Another Fridge

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have had to order a new ARB 78L Fridge/Freezer,

1547037761_arb_78l_fridge_freezer.jpg

Ded Driver said:
Ridge Runner said:
I have had to order a new ARB 78L Fridge/Freezer
:Y:

a man/woman should not be without a mobile tavern
I cant live without mine :beer: :beer: :inlove:

Absolutely, My ARB 47L has a Drink problem ??? It only holds 72 Cans, This one holds 120, No more problem :playful: :beer: :Y: :perfect: Lol.

You probably should have 2 fridges if you have an extended stay anywhere. Power for them then becomes a problem. I have a combination of 2 x 45ltr. fridges,1 x 135AH AGM Batt. and 2 Deep cycle Lead acid batts + 160W solar panel to keep them alive.

Jaros said:
You probably should have 2 fridges if you have an extended stay anywhere. Power for them then becomes a problem. I have a combination of 2 x 45ltr. fridges,1 x 135AH AGM Batt. and 2 Deep cycle Lead acid batts + 160W solar panel to keep them alive.

Yeah Jaros I think your right, I have done a lot of testing with the 47 and it is big enough to use as a freezer for long term stays but a fraction to big to use as a fridge/Maybe ? but the big one can be used for long term freezing as in a month or two at a time, Powerwise the 47 uses between 9.5 to 10.05 watts per hour when used as a fridge when plugged in to 240v on a camp site and about 15 to 18 watts when used as a freezer,

Happy New Year Jaros, I am Glad you made it, all this heart stuff is tough to come to terms with when it first happens, You stay safe Mate, :Y:

Standard procedure now when we head off prospecting. "Old Yella" 1983 - 39L Engel runs as a "freezer only" for our meat, other necessities stow in our 180L Dual Fridge/Freezer Engel.
64W Solar permanently fixed to cab roof charging 110AH deep cycle. Alternator tops up battery while travelling, when away from ute swinging for a nug or two, a portable 120W fold out solar wired in series is plugged in via Anderson.

***Many say Engels are too expensive*** If you compare our set up with that of my two mates, Old Yella, 1983 & 180L Dual, 2008 have outlasted 7 lesser quality fridges.
Needless to say money for reliability, we are many $'s ahead for fridges alone not adding up the amount of food lost and trips cut short AND less gold found. :playful: ;)

Nightjar said:
Standard procedure now when we head off prospecting. "Old Yella" 1983 - 39L Engel runs as a "freezer only" for our meat, other necessities stow in our 180L Dual Fridge/Freezer Engel.
64W Solar permanently fixed to cab roof charging 110AH deep cycle. Alternator tops up battery while travelling, when away from ute swinging for a nug or two, a portable 120W fold out solar wired in series is plugged in via Anderson.

***Many say Engels are too expensive*** If you compare our set up with that of my two mates, Old Yella, 1983 & 180L Dual, 2008 have outlasted 7 lesser quality fridges.
Needless to say money for reliability, we are many $'s ahead for fridges alone not adding up the amount of food lost and trips cut short AND less gold found. :playful: ;)

I didn't know they made a 180L fridge that's maahooosive :Y:

I wanted the 80L Engel or the 60 but over here they want $2675+ for it :( The ABR 47 has been nothing short of awesome so I went with the 78L and I got it for $1341.00 which is not too shabby ay, :Y: :cool:

NL was another option but they can be power hogs, but I'm not paying 3 to 4K $$ for a fridge that's a little OTT ay. :N:

Jaros said:
Both 45ltr 's are Engels. Economical to run and very efficient as well as robust. :perfect:

Yeah I don't think you can go wrong with Engel or ARB, being designed in Australia for Australia they both seem to stand out from the rest of the market, regardless of the cost there is no way would I buy any other brand and personally I think Engle and ARB are as good as it gets, If the dealer had of answered my calls I would of bought the Engel silly thing is he also sold NL, ARB and Terrafirma, But the company called Flatdog 4x4 have always stood by me for the last 3 years and always do me a deal @$1341.00 and the next cheapest was $1543.00 and they have done this with everything I have bought from them. :Y:

stoyve said:
G'day John,
Have you ever thought of changing your name to
"Fridge Runner"?
Just sayin :playful:
Cheers Steve

