Portable Hot Water / Shower Systems

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Would like to know if anyone has used any of these hot water shower systems and if you've had any problems with the units thank josh.

1397043911_image.jpg

I have the Coleman, I did have a problem it kept turning off, but was fixed under warranty. Needed a replacement control module. Otherwise works like a dream.

I have done one mod though. Instead of pumping water from the heater outlet straight to shower head, I put in a 3 way valve.

I wet myself down, then turn the valve which diverts the water back to the supply bucket. That way I'm not wasting water. Then I soap up and wash, then I turn the valve back to the through position and rinse off. I can shower in about 3 litres this way.

condor22 said:
I have the Coleman, I did have a problem it kept turning off, but was fixed under warranty. Needed a replacement control module. Otherwise works like a dream.

I have done one mod though. Instead of pumping water from the heater outlet straight to shower head, I put in a 3 way valve.

I wet myself down, then turn the valve which diverts the water back to the supply bucket. That way I'm not wasting water. Then I soap up and wash, then I turn the valve back to the through position and rinse off. I can shower in about 3 litres this way.

Similar issue with Coleman burner sometimes switching off - but mostly happens when missus is using; no probs when I use. Good idea re 3-way valve - better than turning off -soap - up - turn back on and rinse. That approach might also fix the aforementioned issue ... which only seems to happen after having turned off and then turned back on again shortly after.

Hi josh
I had one of those Coleman hot water system..
It was a ripper.. Didn't have any trouble with it.. Until one windy day blew up, and sent it flying off the camp table
Onto the ground, must have done some sort of damage that we couldn't see, because after a few more goes
With it, we smelt smoke, and it was on fire!!!!! Oops..

Also those small green bottles you can buy for them run into a bit of money.. :mad:
Not enough gas, they run out way to soon.
So what we did was buy the lead and fittings and hook a 9 kg gas bottle onto it.. That worked a treat..
A lot cheaper..
Last time I looked at the small gas bottles you can buy for the Coleman were like $8.95 each..
That was a about a year ago..
Hope I haven't confused you too much.. :D

I have the gas hose as well, the only restriction is that my bottles are on the van, so I either take one off to the shower or put the shower close to the bottle lol.

The other thing is that if I use a 20L bucket for the water, (white one with lid) and if I am slowish washing, the temp of the water gets to a point that the heater cuts off, but the water is warm enough to rinse by then.

Then I put the lid on and the next time I shower, I just top up the water. This works better than the supplied flexible water container. (which leaks from the pump connection)

When I don't use the Coleman, out bush, I just boil the kettle, use the van sink and a face cloth and do the "armpits n arseholes" bit :eek:

condor22 said:
When I don't use the Coleman, out bush, I just boil the kettle, use the van sink and a face cloth and do the "armpits n arseholes" bit :eek:

Just make sure you get the order correct :p

FWIW my cousin uses an old keg (small size) that they have adapted and they put a lpg fire ring under it. It can be continuously topped up. Hot water out one way, cool water in another. There are 6 of them he swears by it, sorry not sure what it is known as. I believe it is a pretty common setup. No electrical parts, tough as nails. However may be a little big for your purpose. Worth investigating though.

Westaus said:
condor22 said:

Just make sure you get the order correct :p

FWIW my cousin uses an old keg (small size) that they have adapted and they put a lpg fire ring under it. It can be continuously topped up. Hot water out one way, cool water in another. There are 6 of them he swears by it, sorry not sure what it is known as. I believe it is a pretty common setup. No electrical parts, tough as nails. However may be a little big for your purpose. Worth investigating though.

Hell, when I was in the military, bathtime consisted of a mallee root fire under a 44gal drum, 1/2 a bucket per man per day in an enamel bowl. That was for washing and shaving and you dipped a cup canteen in the bowl for a mug of water to brush yer teeth.

When you had finished you had to fill the half bucket with cold water and top up the hot. BTW that was for 80 men.

The cold bath option was used in a river in S.E. Asia.......

I digress, lol

Me and the wife have a small bilge pump with a old shower head attached place the pump in a 10l bucket half full of cold water' boil the billy on the fire and tip it in. Clip lead to car battery and your off, you will be surprised how well it works and we have been doing this for years.
Cost $50 you can also use the bilge pump for other stuff like filling water tanks ,small sluice , transfer fuel (that wrecked the pump and hose but got us home).
If we are hiking we have the sea to summit dry sack with the shower head in the bottom this also works just as good $30 from rays outdoors. There is very cheep options without dragging around gas bottles and a heap of unwanted gear/weight.

G'day

I'm looking at getting one of these
http://www.bushranger.com.au/hot_water_shower.php
It's basically a heat exchanger tapped into the car's cooling system and saves taking any extra gear or adding any more weight. We previously used the Cube and it works great but don't want to cart the extra gear around anymore

Cheers

Chimpy

Tried the Oztrail shower bucket? $40 - chuck the rope over a tree, fill 'er up, unscrew shower head and away you go. I understand the need for flash showers if you have chicks with you, but for blokes - these are really the bizz. On a sunny day - just leave a 20lt jerry out all day - nice warm shower.

Have the kmart version. Just a couple of bucks. Suggest buying a couple of pulleys to winch it up & down the tree with ease. Found could have warm showers (even in Vic) with about 1/3 its 'almost' full volume. Also had $2 showers in Newbridge. But one was cold! That one should have been back at the tent!

If you are in the Maryborough area, the indoor pool, will let you use their HOT showers for $3 (price as at last June)
I used them every 3rd day, the rest of the time it was a face cloth, soap and a small amount of hot water from the kettle.
Bit like the bed bath you get in hospital.

If you really want to save on water, you can use those things called Wet Ones.

You only need one for a complete wash - face first, armpits second, bum hole third, but don't try it when you have a skin-full of booze because you are sure to get the sequence out of whack.

Jeff

Hi Jaros,

That one is very similar to the one we bought and they work great. Took it down to Glen Innes/Guyra area in May and it was a godsend. Wife loves it. We got a 12v water pump thrown in with ours. :lol:

Cheers

Doug

Wow that is cheap!
We have two, one I put together myself, and one we bought as a kit at the last camping show.
They certainly are good and economical.

Latest posts