Manual and Automatic Tuning GPX

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevewilko

that's right it was me....
Reaction score
I am wondering why my GPX 4800 via the Auto Tune function always selects a channel in the 195 to 210 range. Always...

The minelab auto factory tune preset is channel 128.

I have paid attention to detectorists' considering the use of a channel between 80 - 120, and I believe this is accredited to a midway point between low and high frequencies.

The manual reads;
"Manual Tuning through the full range is time consuming.We recommend that you use the Manual Tune for fine adjustments after performing an Auto Tune (p. 32)".

So I do the knob winding knob turning exercise trying to find and remember a quieter channel!

No, I have been selecting the quietest point between 80 - 120 regardless. With this in mind - the minelab preset is not far away either.

If you would help, thanks, stevewilko

stevewilko said:
I am wondering why my GPX 4800 via the Auto Tune function always selects a channel in the 195 to 210 range. Always...

Possibly because in your area, 195 - 210 is a particularly quiet range. I always notice when in a bad emi area, the Auto Tune is usually a high number.

stevewilko said:
The minelab auto factory tune preset is channel 128.

The manual reads;
"Manual Tuning through the full range is time consuming.We recommend that you use the Manual Tune for fine adjustments after performing an Auto Tune (p. 32)".

128 is just the mid-point on the scale, there has to be a value in there from factory, so why not start in the middle. The manual is correct in that if you get to a new spot, it would take forever to audition the noise level in each channel number.

stevewilko said:
So I do the knob winding knob turning exercise trying to find and remember a quieter channel!

No, I have been selecting the quietest point between 80 - 120 regardless. With this in mind - the minelab preset is not far away either.

If you would help, thanks, stevewilko

I think it is sometimes possible to find a quieter single channel, than what the Auto Tune selects, and you can find a sweet spot for a particular location, but this is usually worked out (calculated??) over repeated trips to the same area. If you keep a finds diary, well worth jotting down your Tune number whenever your machine was running sweet and particularly when you found something.

Latest posts