Identify please

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PMac77

Pete
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Im unsure if this is in the correct section but I have two pieces of this, the piece pictured weighs about 1.5kilos and sounds metallic when struck with another hard object. It almost has a wood like grain on the outside? I hope you can help or lead me in the right direction. Thanks people.
1551947794_7161594b-98c2-43f2-a59b-19a2ecca3c1d.jpg

1551947795_e507fb29-7444-4c24-82e6-4da5a46d7ef0.jpg

1551947796_d9eb3be2-088d-47f7-90bb-70e9f61a5de1.jpg

Looks like petrified wood.

The petrified wood pieces I have from near Mount Hay all make a distinct clinking or ringing sound when struck.

LoneWolf said:
Burnt Stringy Bark. ;)
.. I have a piece of Petrified wood that when you hit it, it has a ring like steel... That was found 200m deep out Roma way, caught up in a Gas Well drill rig....

LW....
Thanks LW

LoneWolf said:
Burnt Stringy Bark. ;)
.. I have a piece of Petrified wood that when you hit it, it has a ring like steel... That was found 200m deep out Roma way, caught up in a Gas Well drill rig....

LW....

love to see a pic :)

What I have is a piece of a very large lump that jammed the drill and they had to pull the drill up and smash it off.. That's where I got my piece from.. I was told later that they had to replace the cutting head as it stuffed the bit..:money: .... The hole they drilled was a dud as well... So a waste of $$ all round...
:poop:
:trophy:
1552032880_img_0250.jpg

LW...

LoneWolf said:
What I have is a piece of a very large lump that jammed the drill and they had to pull the drill up and smash it off.. That's where I got my piece from.. I was told later that they had to replace the cutting head as it stuffed the bit..:money: .... The hole they drilled was a dud as well... So a waste of $$ all round...
:poop:
:trophy:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7355/1552032880_img_0250.jpg

LW...
Doesn't look much like fossil wood. You need very close up, clear, and not too dark or light photos if you want identification

PMac77 said:
LoneWolf said:
Burnt Stringy Bark. ;)

LW....
Thanks LW

Goldierocks, I don't need an ID.... I know what Mine is.... Petrified Wood....

LW....

Hey Lefty, funny you should mention that metallic ringing sound as we have piece of petrified wood my dad found that makes the same sound. Out of all the different pieces and types we have its the only one that made such a sound. Weve wondered about it for years.
Mount Hay, hey. Could be where he got it.
Martyz