You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Banz
11 July 2019 10:44 am

Wally69 wrote:

cool I would say it is 9ct gold with onyx and diamond, I have an exact matching ring

Oh cool!

Any idea what it might be worth? I’m not a ring person so it’s not really any use to me other than being a cool find...

golddiggerart
11 July 2019 10:50 am

Gold yikes.. Very nice looking ring.. thumbsup

Never give up on your dreams.... They are all worthy of your focus.....

Banz
28 October 2019 02:12 pm

I haven't gone out specifically much recently but still managed a couple of interesting things in familiar places.

1572231642_hatbadge_crop.jpg

AWM wrote:

This is a hat badge from the Australian Instructional Corps. I sent a pic to the Australian War Memorial and they sent this back:

Thank you for your enquiry to the Research Centre of the Australian War Memorial.

I forwarded it to the curators of our Military Heraldry section, who manage our collection of military badges. They have supplied the following information about the badge:

"The badge is an officer’s badge for the Australian Instructional Corps and dates from the 1930-1942. The finish was originally gilded brass with red and blue enamel. Hat badges were 45mm wide and collar badges 28mm".

For reference this is what it would look like if it were in better condition. You can see traces of red and blue in mine but only traces.

1572232299_pict0031.jpg

I would love to have a stab at working out who owned it which I reckon might be possible by cross-referencing a list of people who have lived at our place with members of the AIC but I don't have either of those lists at the moment!

The bullet-shaped object was found in the chipbark at the local playground.

1572232111_bullet.jpg

A mate reckons it is not a fireable bullet but rather a fake one of some sort. I am not a firearms expert so not sure I got all of what he was saying.

9 users like this post: Dave79, silver, Heatho, Sandta, Goldpick, numpty, golddiggerart, Ship of fools, brianincnb

Goldpick
28 October 2019 09:41 pm

Nice find Banz, any Rising Sun is a bucket list item for many. The cartridge doesn't look to have a primer in item, maybe it was off a necklace or something. big_smile

Prospecting gear: Used - Whites GM3, GM2, GMT, ML XT17000, ML X-Terra 305, Garrett Gold Stinger, Tesoro Vaquero, Nokta RS pinpointer, Minelab Explorer SE Pro/Etrac, Ace 250
Current - XP Deus, Equinox 600, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Teknetics G2, Whites SPP, Garrett Infinium, XP MI-6, Whites Bullseye TRX, Deteknix X-pointer, Garrett AT Pointer

Banz
28 October 2019 11:40 pm

Thanks Goldpick.

I meant to say that the badge came from our back yard, the last unexplored area up behind a retaining wall. I was not expecting anything but that can be when you get lucky!

There was a kind of belt buckle type thing near it which I will photograph and post up here. No idea if it is military but I’m sure the boffins on here will have an idea.

I’m actually staggered how much as come out of our suburban back yard but I think now it has given up all its treasure. It’s a shame as it’s an easy spot to scan but I have been really lucky with my finds.

just starting
29 October 2019 06:46 am

Banz wrote:

I haven't gone out specifically much recently but still managed a couple of interesting things in familiar places.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … e_crop.jpg

AWM wrote:

This is a hat badge from the Australian Instructional Corps. I sent a pic to the Australian War Memorial and they sent this back:

Thank you for your enquiry to the Research Centre of the Australian War Memorial.

I forwarded it to the curators of our Military Heraldry section, who manage our collection of military badges. They have supplied the following information about the badge:

"The badge is an officer’s badge for the Australian Instructional Corps and dates from the 1930-1942. The finish was originally gilded brass with red and blue enamel. Hat badges were 45mm wide and collar badges 28mm".

For reference this is what it would look like if it were in better condition. You can see traces of red and blue in mine but only traces.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … ct0031.jpg

I would love to have a stab at working out who owned it which I reckon might be possible by cross-referencing a list of people who have lived at our place with members of the AIC but I don't have either of those lists at the moment!

The bullet-shaped object was found in the chipbark at the local playground.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … bullet.jpg

A mate reckons it is not a fireable bullet but rather a fake one of some sort. I am not a firearms expert so not sure I got all of what he was saying.

Nice finds, Banz.

Try this website and type in the surname you are looking for and hit Search. Then when the list of names comes up, use the Search filter on the right to type in the town or suburb so you can narrow down the results . I did this when i found my rising sun on our family property and discovered relatives i knew ,but didn`t know that they served in WW2 and other relatives i didn`t know of that lived in the same town and served in WW2 .

http://nominal-rolls.dva.gov.au/

Hope this helps.

FOZ

Banz
29 October 2019 11:42 am

Thanks FOZ, I'll take a look when I get some time over the next few weeks. Much appreciated.

The "buckle"I spoke of is this...

1572309702_buckle.jpg

Any ideas anyone?

I haven't tried to clean it up apart from loosening some dirt in hot water. The rust is as I found it.

1 user likes this post: just starting

just starting
29 October 2019 08:11 pm

Looks like a buckle off an old fashioned waistcoat belt like the ones those blokes wore in the movie Arthur .

Banz
03 November 2019 07:34 pm

Well, it seemed a bit senseless at the time but I decided to have another go around the yard. I found a 2c and NZ 1c in the front yard which made the effort worthwhile. I decided to finish with a swing down the side of the house where I found the shilling, more because it was shaded and still soft from the rain than from any great expectations.

I got a very thin beep which I almost didn’t dig as it felt like the detector was trying to discriminate out. When I finally found the target after a few misses I immediately felt it was not a 1c as I had the NZ one for recent reference. A quick rinse in water later and I found I had dug this 1951 Threepence!

1572769897_ca62612d-bf1e-4e19-9d25-f0f2f83adbda.jpg 1572769915_05d30d78-33e8-43f1-a196-ad681880079e.jpg

So thrilled and can’t help feel it is linked to the shilling. If memory serves it was very close to where the shilling was so every chance I didn’t check the hole first time around. Maybe an old coin spill??!?

5 users like this post: AtomRat, Heatho, numpty, golddiggerart, Ship of fools

AtomRat
03 November 2019 07:50 pm

Great finds for your own property!

Wisdom is knowing how little you know

Goldpick
03 November 2019 08:42 pm

The threepence may have been sitting on edge which may explain the dodgy response, how much discrimination are you using?

Prospecting gear: Used - Whites GM3, GM2, GMT, ML XT17000, ML X-Terra 305, Garrett Gold Stinger, Tesoro Vaquero, Nokta RS pinpointer, Minelab Explorer SE Pro/Etrac, Ace 250
Current - XP Deus, Equinox 600, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Teknetics G2, Whites SPP, Garrett Infinium, XP MI-6, Whites Bullseye TRX, Deteknix X-pointer, Garrett AT Pointer

Banz
04 November 2019 12:05 am

Goldpick wrote:

The threepence may have been sitting on edge which may explain the dodgy response, how much discrimination are you using?

I have a $50 Kogan special which I have set with the discrimination at about 11 o’clock. It seems to pick up coins pretty well and also found that gold ring (see up thread) under the turf. I haven’t really tried it with different discrimination.

Is it worth going round the yard again with different discrimination?

2 users like this post: Smoky bandit, Ship of fools

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site