Mogo area N.S.W. information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone
Well i think next week i am going to shoot down the road to Mogo forest for a day or two, now i am not asking for spot 'x' etc what i am more concerned about is access and specific area dangers there, i am a fairly smart cookie and have been hunting, hiking etc solo many times, so in the sticks alone isnt my main worry but i havent been in/around mogo before, so have a couple of questions
1. I have to unfortunately take my everyday road car, toyota camry V6 as the 4X4 is in the middle of an engine swap, are the dirt roads ok to travel on in that forest, obviously wont be doing big creek crossings etc, but just general roads ok?

2. is the area specific hazards like open mines, crazy local property owners that i need to be aware of?

I will be taking the safety gear with me, and food/water etc to last a lot longer then my possible night or two so please dont stress about that lol, anyway thanks guys and happy hunting
Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Have you got your forestry fossicking permit ?, there are forest areas east and west of the highway to explore, I have found a little colour in the past about 3km upstream from Mogo on Mogo creek.

The maps on the Forestry corporation website are pretty good to find the tracks etc.

regards

Barry

Hi Barry
Yeah have my permit, as of yesterday. I have the forestry map and been looking over it a bit just unsure where that gold is, i cant see it on the map lol thank you for a starting place tho, i appreciate your hep mate

Hi Jamie,

Most of the main dirt roads that run west and east of the highway around Mogo can be driven in a sedan. If you are looking at getting down to a creek to do some panning, you will probably be best off leaving the car on the main track and walking down. There are a lot of unmarked old shafts around but if you keep a good eye out when walking you will see them pretty easily. Depending on where you end up, If I'm not working there's a good chance I may run into you.

i am guessing you know the area willo, i was looking at going in/around missions road and working my way back and forth to kellys creek, i see there are a few mines around that spot so i figure it may be worth a look

Misons Road is pretty rough. You could get in there in a sedan (very carefully) but some parts are very rutted.

is there a better general area?, not asking spot 'x' unless you feel really generous lol
edit: it is a $400 toyota as long as i get in and out its ok

A word of warning in this area. DON'T leave anything valuable or even half valuable visible in your car. There are a lot of break ins around Mogo and its probly more chance this time of year.
Also the place is lousy with snakes.

CB

cheers CB, that is one thing playing on my mind, being solo, car parked in the bush with me not near it and it not being there or burnt out when i get back to it

Just realised you can't camp in mogo state Forrest so that ruins that idea of camping in there,going to have to leave find a camp site then drive back to mogo to keep prospecting, what a pain that is

As far as I know you can camp there. I have seen plenty of people set up camps there. It is just that there are no designated camping areas like in other state forests and national parks.

Hi Jamie
Lot's of rain down here at the moment. I was going to go out yesterday afternoon and early this morning, but it hasn't stopped raining :( . Bring an umbrella.

Hi willo1 I will be mostly detecting, I am floating around in a silver4x4 hilux with ladders on top,if your out it would be great to meet up
Cheers greg

Lol it certainly is, I've been checking out a lot of the areas in the doug stone gold atlas, so far all a found is lead, and a few casings. I'm tossing up wether to do another day or head home tonight.
Would love to break in the 4500 with a little nug but so far I've done no good lol

Latest posts