parks and older areas and the beach occasionally. Here in Toowoomba it seems the soil is quite mineralised as it's redish brown and sticks to a magnet and very crumbly. ( How do you tell if it's mineralised? ) I've buried some pre-decimal and decimal coins in my yard from 2" to 8" deep and some with rusty nails etc. to learn what they sound like and the numbers they produce, though I'm having trouble trying to get a response from florins and shillings at 6" to 8" deep.

A few questions please:

What does the Fe and Co ID number placement on the detect screen actually mean/ do they relate to the position of the target cursor?

With Bin segments, devisions, tone id's, patterns and htz values, How do they work? What do they mean? Do they relate to each other?

Does Response, Recovery or Target Separation work together? Do they work independant of each other?
Being an old Mechanic and dyslexic I want to understand how and why things work as this will help me understand, remember and learn more about detecting.

I would really appreciate some help with modified settings and pattern numbers with reasons or comments for the modifications used and what possible changes may be needed in Toowoomba.
Especially for Decimal and Pre-Decimal coins, Goldies, Silver and Gold and Jewellery for Parks and the Beach.

I hope this is not asking too much from those with CTX knowledge an experience.

Cheers Bob.

as you probably know a ctx is not a gold machine , but in the iron filled gold fields it will vacuum out the coins and better relics

Latest posts