GPX5000 Setting Variations Between Coils?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Folks,

Is there a settings 'trend' in terms of coil types / sizes when using the 5000? (Assuming all else is equal.)

In other words, if coil size goes up a couple of inches and requires certain setting changes, will another similar coil size increase just require a further settings adjustment of the same order?

Or is there no change required for say coil size for eg? Ditto for monos that are round v elliptical...

Interested in your thoughts - I'm aware that there are changes called for between mono and DD, in addition to above.

My thoughts, anything above 16" you need to change the motion setting from slow to very slow.
Due to the size of the coil this give the receiving part adequate time "comprehend" all ground signals including metallic targets and produce an audible tone.
Obviously the swing style needs to suit the setting too!

No Not really. Flat wound coils will be noisier than bunch wound so gain may need to be a little lower, larger coils may be more prone to EMI and ground noise but there is no 'trend for settings' as such.

Even with the same coils, settings will vary from day to day, for different goldfields, even time of the day. The same applies when changing coils.

The key is to really learning the machine. Listen to what it is telling you and how it applies to your detecting style. Don't be afraid to experiment with settings. I always take a small test nugget (mine is approx .4g but anything between a .3 and .6 would do) and test your settings. Adjust to give best performance with lowest ground/emi noise.

As for the motion - I always use either slow or very slow. These give the best performance but you do have to slow your swing down. Again it will depend on the circumstances as to what setting I'll use, not necessarily the coil choice.

Unfortunately I see people never changing their settings and often struggling to find gold.

A few things make a good prospector (not sure I'm there yet)
  • Knowing how to read the ground and putting yourself in a place with the best chance of finding gold[/*]
  • Knowing the machine and being able to adjust on the fly to suit what ever conditions present[/*]
  • Having the right mindset [/*]

Each one is just as important as the other.

It really depends on the ground. Big coils are less sensitive to surface mineralisation, so in an area with zippy hot rocks, the smaller coil will always run noisier. But if the ground is mineralised at depth, particularly deep clays, wet ground etc. then the larger coil is seeing more ground per sweep, so may struggle with dealing with it all. A smaller coil will usually run better in this instance as it is seeing a smaller "chunk" of dirt. To make the larger coil happy, reducing the Gain is the first step, but also a faster motion setting can help to reduce broad ground signals.

As Pat said, conditions change all the time, so listen to what your detector is telling you and make small changes as required.

washgravel said:
steelPHASE said:
..., larger coils may be more prone to EMI and ground noise....

I agree that a larger coil is more prone to EMI however I feel that a larger coil is less prone to ground noise than a smaller coil.
I second that. I also found larger coils to handle ground better than smaller ones especially on highly mineralised.

Latest posts