Help identify this buckle?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just scored this buckle from my permission site today, the land owner wanted to keep it unfortunately, its probably my best ever find! Its in great condition, the movable prong part still swivels! Looks like potential it had some gold gilding on it maybe!

Id love to pass on some info to the land owner, he was over the moon with the find!

1550975860_80901613-2625-458c-be1a-b0799e80ef95.jpg

:Y:

With the pins being so short and thick (heavy duty), I'd say it's from a leather item, so shoe buckle, belt buckle, or even a hat buckle. Looks a bit fancy for saddlery, but some people had fancy saddlery too. Three pinned buckles were also used for cravats, sashes, vests and knee breeches, but I think this one is a bit heavy for those items. My guess... At that size and so decorative, I'd say a ladies item - a shoe or hat buckle. But really, it could be any of them! :D

After doing some research online, I now believe it is a men's neck stock buckle. The neck stock was a white piece of stiff linen that they secured at the back of the neck with a neck stock buckle, then tied all manner of cravats and ties over the neck stock.

Imagine how hot they were in the Aussie Summer!! Could be why they disappeared so fast here... :cool:

1551064964_neck_stock.jpg

Latest posts