Black Springs Sapphires and Surrounding Area

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy folks, new to the forums, studying to be a geo and my first fossicking trip was to Mount Hope chasing quartz. Trying to venture out more locally and I went out to Sapphire Bend for the first time last week, here is how I did out of my first roughly 4-5kg of gravel. Nothing particularly large, but one sapphire which I believe is of a very high grade, however it is too small so remains as a specimen. But its an easy 1hr drive for me so worth the trips out there. I'd love to get a cutter as I'm part of the Bathurst Lapidary club.
1547380184_sapph1.jpg

This is my total takings from around 8-10 pans. 2 greens, 2 zircons probably and the rest blues. One of the large flat ones looks like it has phantom growths (ill get a better quality photo later, bad focus)
1547380734_sapph_phantom.jpg

1547380043_sapphs.jpg

Does anyone know currently of access to the Blue Hills quarry? Most of the information on forums is a few years old and want to chase some smokey quartz.
Or otherwise, are there better locations around the Sapphire Bend area for cutters, as this is where I'll likely be.

I'll also be keeping my eye out for the mystical man known as Tex.

Here's a better quality image of the sapphire that looks like it shows similar growth patterns to phantom quartz

1547423984_sapph2.jpg

Sushi.
That last pic nicely shows part, including the centre, of the longitudinal hexagonal structure of the crystal.
These days the good parti colour stones are the ones with decent value, they cannot be synthetically manufactured (yet).
Don't forget there are false bottoms in that area, when you think you are on bottom, use a probe and see what the next 150 or so mm of depth reveals.
mike

boobook said:
Sushi.
That last pic nicely shows part, including the centre, of the longitudinal hexagonal structure of the crystal.
These days the good parti colour stones are the ones with decent value, they cannot be synthetically manufactured (yet).
Don't forget there are false bottoms in that area, when you think you are on bottom, use a probe and see what the next 150 or so mm of depth reveals.
mike

I'm thinking of using a small hand augur or something similar to test depth levels. Thanks very much for the info

Hi all just joined he forum taking a trip up to Oberon this weekend 19th January 2019 any one push me in a direction for gems never fossicked up that area yet I do love streams 1st time out with my adult son he wants to look for gold looking forward to the weekend with him ------ Harry
:D

Latest posts