Faceting Machine

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Need help with purchasing a faceting machine. Im a rookie and unsure what i should be getting. Any pointers and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Good luck with that, there doesn't seem to be to many around. My mate is teaching me on a Hall Machine, they are a top machine apparently, first machine I have seen.
Half way through my first stone should finish it this week. The hobby has got me hooked that's for sure.

Cheers

Firepanther said:
Need help with purchasing a faceting machine. Im a rookie and unsure what i should be getting. Any pointers and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

What sort of budget are you looking at?

Mr Magoo said:
Firepanther said:
Thanks

What sort of budget are you looking at?

Under $1000 hopefully. Although if you had to spend more to get a better machine i would consider it.

You might be lucky on that budget... That would limit you to a second-hand unit and that in itself could lead you to some major alignment issues that will cost your purchase price in repairs.. That being said they are out there for $1000, just beware... I don't know anyone who wants to sell theirs... I sold my old Robuilt for $400 as it needed major re-alignment and I couldn't afford to pay that... I will ask around for you...
Some Gem clubs sell old machines when they are up-dating, but usually they are snapped up by Members...

LW...

LoneWolf said:
You might be lucky on that budget... That would limit you to a second-hand unit and that in itself could lead you to some major alignment issues that will cost your purchase price in repairs.. That being said they are out there for $1000, just beware... I don't know anyone who wants to sell theirs... I sold my old Robuilt for $400 as it needed major re-alignment and I couldn't afford to pay that... I will ask around for you...
Some Gem clubs sell old machines when they are up-dating, but usually they are snapped up by Members...

LW...

Thanks. I'll have to do some serious research and see how i go

Ill Ask around for you too i know some old time cutters that may sell ill get back to you

If you're going to find a machine that doesn't need a heap of work, expect to pay upwards of $2k, that might get you a Gemmasta GF3, possibly a Hall, maybe an early Ultratec. The critical elements to consider are variable speed and the ability to dial in 1/10th degree otherwise you'll be looking to upgrade fairly quickly.

Both our machines which are Halls, a 2000 and an Xtra were second hand and cost us in excess of $2500 each, both needed bearings, belts and re-alignment which fortunately I could do myself. There arn't many people who service faceting machines.

Good luck.

Dave Innes from the Inverell Rock shop most likely will (if he is in a happy mood :rolleyes: ), but you will certainty pay for his services... He wouldn't do my old machine tho as there were too many issues with it... The cost of machining up new parts was close to $1000.... And that's with a good mate discount.... I will call him tomorrow for you, as he did have one but im not too sure if he still has it or has sold it... :koala:

LW...

Sorry Firepanther, He sold his Machine 6 months ago.... Sold for $1600. Cheap for what it was... He is going to ask a few cutters he knows....

LW...

LoneWolf said:
Sorry Firepanther, He sold his Machine 6 months ago.... Sold for $1600. Cheap for what it was... He is going to ask a few cutters he knows....

LW...

Hey lonewolf no problem. Looks like my dad who just retired wants to help buy one so could potentially be around $3000 now.
What sort of machines are around that price range

I don't think there is much left of Tassie after watching the news tonight... Gee you fellas are having a bad time with those Fires... Hope all is well and You are safe...

LW....

LoneWolf said:
I don't think there is much left of Tassie after watching the news tonight... Gee you fellas are having a bad time with those Fires... Hope all is well and You are safe...

LW....

Yeah its pretty bad atm down here. I'll head back out next week on the fires. We had to evacuate a whole town due to how quick the fire was moving.
1548976442_screenshot_20190201-101203_gallery.jpg

1548976442_screenshot_20190201-101127_gallery.jpg

1548976443_screenshot_20190201-101143_gallery.jpg

Its good though. Command makes sure everyone is safe and theres never really any danger unless you don't follow orders.

Dihusky said:
Does the Apple Isle have Gumtree?? ;) Think you might have to cross the Straight to open out your options.

If you spot something of interest in SEQ, happy to help out and take a look.

Yeah we have gumtree :p
Didn't find anything on there. Im going to meet one of my dads friends who does faceting that i never knew of so hopefully he can give me some pointers. Im not rushing into buying one though

Latest posts