Minerama 2019

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not that long before the Glen Innes Minerama with a change of location this year.

Speaking to a few locals, the idea of moving it to the Showground comes with a degree of scepticism. The previous location, adjacent to the Services Club, Woolies and general proximity to the main street made it very convenient for a beer or shopping.

Camping for the outside stall holders does not seem all that well defined, but the convenience of camping on the oval right next to the stalls made for a good level of security.

Wonder what others who are contemplating a stall or just visiting might think?
mike in glen

A show at the show ground....... dont think it will be out of place there. Quite a few visitors camped there last year, so a few more like-minded campers congregating together might make the beer go down easier.

Downside will be the 1km trip to town to restock, unless they open up a beer stall.

Most I know are NOT happy with the change... Increase in stall fees and the 'Camping Fees' are a bit over the top at $20 per night for what?...
There will be some that like it and there will be some that don't... But I think it is rude to charge $20 to camp if you have a stall there. They say that it covers the 'Caretakers' extra work, Poor buggar, he has to actually do something to earn his $$ now.. :rolleyes:

I think this year they will notice that less will attend the 'New' venue, and they really need some new venues for the field trips with most trips are going to the same old locations where nothing much has been found there for years.. Crossmaglen is the only trip worth anything, and even that place is getting flogged out...

At least Gemorama have new Locations EVERY year and We scout out several times before We take the Fossickers in.... We have 2 locations secured for this year and soon We will have the third... Lots for the Mineral Collector this year.. ;)

You also need to update your insurance policy to $20 Million now at most gem events...
I have everything in place and hopefully will have a stall there this year ... :koala:
See you there Boobook... :Y:

LW...

Considering making the trip for this though it's a still a bit on the hot time of year spectrum for my taste. But that fossicking bug is biting already so I might just have to deal with it. Curious about Crossmaglen, is that a property or something as I can't get a hit on maps for it. Certainly won't miss Gemorama this year LW, when do you think you'll be posting more info about the details for that.

Crossmaglen is a property.
Fossickers only allowed on for the one Minerama trip each year.
Nearly lost it a few years ago because of one idiot. :mad:

1549700205_930112ce-75a2-4b9d-a0bc-66ced319e948.jpg

1549700205_9bd0d456-fd92-45dd-9e50-2980d8f9397f.jpg

the mrs and i were going to go to glen innes for this for the first time this year . we were going to camp and make a weekend of it but when she checked it out on the web and found out there is no camping on site like there is at lismore show where you can camp right there we are having second thoughts now , probably wont go at all . we could just cruize over there for the day and back same day but that would defeat the idea of us having a camping weekend and turn it into a lot more driving in one day not sure i want to do that . texas to GI is not that big a drive but still not what we wanted to do .
johno :/

That is a disturbing conclusion Johno ???. I thought general camping has always been allowed at the showground. .???

In years gone by, camping at the venue was limited to stall holders only, though that had changed this year with the move to the show ground. Would be odd to exclude general camping at the showground. Can anyone clarify ???

Thanks"jimnyjerry. How are the trips timed? Could you say do two on the one day or are they a case of picking one or the other?

Squint said:
Thanks"jimnyjerry. How are the trips timed? Could you say do two on the one day or are they a case of picking one or the other?

One or the Other....
What was the Oban trip like last year Jimnyjerry?

LW.....

Thanks LW. Contacted through their site and got the same response. Opinions please, Friday's trips are Glen Elgin and Kingsgate. Which would be more rewarding? Not after specific finds so that's not an issue would just like to find something worthwhile.

Kingsgate OMG :eek: ... I had to check the Minerama site and was disappointed to read Kingsgate Station. :/ :( 8.( ... Never been there so can't help on that location... Could be the choice trip for the day tho... Not too sure but I don't think many have been there and is also easy sandy digging.... So 'they' say...

LW....

For any serious mineral collector, I would jump at Kingsgate.

The lump of quartz crystal as my avatar came from there, we used to take our visitors out at a cost of $5pp/day...Bargain price.
As well as quartz, molybdenite, bismuth, wolfram, tungsten minerals can be found.

A few years ago the area was closed off to the public due to new exploration licences being granted so short term agreements may have been reached.
Unless new roadworks have been constructed, it used to be a fairly rugged drive in!
mike

The 'Kingsgate Station' trip is on a Grazing property, before you head into the Kingsgate Mines area...
A mate looked at purchasing a property on the North side of Kingsgate Mines 2 yrs ago... We jumped at that opportunity to scout the property as I found out there were 4 pipes on the property... We meet the Realestate agent out there and said that we wanted to walk the boundary... The RE fellow wasn't up for a bush walk, so he left us to look around... We found the 4 pipes after some heavy walking and we were hopeful that we would find lots of goodies... All well and truly gone now... We only found lots of smashed Crystals and tiny bits of Molly... They ran dozers over the area to make it 'safe' quite awhile ago... But we did find a 'Rare Flora' plantation growing up there... Must be a long term project according to the info below...

Funny that Mines would say this about What They found there too (down the bottom of the info in 'notes').... {) :)
another 'Location' further north also mentions the same Rare 'flora'...

(Boyd and Morris prospect)
Coords: -29.803150,151.964971
Mga_coordsys: MGA_56S
Mga_north: 6702578
Mga_east: 399975
Loc_method: 25K
Accuracy: 100
Major_comm: Mo
Size_code: OCC
Comm_type: METMIN
Met_prefix: GRAFTON
Met_no: 1884
Hist_map: GX0530
Geo_province: New England Orogen
Metal_dist: not assigned
Op_state: not operating
Op_status: ceased
Op_method: pit(s)
Lga: SEVERN
Locality: Kingsgate
Length: 10.00
Width: 10.00
Depth: 1.50
Work_desc: Shallow pits or scrapings.
Compiler: RE Brown 13/06/1995 & 24/11/1995
Last_update: 1997-09-22
Occur_size: Occurrence only
Update_hist: R.E. Brown, 13/6/1995 & 24/11/1995
Notes: Scattered pits are developed in eluvium near the top of the ridge. These have prospected abundant white quartz float evidently searching for a concealed pipe. No mineralisation was observed, although the small marijuana crop on the rocky flank of the hill could be a valuable commodity. Hydrothermally-derived pipe :perfect:

LW.....

Aha!!
That would be on the property "Kingsgate Station", was owned by the late Basil Quilty, son of the late Tom Quilty, a WA station owner who originated the (SEQ?) endurance horse ride event.
I knew Basil quite well, never one for airs and graces but a top cattle man. I think his son's carry on the tradition.

There is another interesting type of rock formation in that locality, "columnar basalt" in long hexagonal prisms. Some years ago a local modified a concrete saw to cut it into pavers but the hardness caused too many problems.

Actually that "flora" mentioned is not so rare, a few years ago we were prospecting in the old Warra state forest and up near the boundary spotted some white foam boxes in a neat row. Closer investigation revealed them to contain that similar "rare flora" species that does seem to thrive in various locations within the New England Ranges.
When seen, best left alone....known to be jealously guarded. :cool:
mike

That's a shame those trips are booked out. The main reason for going was to share a day or two in some good locations with experienced fossickers. Still new to this so learning was my main goal. Research is great, but time in the field with some more knowledgeable folk is what I need at this stage. I think. :D

Latest posts