Depth Tests For Big Gold Nuggets.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks. If anyone have done depth tests for big gold nuggets please share your results in this tread. If you know of any tests done by other gold prospectors please post a link to the relevant web page. I am curious to know what's possible with the current technology available and how deep we can go.

I know that the GPZ can pull large gold over say over 20oz down to about 1 metre or more. I'm sure others will add stuff into this thread but I don't think many people will add too many specifics such as area or actual large nuggets they've found themselves, you never know though, they might. :eek:

Rockhunter62 said:
Hi Candigger,

I can say that my GPZ 7000 has found a 2 oz nugget at 20 inches on High Yield. :goldnugget:

Cheers

Doug

This sounds just about right from what I see on many videos and reports. It's curious though that so few have replied to this thread. I would think many more would be interested in the possibility of finding deep big gold slabs. May be not. Digging those holes it's probably not much fun, huh?

A QED running an 18" Elite coil found all targets at the Coiltek test sight near Maryborough, with the deepest and largest target (5.5 oz lead sinker) easily heard. Therefore one could reasonably expect it to be effective on big gold at depth.

I did some tests with a real 27oz nugget some time back and found that the larger the coil, the deeper one could detect it in ground (not surprising). The largest coil tested was a 38" mono, which gave a clear response at 34 inches.

Sorry if this falls out of topic, but my experience is that test lead or gold buried do not always give a good example. We have dug some oz to 2oz specemin targets, actual gold content, and once unearthed and you then drop back in the hole the coil would not pick up at ground level. And yes they came from the bottom of hole, not the edge. So in saying that even though i have used test patches i only use for an idea of depth, and for learning the machine settings and capabilities then go from there.
I think people who find very large gold would be very shy in posting pictures. Harder to sell afterwards as buyers want some of these nuggets to have never been seen on media of any sort. On another note, not every body films every target they dig so then saying it was found at a certain depth is really only hearsay. Just like the fish that got away.

traveller gold, companies like Minelab spend a lot of money on test beds, so if they thought such tests were a waste of time I am sure they would not bother with such expense. Minelab's own web page goes to great detail in explaining the relevance and importance of testing under different soil conditions.
People who require anonymity regarding buying big nuggets sometimes have a reason..... Money laundering.

I use sdc in conjunction with 7000 i near turn off 7000 once got signal from sdc in hole i took 3 weeks to go over one patch using different settings different times of day temp,emi,even at night less noise wind etc and with good result at good depth ,on a average 3to 5 grm nuggets at foot to2 feet deep sometimes i was left scratch ing my head how did i miss that nugget and came to conclusion run the machine to it max as u can ,an as it will allow at that time day or night all i say just push your machine to the max as possible!!

Must be testing weather..Just finished 2 days with 5000 and 4500..coils were smaller 11,s ..17x11,s ect..15 rounds ,18 rounds Coiltek and nugget hunter new type..All our coils are new type except for a 22 inch nugget finder..We wanted to know Who reins Suppreme..Also had my 24x12 nf..As expected the elliptical mid size coils were better in the shallow ground 12 inches..Because in that depth you are going to have more coil on the target..When we got down to 32 inches and 2 Snapper leads the mid size elipticals were out of their depth..my 24x12 nf..was out of luck also..The winners were 18 round nf and Coiltek equil winners..The 22 nf, round older grey one was also out of luck..The new coils are better than the old ones..We were using enhanced on both detectors..Naturally in Normal setting gave sensational responce as you would expect from that more powerful setting..But you need very quiet ground to be able to use it..We even tried the small coils on Normal thinking they might Run quieter but that didnt work either..Cheers

I found some satisfaction in determining what my unit could do by burying a gold wedding ring (safely in a small cube of polystyrene for easy relocation at varying depths). At the depth that I could not detect it, I decided it was deeper than I would normally want to dig anyway.

It was the ex's wedding ring, A very satisfying experience burying it....overall a catharctic experience.

aussiefarmer said:
Theres nothing fun about deep gold , try digging a hole more than 400mm deep and swing a coil in it , then when you realise you need to make hole bigger to be able to go deeper isnt fun in my book, but i am yet to get anything good from deep holes its usually iron .

Oh that's crap. Iron is not fun to dig. I got few a meter deep holes after Iron instead of valuable artefacts, but this is the nature of metal detecting. Most of the time is crap.

Reg Wilson said:
A QED running an 18" Elite coil found all targets at the Coiltek test sight near Maryborough, with the deepest and largest target (5.5 oz lead sinker) easily heard. Therefore one could reasonably expect it to be effective on big gold at depth.
I did some tests with a real 27oz nugget some time back and found that the larger the coil, the deeper one could detect it in ground (not surprising). The largest coil tested was a 38" mono, which gave a clear response at 34 inches.

I have seen short video on Bugwhiskers You Tube channel - Reg with a big gun. Is this the same coil you are talking about?

Candigger said:
aussiefarmer said:
Theres nothing fun about deep gold , try digging a hole more than 400mm deep and swing a coil in it , then when you realise you need to make hole bigger to be able to go deeper isnt fun in my book, but i am yet to get anything good from deep holes its usually iron .

Oh that's crap. Iron is not fun to dig. I got few a meter deep holes after Iron instead of valuable artefacts, but this is the nature of metal detecting. Most of the time is crap.

Show us the big deep gold that you have dug and we'll believe you ;)
Show us the gold son ;)

Baldy said:
Must be testing weather..Just finished 2 days with 5000 and 4500..coils were smaller 11,s ..17x11,s ect..15 rounds ,18 rounds Coiltek and nugget hunter new type..All our coils are new type except for a 22 inch nugget finder..We wanted to know Who reins Suppreme..Also had my 24x12 nf..As expected the elliptical mid size coils were better in the shallow ground 12 inches..Because in that depth you are going to have more coil on the target..When we got down to 32 inches and 2 Snapper leads the mid size elipticals were out of their depth..my 24x12 nf..was out of luck also..The winners were 18 round nf and Coiltek equil winners..The 22 nf, round older grey one was also out of luck..The new coils are better than the old ones..We were using enhanced on both detectors..Naturally in Normal setting gave sensational responce as you would expect from that more powerful setting..But you need very quiet ground to be able to use it..We even tried the small coils on Normal thinking they might Run quieter but that didnt work either..Cheers

I am getting the impression that huge coils are not necessarily better as they seem to require to pull back on the power output. Did I get this right?

Only if you want to run Normal or Sens Extra.
In Enhance, usually a slight tweak is all that is required to tame some EMI.

Latest posts