Steve I wish I'd thought of that LOL,

I must admit I do like buying new toys, but keep that to ya self,

I gotta do something to pass the time, The weather is freezing here and the doctor has banned me from detecting for 18 months to 2 years, still getting over the side effects of the open heart surgery, the left side of my chest is still very tender and there is a load of other stuff going on with my legs where they took the veins out, They are a mess, I got more Scars than Frankenstein :skull:

My days of a being a super model are over 8.( :(

Jackthehound said:
I was looking at that one but it is way too expensive and I saw one that got damaged during delivery that was on amazon but due to the complaints/review ARB got it took down, even while it was in it's box inside another box all the back end was smashed in, plus they start to look pretty scruffy fairly quickly after a few months in the bush,

I prefer the Classic series with the Blue and Grey, they are tougher than the stainless version, and removing the lid on the blue ones is easier than on the stainless model, The stainless one looks good but the looks won't last,

But I wanted a much Larger Fridge, I also looked at The bigger Engels and SnoMaster, but here they are over priced and they don't have the features that ARB have, My 47L ARB has been a God send, After months of testing I would not buy anything other than The Blue ARB's or and Engel, At one time I had my doubts even with ARB but they tick all the boxes and it has done every thing I have asked of it, On AC or DC it is so economical to run it consumes so little power it's not funny.

Can't wait to get testing the bigger one.

Nightjar said:
Ridge Runner said:
I didn't know they made a 180L fridge that's maahooosive :Y:

Good pick up RR, Yes! 80L is correct.

The 80L Engel is a work of Art, It is so robust and well thought out, I keep checking the site over here hoping to find they have had a bit of humanity about them but alas "NO", not to worry because the ARB's are right up there and they are an Aussie Company and they more than tick all the boxes, And there is nothing to pick between the two,

I just regret not buying them sooner because they open up a whole new world when it comes to freedom of choice when it comes to what food you take, In March I've had the 47L 3 years and it runs on the smell of an Oily Rag, Regardless of the brand I think 12v Fridges are the ultimate Accessory, they just work away doing their thing, just wish they made cars and trucks as good. :Y:

If you want to talk to someone who knows a bit about Engels, talk to Uncle Graham (not my Uncle) at EngelWorld, Midland, WA. http://www.engelworld.com.au/en/content/4-about-us

Had a long discussion with him at a Caravan & Camping exhibition when we bought the 80L Combo in 2008.
He invited me up to his store where he gave us some Engel gifts. He took me out into his work shop and showed me the workings of many Engels laying dead in a corner.
He went into detail about a thesis he wrote for a local university about running Engels with a generator. Honda were going to take him to court but he proved his point and the action was dropped. Why you say?

Graham asked me what does a motor do when it runs out of fuel?
The only answer I had was, "It surges several times before stopping."
He pointed to the dead remains and said, "The majority of those dead Engel workings are the result of running them with a generator, even the later inverter models."
"Run your Engel at home with 240V from the grid but never from a generator."
"You could get away with running it from your 240V outlet on your generator many times but there will come a time you will run the genny out of fuel and poof it may possibly die.

If like many of us who venture into free camping his advice is and I swear by it, always run your fridge connected to a 12 volt battery when away from the grid. Plug a 240V/12V battery charger into your generator and keep the charge up in your battery. Surge in the power, even inverter models can pop a capacitor or other electronics necessitating a complete unit change out. (approx $1100.00 ten years ago)
Don't take this as gospel from me, no doubt there is something wrong with this explanation. Ring EngelWorld, Waeco, ARB etc if interested and get expert advice.

**BTW this advice is for any make and model of 12V/240V electronic controlled equipment.**

Latest posts