Old Miners Ring

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1547781794_57ae12b4-d807-40b8-879f-2beb8b0f3589.jpg

1547781794_d4fbdabc-343e-4bc9-816b-f692db849c22.jpg

1547781795_1472a7c2-adf8-4e2d-8f58-88e6f46f8588.jpg

Hi all,
Check out this old miners ring that I found in the Whipstick. It appears to be made from a brass alloy & was quite tarnished when I found it.
Ive done a little bit of research and so far it appears to be from the 1850s. Id be interested if anyone can shed anymore light on its origins?

Thanks Heatho,

It has got the markings on the inside, but I got a Jeweller mate of mine to check it out and unfortunately its not gold.

Apparently at the start of the rushes brass rings were sometimes sold to unsuspecting prospectors (while they were still green) as Australian gold for a memento.

So I suspect that this could be one of those.

Irrespective of what its made of, I am rapt to have found it as its a nice looking piece and a rare piece of our history.

There's one for the bucket list! Awesome find, I reckon someone getting duped into buying a fake gold ring is a better find than the real thing.

Nice work Bullwinkle top find mate :Y: :power: :fistpump: even if it is brass like you say that's a ripper piece of history.

Thanks Ron, I initially thought that it was a cap off a shot gun shell.

It was heavily tarnished when I dug it up. I could see that it was a ring, but was stoked when I gave it a rub & could make out the spade & pick. Couldnt have thought of a better theme.

Im thinking about getting my jeweller mate to make a reproduction for me in gold.

Hahaha, good on you Gunter, youre getting on bit ole mate, I reckon you would have lost it in about 1860...... :D

That's a cracker find Bullwinkle! I'd be breathing a sigh of relief that the pick didn't get the best of it while digging it out. I'll bet it could tell a yarn or two.

Throw a pic on this thread if you go ahead and get a gold replica made up in the future (good idea that).

Cheers,
Shauno.

Thanks Shauno,

The more that I think about it, especially after a couple of frothies, I will get it copied in gold. My Mrs wants one also. When I do, I will definitely post it.

I'm heading out to the same spot tomorrow, hopefully it's an omen. :playful:

Cheers.

Latest posts