Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day

I'm originally from Vietnam but grew up in Oz in the early 80's.
I'd like to consider meself an aussie as this is the place I call home.
I've travelled quite a bit around Europe and most of the Asian countries, but there's really no place like Australia.
Australia really is The Lucky Country now that I've seen what the others have to offer.
Anyways, I'm new to prospecting but have always had an interest in this hobby but never really got into it.
I will start prospecting at the end of this month or early Feb, but at the moment I'm doing a bit of research into the equipment required(metal detector,accessories etc).
Thrilled to find an oz prospecting forum as I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions to ask and the wealth of knowledge you guys have acquired.
I look forward to conversing and hopefully meet up with forum members for some prospecting adventures.

Cheers :D

YLR what do you want to find gold, relics, coins I ask this because it varies on what detector you buy or do you want pan for it ,there are many people on this forum that will give you good advice good luck regards john :Y:

Thanks for the warm welcome gents.

Bullwinkle said:
Welcome YLR. What part of the country are you located in mate?
I'm in Sydney, NSW mate.

old hand said:
YLR what do you want to find gold, relics, coins I ask this because it varies on what detector you buy or do you want pan for it ,there are many people on this forum that will give you good advice good luck regards john :Y:
I'd like to look for gold to start off and see where things lead.
I've been doing a bit of research on detectors and minersden have a special on the Minelab X-TERRA 705 for $634,which seems like a pretty good starting price point for me.
But yeah, any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi YLR the 705 is a great detector for the money is that the single or double coil pack for $634 But it does have its limitation when you are after gold and I wish I still had mine great at relic hunting.

Roy

YLR, Im in central Vic, but I note that in the member meet up section of this forum, there is a catch up at Hill End towards the end of March.

These gatherings are for all members so perhaps check that one out & if youre keen & have the time you might like to jump on board.

Just a word of warning though, some people go a bit funny in the head once they find a bit of gold (from personal experience).

All jokes aside, it is a fantastic hobby. Every outing is an adventure and you never stop learning.

roy cobb said:
Hi YLR the 705 is a great detector for the money is that the single or double coil pack for $634 But it does have its limitation when you are after gold and I wish I still had mine great at relic hunting.

Roy
I think it's just a single coil.

Bullwinkle said:
YLR, Im in central Vic, but I note that in the member meet up section of this forum, there is a catch up at Hill End towards the end of March.

These gatherings are for all members so perhaps check that one out & if youre keen & have the time you might like to jump on board.

Just a word of warning though, some people go a bit funny in the head once they find a bit of gold (from personal experience).

All jokes aside, it is a fantastic hobby. Every outing is an adventure and you never stop learning.
Thanks for the info mate, much appreciated :D

Latest posts