Pounamu Jade carving

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had my first go at carving New Zealand jade just before Christmas and I loved it. So relaxing!

I got to draw my own design, in this case I chose a whale tail as I have always liked the design and then I added a wave. Before I knew it, 5 1/2 hours had gone by.
The finished carving is about 5cm x 5cm.

A great way to pass a rainy day in NZ. Highly recommended if you get the chance. :)

1551866149_whale_tail_2.jpg

Looks fantastic Kurra. :perfect:
The wave gives it that traditional koru look. Lovely stone pounamu.

Thanks for the encouragement Dihusky and Mr Magoo.

I have been wanting to join the local lapidary club for some time and after doing the carving I am sure I will enjoy learning.

Maybe there will be more carvings or maybe some cabochons in the future. I may even enjoy some simple faceting :gemstone:

Beautiful work kurra! :perfect: :)

I've never done any work with jade - was it challenging to polish? I've heard it can take some effort to get a polish on it.

kurra said:
Thanks for the encouragement Dihusky and Mr Magoo.

I have been wanting to join the local lapidary club for some time and after doing the carving I am sure I will enjoy learning.

Maybe there will be more carvings or maybe some cabochons in the future. I may even enjoy some simple faceting :gemstone:

No such thing as simple faceting... exacting skill and sometimes very frustrating as I am sure a few will agree here.

If you have an eye for carving that's very special, I can cab and facet but I don't have the eye to carve :(

Hi Lefty!

yes it does take a bit to get a good polish on the jade. I polished away with all the usual different size paper and still was having trouble getting a good clean shiny surface. One of the fellows that was explaining each stage as I carved found a difference paste polish and put me on a big wheel that I had to add what was like a chalky substance and told me to hold onto the jade tightly. He wasn't kidding. It felt like the wheel would rip the piece out of my hand.

This did the trick and the surface is now quite polished.

Dihusky!

maybe I had better stick to learning how to carve then ha ha! I can see how much time and effort goes into the amazing gems produced by our members. A real art!!

kurra said:
Hi Lefty!

yes it does take a bit to get a good polish on the jade. I polished away with all the usual different size paper and still was having trouble getting a good clean shiny surface. One of the fellows that was explaining each stage as I carved found a difference paste polish and put me on a big wheel that I had to add what was like a chalky substance and told me to hold onto the jade tightly. He wasn't kidding. It felt like the wheel would rip the piece out of my hand.

This did the trick and the surface is now quite polished.

Dihusky!

maybe I had better stick to learning how to carve then ha ha! I can see how much time and effort goes into the amazing gems produced by our members. A real art!!

Yeah, I reckon it's probably to do with the structure of nephrite, I know it's a mass of interlocking fibres runnning different directions. Stuff like that tends to undercut. Sounds like he had you polish with some sort of oxide, they are usually a white, chalky paste. Even though I do a lot of polishing with oxides myself, I wonder if they ever polish jade with diamond? If any polishing medium can overcome undercutting, diamond is usually it. Different polishing mode to oxides. Perhaps there's a reason to stick with oxides on jade though.

Like Dihusky says, faceting is a bit of a complex procedure - but don't be put off having a go, it's very satisfying when it works :perfect: :) Carving is something I should have a go at myself some day - like Dihusky, I can facet and cab but haven't ventured into carving.

Thanks Taylormarc and Detectist :)

Lefty!

I also used a paste which was a light pinkish colour before I used the oxide. He rubbed some on the stone and then sent me to the wheel. We didn't get into the technicalities too much.

You may just find carving as relaxing as I did and with your skills I'm sure you already have most of the knowledge tucked away under you hat :D

Pat!

thank you for the very inspirational images of Michael B's carvings. What a talented man. They are awesome :Y:

Latest posts