How to make beef jerky / recipe

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for all this information. what is the best cut of steak for making jerky?
ben

One of my mates gets venison Jerky from an other of his mates - ohh sooooo good!!!

i use rump steak as it is cheap because i slaughter my own cattle but like ramjet said any lean meat but make sure you cut off all of the fat because it will go rancid and for safety sake make sure you dry it at least 70c so it kills any bacteria ive even herd that people have used kangaroo i my self haven't tried kangaroo as jerky

ive just fired up the dehydrator that you recommended. I marinated 2 different flavours overnight. one is a simple pepper marinade and the other is a chilli garlic. has been going for nearly an hour now and the garage smells awesome.
ben

For those using a multi tray dehydrator with the cooking time of 7.5 - 8hours: after 3-4 hours, take the bottom tray (tray 1) and replace it with the top tray (tray 6).
then swap trays 2 and 5, 3 and 4. this will give you a consisitant cook through all of your jerky.

Wow, interesting thread. We made our jerky very much like the above, different mixture of sauces, chilli, garlic and use rump steak. Marinade in the fridge overnight. We've also done roo. By the way, don't forget your dog. Ours loves liver treats so I buy a liver or lambs fry, put it in the freezer till firm for thin slicing, and then that usually makes five trays for $2 or $3.

the hardest thing i find when making the jerky. is stopping my self from eating it all at once lol

I adore jerky but have never tried to make it myself. Do you recommend any particular cut of steak?

Cheers

Edit: looks like the question was already asked and answered, sorry. :/

Sarn said:
I adore jerky but have never tried to make it myself. Do you recommend any particular cut of steak?

Cheers

Edit: looks like the question was already asked and answered, sorry. :/

I use topside piece about three kilo... But I make biltong , I find it much better than jerky , just takes a bit longer. Four or five days. Very simple really..

Interesting topic adamaus, might have to give it go after reading that recipe! Just curious though would it work on a turkey breast as the missus cant eat red meat??

The Green Wanderer said:
Interesting topic adamaus, might have to give it go after reading that recipe! Just curious though would it work on a turkey breast as the missus cant eat red meat??

Hi GW. Jerky can be made with just about any lean meat.
Just Google 'turkey jerky' and you'll see hundreds of recipes.

Corned beef silverside from Coles. Sliced, then soaked for 24 hours in Worcestershire sause, then dried. Cheapest.

Alternatively lean silverside from butcher sliced on the devon slicing machine saves a lot of fiddling and gets a uniform thickness. Least effort.

So the better half got me a food dehydrator for farther day, I've had 2 go's at making beef jerky with the recipe that came with the food dehydrator, but both times it tasted :8, has anyone got a recipe that they would like to share.
the recipe that came with the food dehydrator

1x cup soy sauce
1x cup brown sugar
10m liquid smoke
marinade for 1 1/2h than drain

Steve

Latest posts