Total beginner and new to forum

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been somewhat interested in metal detecting for a few years, just from wondering what you might find at the beach rather than pulling out a life-changing gold nugget. Didn't actively pursue it but received an el cheapo Kogan for Xmas as a fun starter.

I've had it out a couple of times just over the road on the nature strip just to see if I can locate any metal whatsoever. Miraculously found $1.70 in a 50cm diameter area just below the surface on the grass verge ($1, 50c, 10c, 2x5c) where it must have fallen from someone's pocket while sat on the ground. That and a metal railway spike was the beginner's luck I needed to give me faith that the metal detector I have is capable of finding metal. Second time out I only found an iron pipe and some bottle tops.

The goal I guess is to use it on the beach when we are camping as a bit of fun when the kids are otherwise engaged or my mates are fishing. I'd like to get a handle on the sensitivity and discrimination settings before then such as they are on the machine I have.

I'm joining the forum for general information and advice once I start to know enough to know what I don't know!

Cheers,
Banz
Brisbane, Australia

Hi mate, sounds like you're off to a good start.

Unfortunately I can't offer any real words of wisdom as I don't detect on sand.
I guess over time you'll learn the sounds, but as many on here have said ' dig em all '

Welcome. I too don't go to the beach. I'm out at Karara Qld. 2hrs from Brisbane. Good luck. Post your finds.

Good start mate. I used to have a cheapy detector and it went alright on dry sand but goes nuts as soon as you get near the water. mine didnt even come with a manual so the settings were a bit of a mystery to me and I always used it in all metal mode and dug up everything..... Lotsa railway bolts and big lumps of iron mostly! Hopefully the kids have fun and top up your sinker collection.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I have been spending the odd half hour in the back yard but with headphones on to see if I can discern different tones. So far I have dug up 1 x 10c, 2 x 2c and 1 x 1c of actual stuff worth having. There was an old key and a wingnut which were a bit different and then a load of junk (piece of rebar, ring pulls, bottle tops, nails, and a small piece of lead sheet). I have been concentrating on the areas of the yard where stuff would be likely to be dropped, near the house and stairs.

Still having fun finding stuff but don't really feel as if I am getting better at setting it up to ignore iron while detecting anything else. I think I may just have to "dig everything" and take the bad with the not so bad.

Having read a few posts on the etiquette of going into public places I feel more informed but maybe less confident about going out and about with it to local parks. I know not to dig holes and to leave the places as I find them but I don't feel ready to get out there yet. I'm still keen to take it camping with us though which will be the first real adventure.

Latest posts