Problem with my Patrol

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last Saturday while driving up Box Ridge on the Turondale Rd on the way to Bathurst the Patrols engine went pop,started to blow smoke and over heated.

I turned around and headed back to Hill End taking 2 hours to get back, having to stop to let it cool down. It felt like it was running on only 5 cylinders.

On Sunday I removed and checked the injectors and it appeared that one was not working . After cleaning and reinstalling it the problem still existed.

On Monday I started to remove the head. What a job :mad:

I managed to get the head off this morning and below is what I found.

1550657587_20190220_123052.jpg

Does anyone have any idea what may have caused this?

Im glad that it happened now and not in a few months time whist Im travelling across to WA for winter

all i know the early model patrols had problems with the piston up against firewall but any after 2006 weren't to bad ( dad was diesel mechanic

Was it the same pot as the injector you had an issue with?
$70 for a head machine in Mudgee m8.
Possible hot spot from bad injector?

Thats unusual looking damage to the piston crown, almost looks like its split from metal fatigue or had an impact somehow.
Did you hear any rattling when it s*;t itself?

there is a number of problems that can cause cracking incorrect quantity of fuel injected low compression lack of cooling and performance chipping pretty much can cause pistons to crack how ever you are up for a few dollars in a rebuild and injector service hope this helps you find the cause

No water got into the system as there was no evidence of water in the oil when I drained it or oil in the radiator fluid

The injector only played up after the initial problem and was covered in oil b4 I cleaned it.

At this stage Im putting it down to fatigue due to age. The engine has done 465k and these appear to be original pistons

Balmain Bob said:
No water got into the system as there was no evidence of water in the oil when I drained it or oil in the radiator fluid

The injector only played up after the initial problem and was covered in oil b4 I cleaned it.

At this stage Im putting it down to fatigue due to age. The engine has done 465k and these appear to be original pistons
Number 4 cyl = normal for a pootrol :eek:
If water ingress was into pot then oil or coolant won't show any contamination It just burns it .
Either or iether it's gunna dent ya wallet :|
Besides the obvious problem in fourth pot, there has been a lot of bad going on in the fifth looking at the bore damage :|
Bit more than a head machine required before she rolls down the road again I'm afraid.
If you do a rebuild get pump checked and calibrated also :Y:

I removed the rest of the pistons today and on closer examination 3 of the remaining 5 have cracks in them.

They appear to be original so Im putting this down to fatigue due to age. There are no problems with the block. What that is shown in the first photo is just after the head was removed and a bit of oil and water have run down into the cylinders. I examined the head gasket and there are no sign that it has blown

here is a photo of the other 3 pistons

1550724993_20190221_153612.jpg

Bob you need to address cause before anything?
K's on motor are low for a diesel.
If you note all pistons are cracked the same
I would say you have a fuelling issue.
Fix the damage and not address the cause will be a costly exercise
Check head also for cracks from water jacket to inlet ports
For my money excess cylinder pressure is the culprit
Given common across all cylinders look for something that will effect all cylinders such as pump timing etc
:Y:

Smoky bandit said:
Do yourself a favor and save in the long run...put a rebuilt or replacement moter in mate...Everything will be on its last legs with that engine..
No point replacing half of it . :beer:
Agree but you still need to address the cause :( otherwise you will end up with same result different motor. This is why many engine builders now won't warranty unless pump and injectors are reconditioned at time of engine replaced
Hope whatever way you go works out well for you as no one needs the expense :/

Dog Ranger said:
Smoky bandit said:
Do yourself a favor and save in the long run...put a rebuilt or replacement moter in mate...Everything will be on its last legs with that engine..
No point replacing half of it . :beer:
Agree but you still need to address the cause :( otherwise you will end up with same result different motor. This is why many engine builders now won't warranty unless pump and injectors are reconditioned at time of engine replaced
Hope whatever way you go works out well for you as no one needs the expense :/
High klms would be my guess :Y:
Plus I thought it was petrol.
Good luck BB what ever you decide to do hope you get it fixed without to much cost.So you can get back to finding more GOLD :)

Latest posts