Problem with my Patrol

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Judging by the number of head bolts , piston crowns. Wiring for glow plugs and turbo I'd guess diesel.
Under 500k for a diesel....... it's barely run in :D

Hey dog, good info.
im well aware it needs more than head maching!
So give up on the.....
Bob is not far from me, and I have local knowledge of decent workshops.
And I agree with injector issues etc to fracture the tops like shown.
Fuel I beleive is out of whack.
Opinion only.
They come cheap

Being a DX non turbo model Bob your engine possibly has different pistons than the factory turbo models.
If you decide to get a new donk it might be worthwhile getting your hands on a turbo spec motor as they are the strongest of the TD42, followed by the silver top GQ motor (which is in my Patrol) and lastly the black top non turbo donk (yours unfortunately)
Do you run a boost gauge snd pyrometer on your rig? A must in my opinion to keep an eye on how the engine is running.
Those hills around Turondale are long and steep and I find sticking in 3rd gear and just taking in the scenery keeps the temps a lot lower than labouring 4th gear on those long slogs.

Goodluck with it mate, yell out if you need any pics from my gregory's manual :Y:

Thermal fatigue of the pistons?

Wonder if there are more cracks? Might be worthwhile hitting the heads with some dye penetrant.

Hi bob, sorry to hear your predicament. By any chance you did not accidently get some unleaded in the fuel ? Contaminated diesel with unleaded.
Diesels do not like that either.

No I dont think that I could have gotten contaminate diesel. The last 40L or so that I put in came out of jerry cans I borrowed from a mate but I know that they had good diesel in them as I refilled them for him a few weeks ago.

On further examination of the injectors the one on cylinder 4 appears to have a problem
1550894898_20190217_152032.jpg

The one on the left is off cylinder 4 , the right one is off no1.

My old cruza motor gave up the ghost about the same klms,the ringlands in the pistons were buggered,couldnt afford a rebuild,old school fella did the head for $150,barrels were ok,honed it in the chassis,new pistons and rings big end caps,cost about $6-700,this was about 8 yrs ago,it got us all over wa for yrs,sold it 12 months ago and was still goin strong,my 2 cents if ya on a budget,good luck with it.....

The Patrol is back on the road :D :D :D

Took it its first run this arvo. Everything looking good at this stage. There are a few issues to look at in the morning but nothing Im worried about

A couple of minor oil leaks but they appear to be from the oil filter and the sump gasket. should be able to sort them in the morning.

Also need to bleed the cooling system

All going well I should be heading the WA around the start of May for this season hunting nuggets :p

I did a basic basic rebuilt at this stage. New pistons, rings, pins, conrod bearings, gaskets, injectors, glow plugs, oil, cooling fluid, beer , bourbon, oil filters, fuel filter.

B4 heading west I will change the thermostat and the coolant along with the radiator cap and an oil / filter change change.

It took just under 50 hours to do the job from start to finish. ............. Ok , there were a few beers along the way :p

Did you have the head machined, crack tested? I ask because you said you still need to bleed the cooling system.

Latest posts