Tassie fossicker

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,
My partner and I are new to the forum and have been doing some prospecting and fossicking around tassie for a year now. We joined to learn more and meet like minded fossickers. We have found some sapphires, topaz, smoky quartz, agate in our adventures. Our favourite places to fossick include weld borough area and Gladstone. Were looking to start panning for gold and possibly metal detecting. Just looking for a little bit of guidance on equipment and general localities. Not expecting anyone to giveaway exact locations just some direction to areas and how to go about asking permission on tenements and private land. :)

Welcome to PA there AvidHunter89 nice part of the world you are in hope to get down that way later this year and looking fonward to your updates .
Roy

Hi guys, heading up to the northeast with my wife on the long weekend for a bit of panning and gem hunting. Probably staying at the frome rd campground if it's not too busy. Check out the MRT list map for previous mineral discoveries and details on current tenements and contact details for who holds them. Some will reply. Others won't bother.

AvidHunters89 said:
Hi All,
My partner and I are new to the forum and have been doing some prospecting and fossicking around tassie for a year now. We joined to learn more and meet like minded fossickers. We have found some sapphires, topaz, smoky quartz, agate in our adventures. Our favourite places to fossick include weld borough area and Gladstone. Were looking to start panning for gold and possibly metal detecting. Just looking for a little bit of guidance on equipment and general localities. Not expecting anyone to giveaway exact locations just some direction to areas and how to go about asking permission on tenements and private land. :)
The gold that was recovered at the Queenstown copper mine paid the wages for years. It's the obvious place to detect in Tassie with lots of quartz around. I don't know if the mine is still operational, if it is you could ring the mine admin for permission to detect on the lease.

Thanks for your replies guys. We look forward to seeing some of you out on the field. And thanks for the info regarding permissions.

welcome to the forum also a tassie member and good luck with the gem hunting

Latest posts